OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need hunting binoculars help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need hunting binoculars help
    Posted: December/25/2008 at 17:25
I need some informed help in selecting a pair of reasonably priced binoculars for hunting in northern pennsylvania hardwoods. I like to still-hunt and also like tracking bucks if there is snow so I am quite often mobile and weight is a factor. I am considering Steiner 8x22 safari pro or possibly their Predator series> Has anyone have experience with any of these binoculars and give me their thoughts as to if I am on the right road or not! thank-you P.S. I am 55y/0 and the eyes are not what they used to be
littlevineyard1
mouthcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 19:46
With a good binocular harness weight isn't a factor to me, so I choose to use 8X43 Pentax DCF-SPs.  Frankly I forget I am wearing them.   This is one of the best "mid-level" binos out there.  They really shine in late afternoon dim light compared to Monarchs and other glass of sinilar $.    I don't doubt that more expensive binos are better but this was the price point where I felt I was getting the best bang for the buck.

The low light performance of "full size" binos outweigh the slight difference in overall weight for the type of hunting I do.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 20:35
Originally posted by littlevineyard1 littlevineyard1 wrote:

I am considering Steiner 8x22 safari pro or possibly their Predator series>

If you are planning on any dawn or dusk glassing, 22mm is really lousy for low light situations, even lousy for cloudy days.

I am 61 yrs. old and can get by with 32mm, but, actually prefer 40mm and larger. If available, take a look at a Nikon Action Extreme ATB 8x40mm, or, a Pentax PCF WP II 8x40mm Porro prism binocular. These are both reasonably priced and weigh around 30 ounces.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/25/2008 at 20:36
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 10:21
An 8x40 would be a far better choice for deer hunting since deer travel in low light so much.
What is reasonably priced?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 13:56
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

What is reasonably priced?

Nikon 8x40 AE ATB click here

Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II click here

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/26/2008 at 13:58
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 14:02
Sorry Stan, I didn't mean to sound generic. I meant what the O.P. was thinking.
Those two are good choices, of course. I was hoping something a bit higher for extensive glassing.

Doug
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 16:12
great answers!! i am thinking somewhere from $150.00 to $250.00 as my price range.  I appreciate a good pair of bino buddies and I think you guys are right that a little weight might be worth  the benifit of better glass
littlevineyard1
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 16:28
Actually a little weight helps steady the bino.

Edited by lucytuma - December/26/2008 at 16:28
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by littlevineyard1 littlevineyard1 wrote:

great answers!! i am thinking somewhere from $150.00 to $250.00 as my price range.  I appreciate a good pair of bino buddies and I think you guys are right that a little weight might be worth  the benifit of better glass

In which case Bird Watcher is correct. I would look at the two he mentioned.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 01:45

In which case Bird Watcher is correct. I would look at the two he mentioned.

Here's a Canon 7x42mm roof.

click here

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/27/2008 at 01:45
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 08:53
Would stepping up in price to the roof prism of the Canon surpass the optical performance of the other two porro prism binos?
I ask not just for the O.P. but for myself. I have some Swift porro prism glasses that seem to perform pretty well for the cost. My Bushnell 8x30 compact roof prisms cannot touch them and they cost nearly twice as much as the Swift.

Thanks,
Doug
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 12:42

Would stepping up in price to the roof prism of the Canon surpass the optical performance of the other two porro prism binos?

The general rule of thumb has been that you would have to buy a roof prism costing three times as much, to have 'similar' performance to an equivalent Porro prism.
Also, at this price point, a roof prism is generally offering light transmission to your eyes in the neighborhood of 80 percentile, where a Porro prism, at this price point, is giving you light transmission in the 90 percentile.

Swift Porro prism binoculars have always been known for their excellent optical performance. What magnification & what aperture is your Swift Porro prism binocular?

So, it is not likely that the Canon roof will "surpass" the performance of the other two Porro prism binoculars. You would have to do a comparison of the 7x, with its 6mm exit pupil, against the 8x with its 5mm exit pupil, to SEE how close they perfrom to one another, at dawn or dusk. It would be an interesting test.
42mm vs. 40mm represents an increase of 5%. 6mm vs. 5mm represents an increase of 20%. The size of your dialated eye pupil, at dawn and dusk, also comes into play.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/27/2008 at 14:32
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:57
My personal choice for woods range still hunting is the Vortex Fury 6.5x32.  I was a tad bit hesitant about the 6.5 magnification vs having 8x, but I no longer have that worry.  I don't see the need for more magnification untill you hit 6-800 yards or so.  They are light, bright and have a huge 445' fov.  The Swift 7x36 Eaglet is good too.  It has a bit sharper optics and somewhat less fov, but is above your price range. 

I have a Steiner 8x22 as you described.  It is OK for casual use, but it will not work well for serious use.

Steve
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 21:39
My Swift are an 8x35 and very functional for close range birding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic