OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6mm Remington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6mm Remington
    Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:11
Im a new guy here, this is my first post.

Ive been considering acquiring a new rifle, and a new caliber. My "gun knowledge" is pretty much limited to what I myself have owned and used.

Im looking at something for varmints, mainly coyotes. I currently shoot a .22-250 with excellent results (its my "go to" coyote gun). Ive also shot a .308, and may go back to it, but I want to do some research before I go that route again. But, ive been thinking of getting something with just a tad more range capabilities while being at least somewhat "fur friendly".

Ive been reading up on the .244/6mm Remington. Sounds like it would make a dynamite "mid-range" coyote gun. The ballistic charts ive perused make it look like it shoots circles around the .243. But, thats just a chart.

A few questions:

Anybody own one? Opinions?

Im a huge fan of the remington 700 action, but as far as I can tell remington doesnt chamber this caliber anymore. When did they stop? How hard are rifles chambered to this to find?

How hard is brass to find?

How "reloader friendly" is this caliber? (Im no whiz kid at the reloading bench).

What is barrel life like? (Considering most rifles I find will most likely be older).

Ive heard early models had slower twists than later models? Is this true? Something about Remington initially advertising this for a varmint rifle and lighter bullets than coming out with faster twists to stabilize larger bullets later on?

Im very confident in the .22-250 out to 400 yards in most conditions, and out to 500 in IDEAL conditions. What im looking for really is something that will work well in that 400-600 yard range on coyotes. Reduced wind drift is high on my priorities. Which also has me looking at the .260 remington.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:36
why not go for something like a 25-06?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:40
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I was going to ask the same. Just don't use 100 gr. Speer hollowpoints. That is messy.Big Smile

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:41
Unless you reload .........the 6mm is hard to find ammo for, and the 243 aint that far behind in performance. look at the 25o6, 257 bob,260.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:42
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I was going to ask the same. Just don't use 100 gr. Speer hollowpoints. That is messy.Big Smile

OH! thanks for the hollow points Trigger!.....lol
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:44
Roll on Floor Laughing     Figured that was coming. Just don't use them on small targets, it will be fine. Or shoot them on your prairie dog hunt. It's quite fun, and ok to be messy then.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:47
Really tuff to find, but I wouldn't mind one myself.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:49
i liked the performance my dad's .243 gave on coyotes, i shot a heavy bullet out of it and i didnt tear up coyotes that bad, my 22-250 certainly was worse for that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:57
The 6mm is still available from Remington.
It is easy to reload for and not hard on barrels.
The new 700's come with a 1/10" twist that should be fine with 100 grain bullets. These bullets work great on deer as I have seen on a few occasions. A friend had one and took all of his "Banana Belt" bucks in the U.P.of Michigan with his.
The .260 is also an excellent deer caliber. I have one in a Remington M7, but I think it is a bit heavy for doggies. It put a whitetail buck down hard for me this year.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:01
The 243 will throw a 55gr nosler balistic tip out the muzzle at 4000fps. that is good to go!
of coarse you have to load that on your own.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:03
Great caliber that fell the wayside as it was competing with the 243. My first target rifle was a 40X in 6mm and it was very accurate and simple to reload. Barrel life would be the same as a 243. If it were me, I would opt for the 243. Your rifle, ammo and brass options open up pretty wide.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:03
shoot dem little doggiiiiiieeeeees ......RAW HIDE!
Coyote View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:07
I had a .25-06, and it just seemed no matter what bullet I tried, it blew coyotes to holy h*ll. Now, the 250 will put a big hole in them with 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips, but its more of a "every now and than" and not the norm.

My buddy has a .243 that does a fair amount of damage, and back when I still had my .308 well, lets just say most of my kills looked like they were made with something MUCH smaller.

Well, how does the .260 stack up?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:10
are you talking 250 savage?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:11
Not sure why you would want to go with a 260 for yotes and varmits. Are you going for double duty, such as deer and yotes?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:13
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

22-250

the 25-06 will do it if you shoot a stout bullet and slow it way down thats the key
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:16
after re,reading your post I would choose the 243...or the 2506 these can be loaded up and down and factory ammo is plentiful....praire dogs, yotes ,deer, pigs.

Edited by rifle looney - January/05/2009 at 22:02
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

frequently you will hear varminters refer to the 22-250 as the "250"
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:23
I shoot a 250 savage improved and a 22-250 love them both!

Edited by rifle looney - January/05/2009 at 20:57
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:26
i like my 22-250 cause it shoots nice, but i will admit it does do a number on coyotes with those 55gr bullets hauling ass like they do, the .243 with a 100gr bullet seemed to do less damage even if you had a poor angle and hit a shoulder, the 250 of course would really make a hole in that instance, and with the .243 you get a little more stability in the wind
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic