OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed power,,,Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 18:01
Well, yeah. In fact I use iron sights on my .416 Rigby.

The problem is, of course, that many of today's shooters have never even shot a rifle with iron sights, much less become confident with one. And they have all sorts of misconceptions about the use of iron sights, a by-product of never having used them--which in turn become excuses about why "I can't do that."

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 19:29
Yea most of them have never seen much less shot a double rifle with express sights. 

We are the last of a dieing breed, I'm afraid.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 20:40
Oh God!!!  I use film cameras, too.  Double Jeopardy!!    Shocked      I'm a goner!!! 

Roll on Floor Laughing
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 22:51

You dinosaur!

auto_1187 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auto_1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 18:24
How about a Trijicon RMR mounted on an ACOG. This brings the best of both worlds, I think. If it's good enough for the U.S military, it should be good enough for any dangerous game.
Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 09:21
 Wouldn't mind tryin one!!
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 19:03
Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win. Mag. I put a 4x 33mm Leupold FX I on it for all the reasons cited -- but mostly because fixed reticle seems more resistant to problems from recoil. Less moving parts means less stuff to shake loose when the gun jolts.

-- That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 22:40
The relatively pleasant recoil of the .458WinMag is no real test of a fixed power scope's resistance to heavy shock. It should be sufficient to prove the durability of some of the low power variables, though.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 10:08
I would tend to agree. A .458 Lott is more of a test--or any of the Weatherbys from .378 up.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 14:14

Peeker
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 20:14
I had never done any research on the .378 Weatherby, but that looks like a REALLY neat chambering.  The Lott is my first "big bore", but I have real hankering for more.  I've tried to force myself to hunt with a different rifle since I got it, just can't leave home without it.  The .378 Weatherby sounds like a candidate.  Thank you for the heads up.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 19:24
Scopehunter, 
 You ARE in fact, out of line.  Posting the scope is not a problem, but this site is hosted by SWFA.  Posting the name of another supplier is not acceptable.  Please read the rules and I would suggest removing your post displaying another provider.

Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 11:08

The Lott is a pretty neat cartridge, not only very powerful but flexible.

There are now even a couple of "extended" versions of the Lott. When I hunted in Africa last year one of the PH's had a .458 Express, which some people are using over there. It is the Lott but with a 3-inch case.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 16:08

With his Ruger No,1 chambered in .458 Express, Dave Campbell from Chickaloon St. in Eagle River, Alaska wrote:

" ...of all the different large bore rifles I own, I have never felt the trust and satisfaction that I do with my .458 Express. I've got a rifle and cartridge combination that I would walk straight up to the gates of hell with, shout at the devil and I know that I would come back home..."

That's even better than the line that convinced me to buy the Lott "guaranteed to knock down anything that walks on the planet".  

I gotta get me one of those...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 16:29
"The Ruger No.1 lever action is not only the finest in the industry but must be one of the most reliable rifles in history. Bought in .458 Lott it can be reamed into the .458 Express caliber without any problems."

BigDaddy, we may have to rethink reloading.  Are you "game" for a wildcat????  I'm liking everything I see about this.
Mr. Barsness, thank you for the information.  

scopehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scopehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 17:21
Sorry about being out of line, I see that my picture has already been removed so i think all is okay now. Sorry for breaking any rules.
www.TheRifleScopeShop.com
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 17:24
 If Big Squeeze were to chamber one of his Squeezer Specials for it and shorten the barrell any further, the bullet would protrude from the muzzle when a round was chambered!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 17:35
For what, exactly, are you using this .458?

At some point, I really hope to hunt Cape Buffalo, and for that, i'll want something with some serious impact force.

On this continent (and I understand you can hunt Cape Buffalo in Florida, but nevertheless), it seems like overkill - pardon the pun.  I kill deer and hogs with a 300WM because I don't want them running away; but a 458?

Just curious.

And the IOR 4X on my 45/70 is perfect, very clear, very bright, reminds me of the limited range, site picture never changes, and it handles the recoil so far without problems.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 18:14
Originally posted by scopehunter scopehunter wrote:

Sorry about being out of line, I see that my picture has already been removed so i think all is okay now. Sorry for breaking any rules.
Welcome to the OT, scopehunter.  We all have infractions, now and then.  Welcome and sin no more  (of course, you MIGHT be in the wrong place for that...).
Vr
Dan

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 18:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

For what, exactly, are you using this .458?

At some point, I really hope to hunt Cape Buffalo, and for that, i'll want something with some serious impact force.

On this continent (and I understand you can hunt Cape Buffalo in Florida, but nevertheless), it seems like overkill - pardon the pun.  I kill deer and hogs with a 300WM because I don't want them running away; but a 458?

Just curious.

And the IOR 4X on my 45/70 is perfect, very clear, very bright, reminds me of the limited range, site picture never changes, and it handles the recoil so far without problems.
So far, I've killed deer with it (and I've taken to shooting rifle scopes for fun and profit... well, fun).  Best whitetail deer rifle I've ever used.  I've not had one move out of his steps, except from the force of impact, yet.  I took it hog hunting last year, but only hog I saw I was carrying the .220 Swift.  Our forefathers hunted with .50cal (blackpowder, but .50cal nonetheless).  Less bloodshot meat than with 30-06, 7mmMag, 7mmSTW, etc.  Clean kill.  However, as with any weapon, shot placement is everything.  

Edited by Kickboxer - April/02/2009 at 20:00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic