OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikko Stirling Nighteater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Rottman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikko Stirling Nighteater
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:01
Hi everyone.  I am looking for some feedback on a Nikko Stirling Nighteater scope.  I just bought a Tikka T3 Stainless .30-06 and have ordered a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42 scope for it but it has not come in yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the scope?  I paid $150. for it and am looking forward to getting it and seeing if I made a good decision.

Thanks for your comments.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 17:14
Hi Don, it looks like your post got lost or bypassed they almost always get an answer of some sort .any way your scope is going to be OK it is by no means great but it will serve the purpose I have looked through them and I say if you have it use it .since you have not mounted it yet maybe think about upgrading at this point? the team Primos is a bargain @ $199.00 from this sites sponsor @ swfa ......hope this helps .

Edited by rifle looney - January/01/2009 at 17:15
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 17:40

I agree with James, the Primos would definately be a step up and in the right direction.  I hate to see someone spend $150.00 of their hard earned cash and not be happy.  With the Primos you can be sure your getting a very nice scope at a fantastic price.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 18:09
I have that exact scope and I have had no complaints so far but from things I have read on this site people are saying that you can get a lot better scope for a little more money (Nikon Primos). 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 18:10
+1

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 18:25
I had a Nikko Nighteater on my .22LR.

Was good for a while then the gun just went to crap.  I am not sure if it was the rifle or the scope but i suspect it was the scope.

The best of the Nikko's were the old Diamond models made in Japan.  They still have a hand full left here in Australia that stores are selling to get rid of old stock but once they are gone they are gone.
Always learning
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 18:31
They get a bit of time on air gun blogs and forums. Most remarks seem to be positive.
shooter64 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 23:39
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Hi Don, it looks like your post got lost or bypassed they almost always get an answer of some sort .any way your scope is going to be OK it is by no means great but it will serve the purpose I have looked through them and I say if you have it use it .since you have not mounted it yet maybe think about upgrading at this point? the team Primos is a bargain @ $199.00 from this sites sponsor @ swfa ......hope this helps .
That same scope sits on to of my gun. I can't wait to change it for something of reasonable quality. The Nikko Sterling is junk. When you get in you hands and try to move the knobs you will know what I am saying. you can feel or hear the clicks. So when you have to move  strike of the round 9 clicks. you are not going to be able to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you  make nine clicks. If you have gloves on its even worse. I am not simply bashing a inexpensive brand. I am simply relaying my experience with this scope.

ITS PURE  JUNK.
rdsii64 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdsii64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 16:59
The Nikko Sterling nightcrapper is a not so polished you-know-what!!
.308 Howa 1500. 24" heavy varmint barrel
onebadmuley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebadmuley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 02:17
hold on a minute! there is some nikko stirling trashing goin on here. i have a nikko 6-24x44 mounted on my savage .270. on 24 power it is not as clear as a $1200.oo leupold but it has served me very well. i've used it in the lower foothills of so.cal to the 10,000 ft. levels of the sierras and in the rain and snowing conditoins of both. this scope has helped me score 4 muledeer and 1 black bear in the last 3 seasons. i approve of this scope. if this is what you can afford by all means mount the scope and have at it. nikko stirling has a reticle called the lrx. i will be mounting on my new remington 7mag for its long range capabilities. average cost 250.00 and it will get the job done.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 02:54
E-bay it and get the Team Primos or a Vortex Diamondback..

Edited by biggreen747 - February/06/2010 at 03:00
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Thom1507 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thom1507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 05:16
You can only shoot what you can see , leupold vxi does the trick but if you hav the money get a vxiii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic