OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leatherwood scopes are they good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leatherwood scopes are they good?
    Posted: December/20/2008 at 02:05
New Leatherwood 3-12x44 Elk Country Rifle Scope with the no math reticle
is this a good scope? better then the elite 3200 and nikon buckmasters? what would you compare it to?

Thanks
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 09:46
I had a uni-dial for small bore silhouette. It looked great and was very clear and bright but stopped adjusting elevation after only a few days. Maybe just a bad one but I sent it back and bought a Burris.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 11:05
If I were you and to avoid future problems as best as possible, stick with the popular name brands; Burris, Bushnell, Nikon etc.

As the Leatherwood is and if your price point is around $250-$300, drop the magnification a bit and go with the better glass. In that price range, the 13 oz 3x9 4200 is one of the best choices, not a heavy 22 oz Leatherwood.
omahaguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 12:16
yeah im really starting to look at the nikon monarch 4-16x42 and the buckmasters 4.5x-14x40
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 12:19
this may give you some insight on that monarch, as reviewed by cheaptrick.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9089
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 14:13
I have two Leatherwood scopes and have friends who have them as well.  I also have the 3D mount.  Unless you have used them, extensively, as I have, it is difficult to have a true understanding of the capabilities.  I've killed more deer with a Leatherwood Sporter than most people shoot in a lifetime (good ole Alabama hunting season/limits...gotta love it).    My dog and cats eat venison year round (not every day, but lot of days) and we do whenever we want it.   
There were some quality problems early on.   The latest "round" of offerings appears to have solved at least most of the problems.  CS is good, better than many of the "favorite" brands.  
Jim Leatherwood was a true American Hero who was innovative, creative and honorable.  His products are a legacy.  He designed and built an optical system that provided huge advantages to warriors in a time of need.  OUR government, in its infinite wisdom, made it very difficult for him to profit from his genius.  Mr Leatherwood passed away last year, but his son runs the business now.  I can verify that the quality of character was passed down.  If you have a problem, they will make it right.  I have one of the new M-1000's and it performs very well.  I have not tried the uni-dials, but know people who own them and are satisfied with them.  I have a friend who shoots coyotes and beavers at 700+ yards with Rem700 .243WSSM regularly using the M-1200 (took him a while to learn to use the reticle, but got deadly with it). 
The no-math mildot is a very nice reticle.  One "major" company thought enough of the multi-zero function to duplicate it. Glass-wise, the newer scopes are equivalent to the Elite 4200's and the Nikon Monarchs.  I have physically, side-by-side made the comparisons.  I can shoot anything with a Leatherwood that I can shoot with either of the others, but with the added advantage of the range-finding bullet drop compensating reticle, can probably get there faster.  
I own other scopes, but I like variety in optics.  I also don't mind swapping if I want a particular set of features on a rifle that one of the scopes does not provide.  
It is difficult to "break into" the top ratings, because there are so many DIE HARD Leupy, Nikon, Conquest, etc owners.  They, and those scope companies, have been around for a long time and many of the users are closed minded.  As can be seen in some of the threads on this forum.  I dare say that if you compared Leupold's startup scopes to those available now, the startups would not do well.  They built a base over time, with some pretty severe stumbles along the way. 
I am not trying to tell you to purchase a Leatherwood scope.  Just don't discount it because it is lesser known.  I like mine, use them all the time.  They perform well.  I am not easy to please, but am above average pleased with the Leatherwood products I have come in contact with.  I would take it to war. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 15:43

The Unidial that I had was actually impressive. The glass was pretty good. The Idea of the 10 diffrent flags on the elevation turret was awesome. I was able to set a stop for each diffrent range with no question or counting clicks. If the adjustment problem I had was fixed I would probably buy another.  

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 20:19
The Nikon Buckmaster & the Bushnell 3200 are better scopes.I would compare this scope to a Simmons Aetec.I would buy the Sightron SII or the Bushnell 4200 for my hunting needs.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 20:22
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

The Nikon Buckmaster & the Bushnell 3200 are better scopes.I would compare this scope to a Simmons Aetec.I would buy the Sightron SII or the Bushnell 4200 for my hunting needs.
And upon what experience would you base that?  I have compared them side by side.  Your words have no basis in fact.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 20:43
Interesting.  I had one for a muzzleloader that was a bad experience as it arrived with a damaged lens likely from the great care given by UPS.  So Kickboxer which model would you recommend for  target and hunting use?  The price is in a range that I can afford compared to the price of the scopes I want.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 21:10
My direct experience is with the camputer models.  I know a couple of guys with unidials who really like theirs.  
I got the M-1000 because it fits all my needs for the 30-06 BAR I have it on.  It will perform to the maximum of the rifle. I conducted a complex low light test on it, side by side with 6 other scopes, using an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 100yds with 1/2in black lines spaced 1in apart.  I could resolve the lines all the way to dark.  Most scopes "gray out" several minutes before last light.  The Nikon did not perform as well (it grayed about a minute before full dark) and the 4200 was quite a bit worse.  Pentax 4X Gameseeker was in there until dark.  The older Sporter(3-9) grayed out at about 15 minutes before dark.  I had all the scopes at highest power.  BSA Sweet 22 grayed at near dark, could still take a shot with good "situational awareness".  The ATN was still good at dark, but there is something irritating about the image.  
Back to the question.  My friend's 6-24x50 M-1200 is very nice.  I like it, but don't need the higher mag.  2.5-10 is good for me.  I have not tried the 7-30.  PM me and I can put you in touch with others.  Computer is out of juice, I have to sign off now.  Will check in later.

Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:30
I have compared the new Leatherwoods side by side with others in similar price range. The leatherwoods had significantly better resolution. This i found surprising considering what others had indicated to me about Leatherwood. What the Leatherwoods lack is build quality. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 14:04
I won't argue with someone else's experience with quality,  I can only report my own.  I KNOW I'm a very lucky person, but seems odd that my luck is so good and others is so poor.

Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 16:25
Dont get me wrong - I think they are a great buy. They have the best resolution I have found in their price range. Comparitively though the build quality wasnt as nice as the others.  Just the odd small niggle such as tight spot on the parallax adjustment etc.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 20:04
Please don't get me wrong.  I am really not TRYING to be argumentative (however, it is in my nature WITHOUT trying).  Thing is, if you have a problem with one of their scopes, CONTACT CS.  I know they will make it good.  IF they don't, get back with me.  I would really like to know.  They have been outstanding to me.  Far better than CS I got from Leupold.  

brutalwarpig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brutalwarpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2018 at 08:46
I own a Leatherwood 6x24x50 but it's not the ART model. It's mounted on a Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284 Norma. So far my best group at 1000 yards is 7.73 inch (three shot group) this was one of those rare days with almost no wind and everything just went right but I still average at or close to 1 moa with it. The 6.5 Norma is a moderate recoil round and I live in Tennessee but I've never had a problem loosing my zero, fogging or clairty even at full zoom. A lot of my group size is due to the excellent out of the box Savage Accutrigger, adjustable comb and free-floating barrel in the upper end Savage. The excellent flat trajectory and ballistics of the Norma round help too. Hope this helps. Hello everyone this is my first post on this form.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2018 at 21:55

Has anyone used the Leatherwood 1-4 x24 Tactical scopes ?
If so how did you like them and how did they hold up ?
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2018 at 23:30
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

Has anyone used the Leatherwood 1-4 x24 Tactical scopes ?
If so how did you like them and how did they hold up ?

CMR4 was one of my favorites for quite some time.  They seem to hold up quite well.

ILya
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2018 at 00:37
Thank You.
It seems the 1-4×24 has a 3 " eye relief according to the specs.
The 1-8 has 4 " tho !
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic