OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 vs. Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 vs. Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 vs. Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32
    Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:41
Looking at these two scopes, and the cost difference, would the Nikon Monarch be just as good as the Zeiss with the power settings being as close as they are?

Edited by frankb - December/28/2008 at 20:42
Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to!
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:02
They will be close but the Zeiss will probably outperform the Monarch in lower light conditions.
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:36
That's a hard question.  Saving "x" number of dollars is viewed different by everyone.  I think the Zeiss is better, and worth the extra money...but if you disagree, I couldn't argue with you.  They are both good scopes. 
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:15
I already have the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 on one rifle and really like the optics. I had no problem putting out the money for the scope once I got it and was able to compare it with some other scopes that I already have. I am looking for another in the fixed or maybe lower variable. I am wanting something a little different for the new rifle to make it different from the 7MM-08. I was not sure if it would matter that much betweent he different scopes. I am still considering the 4X fixed power as well!

Edited by frankb - December/29/2008 at 07:01
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:19
id put the .2.5x8 conquest on it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 23:01
+1
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 12:58
+2 Kind of hard to take the cost difference at first, but I look at it as a lifetime investment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 19:22
I'd probably go with the Zeiss, but the Nikon would serve you well also!
take em!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 19:30
 had to take out the Conquest 3-9X40 today and I was looking through it for some time trying to decide which way to go. I still would like to have a fixed power 4X, but am afraid if I do that, I will want the variable instead. I still do not think I want to go with another 3-9X40 like the one on the 7MM-08. Both rifles are identical as it is. If I put the same scope on the new one, I am afraid I will grab the .308 with a handful of 7MM-08 ammo. Not a good thing to do. I don't want to start tying ribbons on the rifles to tell them apart either. I fugured this would be a great opportunity to change up with a different scope rather it be by changing powers, or just by changing brands.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:07
Funny you should mention that, but my oldest son and I have ended up with the same model of shotgun and deer rifle...... both Brownings and both semi-auto!  For shotguns we shoot the Gold and for deer, the BAR.  My shotgun is a 12 ga. and his is a 20.  I have already had a close call with ammo and the shotguns.  My buddy and I went to a preserve last spring and I took both shotguns along, my buddy likes to shoot my 12 so I brought the 20 to use when he had mine.  Anyway, we get to a point where he hands my his shotgun while he crosses a fence or something like that and I hand it back to him.  We plod along and get into a couple of chukars.  I go to reload my shotgun with the 20 gauge shells as does my buddy, except he can't get his 12s to go in.  Thank God I didn't reload and fire another shell cause I had the 12 ga.  They look identical and we hadn't noticed I mixed them up when I gave it back to him.  Not sure what would have happened if I would have pulled the trigger on a 20 ga. shell in a 12 ga. gun, but I think it would have been bad! 

For that very reason, I won't put the same scope on our BARs.  Which helps us keep them straingt.  You might very well want to consider a completely different scope for the .308!
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:13
On the other hand, you would only have to get used to one rifle, and the other would be close enough to exactly the same to feel natural. You would just have to look at the caliber on the barrel, and make sure to grab the right one. My 22-250, 243, and .300 are all the same.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 21:07
Problem with my two Browning x-Bolt rifles are that the 7MM-08 and the .308 use the same exact magazine for both calibers. My eyes are not as they used to be, and I use reading glasses to read. Two many things can go wrong. I ws even considering the Winchester rifle for the .308, but I fell in love with the new Brownings. I even traded the Browning BAR Safari in .308 just to get this new rifle. That is how well the X-Bolt rifle shoots. If all I have to do is make a simple scope change, I will do so. I only ask for advise here for the best I can get for the budget without duplicating scopes. If that was not the issue, I would have had another Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 like on the 7MM-08. That is one super fine scope. At age 57, I have had many scopes on so many different rifles, but none as great as the Conquest!! Wink
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 19:53
This may sound like a stupid idea, but use a labeler that makes labels out of clear label with black letters and just put 308 on the bottom of the floorplate for one and 7MM-08 on the other.  Then you could just look at the label in larger letters and wouldn't damage the gun.  You can also put the shellholders on the stocks and keep enough bullets for the hunt in the holder so they would stay with the gun even in the safe.  Just a couple of ideas.  If you don't have a labeler to do that with, shoot me a message and I'll make them for you for free and mail them to you.  
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 10:00
I debated with this question myself, the Nikon or Zeiss.  One of the resident experts here, Koshkin, likes the Nikon 2-8x32.  When I have my pennies saved I will be buying a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 or a samplelist Swarovski AH 3-9x36 though.  98% gonna go with a Zeiss.  Just like you I had previous experience with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.  For me, the etched Z-plex is what I cannot do without.  I really like this standard reticle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 10:06
id take the zeiss over the monarch myself, but the swaro ah would be even better, (optically)
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:34
QUIT pushing those little swaro's damn it!  There isn't going to be any left for me!
take em!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:44
Out of the two scopes you are looking at I say go with the Zeiss 2.5-8 and don't look back Frank.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

QUIT pushing those little swaro's damn it!  There isn't going to be any left for me!

better buy fast then toddBucky quick like a bunny
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic