OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$200 Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 16:29
Here are the pictures of LOC's rings:

These look like Millett rings of the "standard" type.

Not my favourite, since I have switched all of my guns to either weaver/picatinny setup or to grooved rings (on my Tikka).

ILya

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 16:31
They do look alot like the Millett rings.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 16:45

So before I mount my SII should I change out these bases and rings? Are these rings and bases outdated or old technology? Looking for some pros and cons. Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn and make the correct decision in todays "many choice" markets.

Thanks in Advance

Tony

loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 16:47
Geeze at least the camera is good....my gun looks like crap and not clean or taken care of......damn good lens's in the camera with high pixels...that will teach me to by good things...lol
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 16:53
I suppose if properly mounted most rings work fine.  I have not had very good luck with this system, so I switched away from it.  just a preference.

Nowadays, I tend to use rings made by Warne for weaver type bases on most rifles.

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 17:57
I go along with Ilya on this one I have picatinny rails on almost all my rifles and two of the pistols, it makes it very easy to switch scopes around.

Duce  Smile
Duce
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:12

Guys,

If you look closely at top picture of the rear base(first picture) the base only touches in the middle where the mounting screw are. The sides do not touch the receiver/action of the gun. Is this normal? Would seem to me that the shape of the base should fit exactly the shape of the reciever? Please advise.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:20
I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Generally, the shape of the base should match the shape of the receiver. In practice it never quite mates perfectly, which is why people often bed the bases to the receiver.

ILya
mlnchunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlnchunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:23

I have the pentax gameseeker and the ffII and the game seeker is by far the best scope alot clearer and the precison plex is much better on the gameseeker, and you can use the precision plex to judge yardage on the gameseeker

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:44
If the bases aren't fitting excatly then there is a slight problem. This can be fixed as Ilya has suggested, by doing a bedding job on the base. You will then also need to have the rings lapped as well. There is also the possibility that the base wasn't properly machined and is defective. Look at the price difference between the work and the cost of new.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 11:01
The Sightron S2 is the best choice at $200.00,lifetime replacement warranty.If you have extra cash to spend buy the S2 Big Sky would rate it at as the best scope under $500.00.
birddogbud View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddogbud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 16:37
I live in NJ., Ihave several scopes, but I bought a Barska 3x12x56 euro pro IR. I put on my 30-06 to go Texas hog hunting. there where 4 of us 2 Swarovskis 1 Nikon and my 100.00 scope. I am the only one that did not have to change a thing. I put it on my muzzle loader my last kill of many with, it was a 120lb. doe walking dead away from at 40 yards I put it the center of the shoulder blades in very thick cover, that's exactly where it hit. I have faith in this scope. 114.00 to your door. check it out.  Bud
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 16:41
                                                    Shocked

Edited by rifle looney - January/08/2009 at 16:44
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 19:53
Shocked
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Shocked
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 22:12
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 07:43
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 08:02
 Barska RULES!?!?!?!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 08:55

Shocked
  ( Well, since we are off topic with the eyeballs, I might want to make an off-topic remark......I noticed that your receiver was stamped 1900......is that a Mauser-built 1896??  Mauser only built a few of them and ONLY in 1900!!  Ha!  I would KEEP that rifle!! Ha!  Yeah, get an after market trigger..........and a 3200 Bushnell is a good scope, by the way....) 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 21:41
Hey Ed !    I have one that is a 1919 is it a keeper or less of .....thank you!
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 16:41
Ed, I do not know much about this rifle. It is sporterized by kimber and is a .308. It shoot pretty good. It is my all around rifle and has a RAM stock on it. I have decided on a SII Sightron Scope that I have just recieved in the mail Now i' dont know if I should mount this up as is or change the based and rings. The rifle in the past had a bushnell banner and was fine. But the more and more you read on the net the more and more you learn and now i'm questioning the rings and bases and worried about lapping rings, alignment of rings etc....when in the past all was fine just wanted to update scope.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic