OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 8x42/43 for Hunting and Good Low Light Performance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x42/43 for Hunting and Good Low Light Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 12:52
Originally posted by haminator haminator wrote:

I looked through gold ring hds when I was shopping and it deffinately was'nt one of the best in my opinion ...color fringing etc.  From what I have read about the leo's they really arent rated all that high. 
Interesting that you would make such an observation as the Leupold Golden Rings are generally well regarded for NOT exhibiting much color fringing.  My non-HD GRs even have no more (and sometimes even less) chromatic abberation than some binoculars that do have ED glass.  I can't imagine the HD version could possibly have taken a backward step in this direction.

I don't know what you have read but, most reviews of the GR put them on par with Alpha glass costing much more.  Better View Desired offers one of the more prominent reviews.

There certainly is technically better glass out there, most of which is much more expensive than the GRs.  There also is the very real possibility that you may not personally like them, but to state generally that they are not "highly rated" is simply not an accurate assessment.

Edited by lucznik - March/03/2009 at 12:53
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:37
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:47
great link...although I wish they went further down the list in the 8x32 midsize.  I would like to see how the $400-$600 binos rated out.....like the Pentax 8x32 DCF SP, Kowa 8x32, Gold Ring HD 8x32, Steiner 8x32 Merlins, or Minox BL 8x32 BR
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:52
Yeah me too.  Keep in mind it's all personal opinion.  But I don't know about you but I have never had the 20 best pairs of binos in the world out on a table in front of me to play with.  Some reveiws I don't know if agree with but they are what they are.  OPINION...
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:53
Everyones eyes see and focus differently as well.  Thats a pretty big factor believe it or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic