OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1911
    Posted: January/07/2009 at 18:59
I have a new springfield SS 1911-A1 .45,The problem im having is it shoots low.The sights are fixed,i've use different brands of ammo but got the same results.
So is there anything i can do apart from getting the top machined for adjustable sights?,or can i get adjustable sights to fit without machining.

Edited by Average Joe - January/07/2009 at 19:04
I'm classic shag nasty type.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 19:36
Are you 100% sure you don't have a mash with the trigger?  That is more common than you think a person has what they call a perfect mash and they mash exactly the same way every time they pull the trigger and it makes it appear that the gun shoots low.  I fought that for a while when I first really got into shooting handguns.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:17
How low & how far? Does it do that when your pinkie finger is off the grip? An adjustable sight is the last thing that gun needs.  The sad truth is 99% of the time it is you.  If the gun is a just a little off then, it may be the gun.  If it is the sights then it is not the rear sight.  Before you get the slide machined for rear sights, get the slide fitted to the frame and the barrel bushing fitted. 

I can tell you that your trigger and grip combo are a bit odd.  Those grips and that main spring housing may not help either, thought the main spring housing is not that big of a deal.

The gun should hit exactly where you point it.  Where is you natural point of aim with the gun? If you natural point of aim is a bit low then it will hit low.  If the natural point of aim is low then I would try getting rid of the grips and maybe an arched mainspring houseing.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cedric View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 01:08

You hold a 1911 a little different than other pistols.  You ride that thumb safety with your thumb.  Its a little awkward at first but you get control after awhile.

Make sure you're not flinching.  With the chamber double checked and surely unloaded, dry fire.  Watch the front sight and you'd probably see it move when you pull the trigger.  Practice dry firing until the flinch is mostly gone.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 07:57
get rid of the finger grips-- what load are you using? high velocity rounds in fixed sites hand guns shoot impact lower as they get to the target faster -- before the muzzle rises as in hard ball.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 08:10
Aj,
I agree the sights shouldn't be off.I would let someone else (or 3 people)  shoot a few rounds thru it and see where they are hitting.It might just be a small glitch in your form. Its like getting the feel of a new pair of shoes.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 18:25
AJ, my Springfield 1911 a1 did the same thing- about 8 inches low at 20 yds. I simply took a flat file to the top of the front sight and took a little off at a time until it put'em where I wanted. I then took a little cold blue to touch up the bare metal on the top of the sight.

Derek
Coyote View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 21:30
Of the two I have, one shot dead on, the other was low. I simply filed on the front sight till it put em where I wanted em.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 08:04
Thanks for your replys and ideas,all noted.
I will get back to you after i get a chance to down the range.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 13:42
Well i adjusted my form and took on board your comments about my 1911 and im shooting better, still low but far improved.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic