OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Magnum Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Yea,I had high hopes for the 25wssm. Seems there are ALOT of bad experiences like pyro's.

Yeh! and only winchester makes ammo for it, and if you look nobody else chambers for it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 19:58
  Yep,it's history. I'll just stick with my .25-06.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 20:00
Those wssm`s casings look funny too. The neck diameter a little out of porportion with the casing diameter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 10:42
they should have done a .264 wsm is what they should have don.

the problem with the 25wssm was that the shoulder was so steep and the neck was so short that they had to modify the follower and the ramp so that damn thing would even load up at all. steep geometry can be a pain in the ass in instances like that. it was an ok idea, but they would have been better served doing it in a wsm instead of the wssm, i know that jon sundra pleaded with winchester/browning to make the .25 in a wsm it made more sense. and he was right, the 25 was the first of the wssm's to be dropped.

Edited by pyro6999 - January/22/2009 at 10:45
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 10:49
   Read a post somewhere that was saying  one of the top custom riflemakers(Charlie Sisk maybe?) would only use Winchesters CRPF action when building a rifle chambered for a WSM due to feeding problems. Got one in .300 WSM under the bed behind me. My friend's VERY recoil sensitive and can't handle it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 10:54
i never had any feeding issues with my 300wsm, but that rifle was so light it beat me into submission so i traded it off on a .264 win mag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 11:13
  That's the way my friends Win is. It's one of those Super Black Shadows I think it's called? Weighs in right at 7.5# w/sling and VX II 3-9x40 but no ammo. I LIKE it ALOT!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:04
mine was a browning composite stalker, it weighed in at 6.6lbs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i never had any feeding issues with my 300wsm, but that rifle was so light it beat me into submission so i traded it off on a .264 win mag.
..................................Heavy Recoil..........Crutch..........Really Sad................................................Roll on Floor Laughing
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:15
if that wsm was a "real" rifle instead of a "toy" version it would have been fine. if it would have weighed 7-8lbs without a scope it would have been nice.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 21:20
I think Weatherby should cut down their cases and offer a couple Weatherby short mags there would be no infringement on Rick Jamison since they would by on a Weatherby radius shoulder?   not the same as his.  just think of all the short action nuts reactions.

Edited by rifle looney - January/26/2009 at 21:21
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 09:24
lazzeroni sorta does that except of course there cases arent belted. but who can afford 5-6 $5500 rifles?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 10:42
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I think Weatherby should cut down their cases and offer a couple Weatherby short mags there would be no infringement on Rick Jamison since they would by on a Weatherby radius shoulder?   not the same as his.  just think of all the short action nuts reactions.
...........From what I understand, that`s why Ruger discontinued the 300-325 WSMs in their compacts because of patent infringement on Rick Jamison.....Oh well! I got mine though!!!

So what Ruger/Hornady did, was to come up with the RCMs based on a smaller version of the 375 Ruger case and bypass the WSMs plus any legalities all-together. Very clever!!!

Although possible, I don`t think we`ll see any new shorter cartridge creativity or innovation coming out of Weatherby.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 10:43
i wouldnt say that, push comes to shove and ed's boys will come up with something. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 16:18
I was just thinking for them to stay in the game if it continues they would have a nitch just like they do with their regular rounds .$$$$$$$$$ short action real Weatherby?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 20:43
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i wouldnt say that, push comes to shove and ed's boys will come up with something. 
..........Well!......The 300 WSM has been out since about 2000-2001, followed by the 270 WSM, 7 WSM and the 325 WSM. And yet during most of this decade, there has been nothing from Weatherby in the short mag ammo market which has been created from, or influenced by their regular Weatherby factory cartridges.

If Weatherby were to create shorter mags based on their longer existing cartridges, they certainly couldn`t call them and market them using the same WSM initials; short for (Weatherby Short Magnums) for patent reasons. That would really piss Winchester off!

Because of the WSM`s and now the new RCM`s, I don`t think that we will see any short mags coming from Weatherby, because there really isn`t anywhere else to go in design and innovating, that would be any improvement to what already exists. In other words, imo, you cannot take any existing factory Weatherby casing, shorten it up, make an improvement over either the WSM`s or the RCM`s, while maintaining an approx. COAL of a .308 Win or a little longer.

In the shorter mag market, Weatherby missed the boat. Whereas over the past few years and presently, Winchester with their WSM`s, Hornady and Ruger with the advent of the 375, 416 Rugers, 300-338 RCM`s and making rifles chambered for them, have capitalized big time!!!

Imo, if Weatherby does come out with some short mags, they won`t grow to the degree in popularity as the WSM`s or the up and coming RCM`s. I believe that Weatherby is a more traditional company, which prides itself in the longer magnum market and will stay that way!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 20:54
Squeeze......I SAID THINK OF IT >>>>NOT RUIN IT, I HAVE A DREAM!.....LOL......build it and they will come?

Edited by rifle looney - January/28/2009 at 20:54
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 01:02
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Squeeze......I SAID THINK OF IT >>>>NOT RUIN IT, I HAVE A DREAM!.....LOL......build it and they will come?
.........."I have a dream!" "I have a dream, that one day new little Weatherby Short Magnum cartridges can run around with little WSM and RCM cartridges,,,I have a dream today!"........Roll on Floor Laughing....Laugh
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 15:54
OK.....whatever... and I guess a new Weatherby super squeezer is not in the future for you .

Reloader
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 18:29
squeeze after some research and development and a couple of phone calls we finally came up with a prototype sorry about the pictures and tooling marks but you get the picture told you it could be done./weatherby on the left / wsm on the right ..270

Edited by rifle looney - January/30/2009 at 19:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic