OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica Duovid vs. Leica Ultravid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Somebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica Duovid vs. Leica Ultravid
    Posted: January/24/2005 at 18:09

I see the Leica Duovids have “HDC multilayer coating” and the Leica Ultravids have “HLC”.  How does HDC compare to HLC?

Thanks

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 00:07

I assume you mean HLS (High Lux System) for the Ultravids.  The way I understand it is the Trinovids and Duovids glass have the HDC (Highly Durable Coating) coatings which are not only very sharp and bright but are also very scratch resistant.  I have a pair of Trinovid BNs and I would say that I agree with that statement.  The HLS on the Ultravids refers to the glass coatings but more to the new Dielectric prism coating that was added to increase light transmission and eliminate chromatic abberation.  So in short the Ultravids should be slightly brighter and maybe sharper than the Duovids or Trinovids.

I have been considering trading in my Trinovid BNs for the new Ultravids or Zeiss FLs and I took my Trinovids to the store and compared them to the Ultravids for about 30 minutes.  It was in the afternoon and I still had good light so I wasn't able to compare brightness.  I will say that the Ultravids were slightly better optically than my Trinovids although the difference was very small and it was hard to put my finger on what was exactly was optically better.  I need to spend a little more time with them.  I did however fall in love with the Ultravids ergonomics and light weight.  Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic