OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

270 Ackley question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:01
MOst factory rounds are not maximum.... I have shot at least 500 factory rnds in an AI chamber ....maybe lost 3or 4.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:08
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

what type of mauser action ....IE.98......95....96.....FN....?

It is a FN, I am told.  What does that mean?
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:10
When I get the Bushnell 4200 on it, I'll give a range report from sighting it in.  Wish I had a chrono.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:11
Any more info on : What base and rings guys?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:30
 FN ...is frabrique..national...don't know that the spelling is correct? it is basically a civilian.not military action...don't know that you saw my earlier post if you are not going to reload  don'.t keep the gun...trade it or sell it. you will be happier with a standard one.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:39
Dang, I came late to this thread!!

Get Your Popcorn Ready

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 17:40
Mike please input man input!
tinytim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinytim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 21:53
Pyro I agree 100% with you on how to fireform a rimless case by an interference fit.  In my rimless wildcats like the 35 & 400 whelen I used a pistol bullet seated backwards to strike the lands, thus ensuring the case cannot move forward and stretch. Had I that 270, I would use the old neck up, false shoulder method. I.E.expand a new case neck up to 7mm and then neck it back to .277 until it will JUST chamber. Load it with a standard 270 load and "bang" formed case.
On the 300 H&H, may I respectfully disagree? The H&H headspaces on the belt not the shoulder. That said, it's a helluva a reforming to go from the tapered H&H to the WB shape.
The FN commercial rifles were fine, fine rifles. Too bad it was rechambered or rebarreled.
Classic class!

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:38
Thanks ....exactly! ....thats what I do as well.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:41

I can't speak for the .270 AI but my brother shoots a .257 Roberts AI and what he does is shoot factory ammo through it, takes the brass that's fireform'ed to his chamber, resizes the neck, and ends up with customs rounds for his rifle. He's told me his experience at the range with the factory ammo was fine for hunting; I sure it's the same story for the .270 AI.

I don't reload (I keep saying someday) so I apologize if my terminology is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:42

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I can't speak for the .270 AI but my brother shoots a .257 Roberts AI and what he does is shoot factory ammo through it, takes the brass that's fireform'ed to his chamber, resizes the neck, and ends up with customs rounds for his rifle. He's told me his experience at the range with the factory ammo was fine for hunting; I sure it's the same story for the .270 AI.

I don't reload (I keep saying someday) so I apologize if my terminology is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ....exactly! ....thats what I do as well.

James, man your fast!!! I deleted the post rather than edit did repost and you slipped one in!!! Big Grin

Edited by mike650 - January/09/2009 at 20:48
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:44
 Sorry too say thats what my wife says too!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:48

Sorry too say thats what my wife says too!

I knew you were gonna say that. Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic