OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 8x42/43 for Hunting and Good Low Light Performance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x42/43 for Hunting and Good Low Light Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunAround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x42/43 for Hunting and Good Low Light Performance
    Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:18
I need a new pair of binocs and have decided on 8x42 or 8x43 as these will be for hunting but also for all around use.  The hunting side will see a lot of use from just before dusk to 30 minutes later.

My max budget is in the $800 range, but I'd rather be closer to $500 unless the extra $300 is well worth it.  I was almost settled on the Vortex Viper (with Meopta the higher end choice), but then started reading some reviews about the Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED and the Hawke Frontier ED.  Of these two, it seems the Promaster would be the one due to the rain coating on the lens.

Has anyone compared the Promaster (or Hawke) with the Viper or Meopta?  How much difference would there be between all of the ones I have mentioned?

Should I be considering others in this price range too?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:40
I think the viper's are great value in the $500.00 range, no experience with promaster or hawke bins,  I know the vortex razor and the meopta are worth the $800.00, infact I think they offer the best glass per dollar spent.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:46
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I know the vortex razor and the meopta are worth the $800.00, infact I think they offer the best glass per dollar spent.
I would agree with this and would also throw in the Leupold Golden Ring HD into the mix. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 13:01
Gunaround,

I have compared my Promaster to the Razor and the Meopta.  In my opinion the Promaster has the best image of the three.  There is not much difference, but it is there at close inspection.    The Promaster does not have the yellowish color bias of the Meopta and is clearly brighter than the Razor.  The Promaster, not either the Meopta or the Razor is the top binocular for the dollar.  Not even a close contest.

Nobody will believe this since it is a $500 Chinese binocular.  The bald fact is that the Chinese Optics industry is making rapid advances in optical quality.  This is evidenced by the Promaster ELX ED and the Hawke Frontier ED.  These glasses are so good for $500, sooooooo cloooooose to the alphas, that you have to see it for yourself. 

Not trying to sell chinese optics, I truly wish "Made in the USA" was all ovcer the place like it used to be.  Just stating the obvious.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 19:35
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Gunaround,

I have compared my Promaster to the Razor and the Meopta.  In my opinion the Promaster has the best image of the three.  There is not much difference, but it is there at close inspection.    The Promaster does not have the yellowish color bias of the Meopta and is clearly brighter than the Razor.  The Promaster, not either the Meopta or the Razor is the top binocular for the dollar.  Not even a close contest.

Nobody will believe this since it is a $500 Chinese binocular.  The bald fact is that the Chinese Optics industry is making rapid advances in optical quality.  This is evidenced by the Promaster ELX ED and the Hawke Frontier ED.  These glasses are so good for $500, sooooooo cloooooose to the alphas, that you have to see it for yourself. 

Not trying to sell chinese optics, I truly wish "Made in the USA" was all ovcer the place like it used to be.  Just stating the obvious.

unfortunately, almost none of the consumer binoculars are made in USA any more. They are either imported oversea as a whole or assembled here with imported parts.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 02:24
I have a pair of Hawke 8x43 Fontier ED binoculars.  I have compared them to the Viper and Hawke is better.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 09:11
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a pair of Hawke 8x43 Fontier ED binoculars.  I have compared them to the Viper and Hawke is better.

ILya

is the hawke better than the razor though???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:37
The Promaster is (in my opinion) a bit better than the Razor.  Not a lot, but there is not a lot of difference in binoculars at that level.  I think the Promaster is a bit brighter in image and thee color saturation is also a little better.  It is also $200 less money.  The Razor has more room between the hinges for a three finger grip.  The Promaster/Hawke represents a better value for the dollar.  Again, you sort of have to see it for yourself, just how good the Promaster/Hawke are compared to the alpha glass considering what they cost.  Also they don't have the track record of service and warranty that Vortex does either.  So it gets down to what is worth what to you.  I have a hard time thinking you would dislike either the Razor or the Promaster.  I also think my Promaster is better than my Viper.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

GunAround View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunAround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 11:49
Thanks for the great input so far.

How about comparing the Promaster to the Meopta.  Has anyone done a direct comparison?

I'm really starting to lean toward the Promaster, but it's hard not being able to find them locally and having to go simply off of the little information I can locate on them.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 12:41
Yes, I have compared the Promaster and Meopta.  I posted that someplace, here too I think.  They are really close.  The Meostar has (to me) a decided yellow color tint, and the Promaster has an appearance of being brighter (that's sort of subjective and hard to quantify, but it is there).  The image otherwise is very close.  The chief difference is the ergonomics.  The Meopta is sort of nose heavy to me and I prefer to have a little more room at the end of the objective.  Also, the price difference and optical quality ratio  remains. 
Steve

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 14:21
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

is the hawke better than the razor though???

In some ways, yes and in some ways no.  I will have a more detailed review on that in a little bit.  I will stop by Hawke booth at the SHOT Show and talk to them, before I publish the review.
I like Hawke Frontier ED binocular, but I have not fully joined the Hawke/Promaster bandwagon yet. 

ILya
GunAround View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunAround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:19
How does the Zeiss Conquest (8x40) stack up?  I notice they are in the same general price range as well.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 09:20
There is some are pretty nice binos in $600-$900 range.  Which one is the best?, thats very difficult to call.  My suggestion would be: go to a big box sporting goods store and look and touch as many as you can.  Some of them may suprise you (good or bad).  Once you've found one, give our friends at SWFA a call. I originally wanted to buy a vortex viper, but ended up with a meopta, its just looked and felt best to me.  Another option would be to find two or three that really catch your attention and then look on the Samplelist.com for a good used bino.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
v-train View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v-train Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 12:54

Post removed for review by the Moderating Team

Edited by koshkin - February/04/2009 at 14:21
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 13:20
v-train, there is a "For Sale" forum.  If you have something to sell, do it there. 

If you do not have enough posts, either hold off on selling stuff until you do, or contact one of of the moderators for help.

THE RULE WAS PUT IN PLACE FOR A REASON.  PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO WORK AROUND IT BY POSTING STUFF FOR SALE IN THE WRONG FORUM.

ILya
v-train View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v-train Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 14:16
sorry, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i am not a very frequent poster.
i never even noticed the rules, that i violated. i will try and contact the moderator once they come in. there is no point in doing so until they do.  if he won't let me sell them that is fine. i will put them on ebay. i just thought i would give someone a deal.
i didn't mean to tick anybody off. i have always enjoyed this site, and the feedback from those on it.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 14:24
V-train, I will consult with the other moderators on this.

ILya
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:50
Pentax DCF SP in 43mm. good luck and God Bless
abailey54
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:40

Besides weight, is there any other reason not to include Leupold Goldring HD 8x42 for low light hunting? I don't see the weight as a big minus (probably because I carry Bruntons now).

haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 10:28

Good buddy of mine has the pentax dcf's.  Good image through them, built well.  I looked through gold ring hds when I was shopping and it deffinately was'nt one of the best in my opinion..  But thats my opinion, color fringing etc.  From what I have read about the leo's they really arent rated all that high.  Prob is its all preferance to you.  Someone earlier said find a store and try them all out.  I completely agree with that.  An hour or two drive will be well worth it for you.  You'll know what your ordering and be comfortable with a pretty expensive purchase.  Everyones eyes are a little different.  Some go farther past infinity for nearsightedness than others, they are all a little different and you won't know till you try them.Thunbs Up

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic