OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

united scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 280shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: united scope
    Posted: January/15/2009 at 21:39
A buddie of mine had asked me if i ever heard of a scope company named UNITED.?
I never had, he said his Dad had it years ago.and he had droped it,and it broke.
Has anyone heard of this scope? was it bought up by a big company,maybe a name change.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 06:34
I know that United Binocular Company in Chicago imported rifle scopes and binoculars to the USA during the 50s up to the 1980s.  There was an interruption in there of several years. 

I see United scopes on ebay once in a while---not too often.  I have also seen THE EXACT SAME scope labeled under other names from around the the same time period---you can spot those early sixties models by the shape of the scope and the turrets, etc.

I remember seeing ads for them ( United ) in all the old hunting magazines when I was a teenager and, now that I am older,  I always thought it would be fun to have one.  But, I haven't done so yet.  I believe that they are NOT PERMANENTLY CENTERED and, of course, would have the ancient single coat of "hard coating" on the lenses--so they would just be a daylight scope--and the reticles are all fine crosshairs!!  But, I would still like to get one for nostalgia's sake.     

*I forgot to mention that they are Japanese from the old days.....   Big Grin

Edited by Ed Connelly - January/16/2009 at 15:22
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
280shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 280shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 20:19
you are a world of information,,,,       thank you very much, I forwarded your reply to my buddy ,,

thank you
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 13:24
I happened to get a look at a page of a 1963 United Binocular catalog the other day on the internet.  The page was saying that the scopes have permanently centered reticles.  The scope in the pictures had the " newer " style windage-elevation turrets on top.   The kind of modern-looking turrets- like today's scopes---instead of the big old huge turrets that resemble the old Lyman scopes and the old Bushnell scopes from the early sixties.  So if you see one of those United scopes ---they should have permanently-centered reticles.  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic