OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Strikeforce Red Dot real world experience?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Strikeforce Red Dot real world experience?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Strikeforce Red Dot real world experience?
    Posted: January/14/2009 at 08:10
Has anyone actually used one of these Vortex red dots?  I am about to order one for my Saiga 12 as it seems like the perfect optic for it.  I really want to stick to a low price solution (was thinking about an Aimpoint Micro but nixed the idea because it cost more than the Saiga).  I plan on using this for deer and turkey hunting so the dot needs to work well in all kinds of lighting and weather.  Is this asking too much of a $130 sight?  Also where are they made, Philippines, China, or elsewhere?
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:12
I wrote a review in the review section.  It is not updated yet as I have not used it as much as I had hoped.  I am taking it to a two day rifle class the end of this month and will finish my review then..

As of right now with the little I have used it I am very disappointed in how bright the dot is or should I say how bright the dot is not.  I have been using it in the snow and I can barely see the dot in either red or green.  I find myself just using my back up irons through the otpic as much as I use the dot.  I called Vortex on this and they said yes it is not as bright as the Aimpoint.  So they know it and it seems to be fine with them.  Maybe if it is not used in the snow it will be better, but I am doubting it. 

I will give a good report on it after my class if you want to hold on that long.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13166
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:33
That is good to know thanks.  I think it is back to either a Kobra russian red dot to match the Saiga or a Bushnell Holosite
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:34
I am really having issues wanting any battery operated sight at this point.  Many of us are thinking bad times are coming in the future and if that is truly the case and things become hard to get (like batteries) why get one that totally relies on batteries.  Seems out there I know, but still something worth some merit.

Check out the trijicon reflex or the Zeiss Zpoint (it takes batteries but uses solar as well) or the Leupold Prismatic
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:39
I've always wondered about the zeiss.  It looks a bit funky but always wanted to check one out I see there are some on the sample list.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:54
One of the instructors at the school I attend is a marine and he says a buddy of his has been using the Zeiss in the middle east for a few years and it has worked perfectly.  He has also seen several go through classes at the school and they have always performed well. 

Your right they are fugly, but them seem to be working good.

donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:59
Coolt thanks for the advice, I see them on the Sample list for $370 so that is in my budget.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 16:53
Be advised, tritium red-dot sites (and most red-dot sites in general) can experience wash-out when looking from light to dark area, or dark-to-light or at objective with heavy contrast or objects similar color as the reticle.  That said, I am a fan of the Trijicon Reflex sites.

Also, Aimpoint battery is good for a long, long time and Chris has a special on them - well worth the look.

If you are looking at the holosite, also look at the EoTech, a beefed-up version of the holosite.  The military version takes AA batteries so should be fine and it is very fat on target and plenty bright for use in sunny outings.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 21:03
Yeah I now have about $500 bucks to spend.  I really like the Aimpoint Micro or the Trijicon Tripower.  Those are the 2 I keep going back to so they are probably where I will end up.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic