OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Rem 700 LTR .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Rem 700 LTR .308
    Posted: January/19/2005 at 22:40
I bought this rifle, Rem 700 LTR in .308 20" barrel, well over 4 years ago and I'm just now getting it set up.  I've always wanted to get a Leupold 3.5 - 10 M3 however I'm wondering if there are some cost effective options out there in comparison.  I'm thinking about setting it up with a Super Sniper 10x40 however I'd prefer to have the option of lower power for hunting since it's a handy size and not terribly heavy. 

Any ideas? 

Also wondering about bases and rings.  Tactical Rifle did a write up on this rifle years ago and the author set it up with a 2 piece dual dovetail and a Leupold 3.5 x 10 M3  The article never did say if this setup had enough adjustment to  shoot out to 800 yards and beyond? 

I've been pondering Mark 4 2 piece bases?  I like the idea of a 2 piece base for ease of chamber access or a cut away one piece. 

Thanks for the input,

Crusader
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 09:11
I went with the Mk 4 4.5-14x40 LR/PR.

I prefer the 1-pc base.  The Ken Farrel base is a very tall 1-Pc and tapered allowing better acress to the chamber. 

Quote Tactical Rifle did a write up on this rifle years ago and the author set it up with a 2 piece dual dovetail and a Leupold 3.5 x 10 M3  The article never did say if this setup had enough adjustment to  shoot out to 800 yards and beyond?

The 3.5-10x40 M3 will have about 32MOA elevation. With a 20" tube, that should get you to about 825-850yrds max but not to 1000 with the 0MOA base. 
I would go with a 20MOA 1-pc base if you decide on a 3.5-10x40 M3.

The Mk 4 4.5-14x40 LR/PR will get you to 1000yrds with a 0MOA base.  Just figure around 43MOA above a 100Yrd zero for a 1000Yrd zero.  Then multiply that by 2 (only half the max range is elevation).  Check the max adjustment range specification of the optic, ideally you would want 90"@100yrds or better.

Edited by Boomholzer
USMCRONIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMCRONIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 20:39

Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
w/20 moa slope base for longer ranges. (can't beat the Iron Bagade Armory one peice mount)

I have one on my LTR and is shoots less then 1/3moa when I do my part.

One can not spend too much money on GOOD HIGH Quality optics, you WILL get what you pay for.

Crusader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 23:53
Thanks for all the input.  I have decided to go with a Badger Ordnance base on the Remington 700 LTR, however I haven't been able to figure out what height of Leupold QR Rings I need for this riffle.  Actually will be using the same scope, Super Sniper 10x40mm 10x, on 3 different rifles also with Badger Ordnance one piece base.  I'm sure the medium will work on all 3 however I'd prefer to go as low as possible. 

Thanks,

Crusader
Crusader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 00:06
USMCRONIN,

Forgot to ask - What is your favorite and most accurate load in the LTR?  I'm assuming it's the .308 version.  I've read that the barrel fluting has harmonically tuned the barrel to shoot certain bullet weights better than others?  The more details the better. 

Thanks & Semper Fi,

Crusader

Edited by Crusader
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 00:17
Boomholzer, you may know more than I do about this but I thought that the Leupold M3 versions had 1MOA per click instead of 1/4 MOA per click so that whatever rifle or cam you used the scope would be able to go 100 to 1000 yards in 1 complete revolution.  Like I said though I could be wrong.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 07:08
tbone,

Yes, the named M3 scope has 1 MOA elevation and ˝ MOA windage adjustments. And I believe you are correct that all M3's have the same MOA per click.
However the full adj range is 65in@100yards or roughly 65MOA.  
Whether it is 0.25, 0.5 or 1 MOA per click, the given adjustment range does not differ.  Two different specifications.

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_3_5 -10x40mm_LRT_M3.htm

Edited by Boomholzer
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Crusader Crusader wrote:

USMCRONIN,

Forgot to ask - What is your favorite and most accurate load in the LTR?  I'm assuming it's the .308 version.  I've read that the barrel fluting has harmonically tuned the barrel to shoot certain bullet weights better than others?  The more details the better. 

Thanks & Semper Fi,

Crusader

Any and every rifle has a load it tends to be sweet on. I would'nt read to much into the LTR's fluting creating some special situation.  Adding flutes to any barrel should change the harmonics, but in the case of the LTR, they are not designed to "tune in" one specific load.

For shelf ammo, 168gr FGMM works very well.

jonnyringo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 12:14

Bushnell 3200 10x40 Tactical

Best buy for the $

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic