OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon's Warranty Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon's Warranty Experience
    Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:33
Hey y'all.  I've heard some pretty mixed reviews regarding Nikon's Warranty coverage, and I just thought that I would share my own.  I was actually extremely impressed with their service, especially in this busy holiday season.

I had a Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40AO - it was truly an excellent scope.  I never had a problem with it in terms of accurate adjustment, clarity, or proper functioning.  It always held its zero.  However, the scope had a small burr on the crosshair that always pestered me.  Eventually, I noticed a slight bit of debris in the ocular bell when I shined in it with my flashlight; this bugged me a little too.

I contacted Nikon's customer service to ask them what should be done.  They told me to send in the scope with my information and an explanation regarding what was wrong with the scope and they'd take care of the rest.  Within several days, the scope was entered into their online system so that I could monitor its progress.  They have service codes (with explanations) so that you can get an idea of what will be done with the scope.  After several days "in the shop," the scope was shipped back to me (free of charge). 

They shipped me a brand new replacement (the exact same model), free of charge, and I couldn't be happier.  This scope is awesome! 

Nikon has gained a lifelong customer and my confidence.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:35
Thanks for sharing that with the forum.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:39
It's good to know they take care of you.   I wonder if the fact they exchanged your scope contributes to why there are so many refurbs available.  You seldom hear of other companies like Leupold doing exchanges instead of repairs. 
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:43
I have had two Leupolds repaired and they charged me for one of them?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:51
What repair did they charge you for?
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:02
I had to return a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40. The coating on the lens was becoming smeared. All I was doing was wiping lightly with the lens cloth, and you could notice the coating being smeared off. After calling Nikon and telling them of the problem, they told me to box it up, add a letter of the trouble and send it off to them. It could not have been a full three weeks before getting a brand new scope back. No explaination, just a brand new scope and the paper saying "replaced". It was the newer model Buckmaster as well. The one I sent in was the older model. I could not have been more pleased when the new scope showed up on my door. What a difference between the two as far as clarity!
Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:21
" Hey, Amigo, ju haf just give to me an idea........all's ju need to do ees wipe on the lens with thee cloth and make a beeg mess of it and then send it back to them gringos when ju wants to get a new scope!! "

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:29
I just thought you all might want to hear about it.  I haven't been on this forum for years but y'all helped my decide on the Monarch UCC.  I also own a Buckmaster 3-9x40 and years ago owned a 4.5-14x40AO which was mounted on several different guns and took thousands of shots.  I also own Nikon Action 10x50 binos which are very good as well.  I feel really good that they took care of me like that.
Byrd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:22
My experience was as Guitarman, sent a Nikon Monarch 3.3-10 X44. The rubber cushon had lost off the eyepiece.  Recieved a new Monarch 2.5-10 X 42. My old scope was made in Japan, replacement made in the Philippines. I guess that's OK if it is a good scope. Turnaround time 3 weeks. No charges.
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:47
I sent a 3-9x42 Nikon Monarch UCC back to Nikon to repair a splintering reticle.  Within two weeks they had sent me a brand new 2.5-10x42 Monarch.  Their online communication was great all along the way.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

tube came apart at the turret housing..or broke what ever ...but they did upgrade the A/O
so they said .that was free ?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:10
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

tube came apart at the turret housing..or broke what ever ...but they did upgrade the A/O
so they said .that was free ?

Wow, that doesn't seem like something I'd expect to pay for. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:12
 thats what I was thinking yet I still bought an other leupold after that.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:37
has Nikon changed its ways?? good cs now ...that'd be good news
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 23:12
After reading a lot of the Nikon CS post, It seems that if it is near the start or end of the model year they are slow but mid production they are quick to replace. Rare that they repair. This is only from observing 2 1/2 years of post.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
matrobw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 08:12
Sent in a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB Binoculars on Dec 30th.  They were fogging up and one of the lenses had shifted.  Bought the pair in 1999.  They are replacing them with a new pair for no charge according to their cs website.  Very impressed!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 09:02
maybe there is hope, i remember hearing some good reports on nikons cs dept early last year as well, and now it sounds like its continued that path, which is good news.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 11:34
Nikon has such a large inventory its cheaper to replace with a new scope.The refurbs are sold at lower prices.The Nikon Japan scopes are better made in my opinion.Customer service is better now since they started giving a new scope in return.  
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 18:18
My Monarch is actually made in the Phillippines and I don't see any room for improvement.  I have held the 4-12x40AO UCC side by side with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 and thought the Nikon was better in every respect.  Couldn't tell much of a difference in clarity, but I just thought the Nikon felt better in my hands etc.  Know what I mean?  I'm glad they sent me a UCC instead of a new model because it's a PERFECT match for my Remmy 22-250.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 18:32
Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

It's good to be a Nikon "leg humper" these days.....Smoking 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic