OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikko sterling diamond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikko sterling diamond
    Posted: December/29/2008 at 17:06
Just like the intro says, does anyone have first hand knowledge of the new style 10x50x60 nikko diamond scopes?
I have read that they are a whole new breed and not to be likened to the stuff of old......
Any opinions?
Cdog.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:26
Want to buy some ocean front property in Iowa?

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/29/2008 at 20:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:35
Thanks, but I already live on an Island.................
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 07:21
While I don't have any experience with Nikko, I think the usable power range would be 10 - 20 power. From 20 and up, I don't think you would be able to focus to your expectations - especially at the higher ranges. Some manufacturers tantalize potential buyers with these high power scopes, only to disappoint when you actually see what the real usable range is. 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 08:54
For me personally, I think the 60mm bell would be the deal breaker. I don't like the 56mm, with a 60mm you might as well mount a Meade Starfinder on the dang thing!!!  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rdsii64 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdsii64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 14:02
If it is a Nikko Sterling, you would do better with iron sights. I say this from experience. That brand is nothing but a not so polished piece of k9 fecal matter.
.308 Howa 1500. 24" heavy varmint barrel
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:17
Well, I wasn't born yesterday, so if something seems to good to be true...................
BUTTTT
This scope is over 700 clams in yankee bux!!!!
There are a LOT of decent scopes in that price range........
For me, and the shooting I would do with this scope, I could care less if it had a 70mm objective...

If anyone hears of any FIRST HAND reports on this, please sing out, thanks,
Cdog.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 10:43
Call or email  www.legacysports.com/ They do not provide much information on the web site. Normally you expect strong endorsement on the distributors web site if they feel it is a good product.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 01:45
Cdog, havnt been around Optics Talk for quite a while.  I have done alot of research on the Nikko 10-50x60 "new" model.  Next step is to call SWFA to make the purchase.

What would you like to know?
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 07:59
I would like to know if a company that generally makes 10 dollar chinese scopes has actually made something worth an 800 dollar price tag????????????
I am also curious as to why everything is now side focus when the adj objective is optically superior? Is this just for convenience?
An update when you get your scope would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks for your help,
Cdog.
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 08:11
I just remembered that the story is floating around that Falcon is going to come out with a very similar offering later this year, have you any inside knowledge on this?
Thanks again,
Cdog.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 08:19
The following statement from their website on the Diamond page would have me looking elsewhere:

"Put simply the larger 30mm body tubes allow designers to make a riflescope that captures more light to be delivered to your eye. This is critical inlow light hunting."
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 10:11
The only person I know personally who had real experience with Nikko Sterling got rid of it for an NcStar, which he says is far superior.  He lives in S.Africa and night hunts big cats killing his livestock with it.  Doesn't say much for the NS, in my book.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 14:56
Cdog, allow me to stir up some muck!!!!!!  I used to be quite good at it, so here is the crap on Nikko.

The Nikko Diamond is 100% built in "JAPAN".  This applies only to the 10-50x60 " Diamond Sportsman".  As best as my research tells me, and this aint off the net, Im talking to people over the phone so when they start lieing to me I can let them have a piece or 2.!!

I plan to purchase this scope to see for myself, so for now this is what Ive been told. In 2008 they had some mechanical refinements. The lens system has been improved to create even more clarity than before. This Nikko didnt have any clarity problems before either. The side focus system was relocated to stop POI changes, it is shorter and weighs less than before(10%) and now has 54 moa of total elevation.  Jap camera grade lens systems arent too shabby.  1/8 click turrets which have been improved from the early model and the mil-dot reticle uses a dot that is close to a 1/8 moa target dot. The intersection is clear, no dot in the center like the depictions show you on the web sites.

Im a 100% USA kind of shooter, and I own 2 Niteforce 12-42x56 BR scopes that I shoot on a regular basis.  This Nikko 10-50x60 sits in the same length and weighs 37ozs. compared to the NS at 36ozs.  For the sake of argueing, 1300.00 vrs 800.00 is going to cause me to investigate further.  I am going to buy one.

Now for the real pisser, I also shoot with a Falcon T-35. It isnt made anymore and this is a "BIG" mistake.  Falcon has devoted 100% of their energy on the Menace line, and I can probably see why.  Now I am going to be challanged on all this, so lets make it good. I shoot a 600yard bench match at least once a month, all year.  This Falcon T-35 just buggs the crap out of the NS shooters to no end.  400.00 vrs 1300.00, yah, it would bug me too and it does. They all want to sit behind this scope for some minutes just cussing about the money they spent.  The Falcon 10-50x60 was next in line but Nikko beat them to it.

Now, there is supposed to be a Hi-Mag Variable Super Sniper comming soon, just to be fair, and I want to see it.  It is getting pretty interesting, aint it.??  Now you nite Force lovers know full well, just as I do that they are just a bit short on optics.  The Chinese really dont impress me at all, but when it comes from JAPAN it sure does.

Hot30
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 22:30
I wonder if there are any Nikko dealers in Canada?
I would also wonder about warrany wok.
There is an excellent vendor up here for falcon optics and perhaps I should go that route...
I would be very interested to hear about your opinions on the nikko when you get a chance to play with it.
Thanks again,
Cdog.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 23:13
Well look at that, said I was going to buy one here at SWFA,
so the price goes up to match that of the competition.  Well,
it does make things easier.
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 07:54
Can't wait to get your opinion on this rig first hand!
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 12:31
Well, the process has begun.  When I get this thing in my hands I will "pick" it apart. Ive always been "to the point" in my life, so good or bad I will let you know if this scope is worth the $850.00 or not.  If I can resolve bullet holes @50x and at 600 yards without any "major" problems, I will let you know.  Being "pointed" doesnt mean "anal"  so expect an honest review.
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 14:00
Sounds great, I also agree with the foolishness of brand loyalty.
If the product is fine, great, if it is a turd, fine too, regardless of who makes it.
I'll be impatiently awaiting your review, thanks again,
Cdog.
cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 22:15
Any updates?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic