OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedO.T. Coffee House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484485486487488 657>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:24
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

You know what's funny (not really) is it's a dry township...there is no alcohol available up there. It's a very old fashioned town, so if you want some alkeehaul make sure you BYOB! Big Smile

And i'm pretty sure they have a no alcohol policy on hunts (liability and all). I'll double check that but don't want you to ruin any beer!

whats deer camp without beer??? that would suck, thats half of the fun. drinking beer at night and having a good food and good conversations.

Oh, there is beer, and lots of drinking going on, but you have to BYOB from other areas. It's just the township that won't allow the sale of alcohol or beer. I've spent many a day/night up there having some brews around a fire or table, or dirt (when i drank to much)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:29

Man I'm a little stiff this morning from running a skid loader last evening.  1st Time I've run a Gehl 4840.  Used to a Bobcat 753.  Pretty sensitive controls so I bounced around a bit and got thrown around too a bit.  Hence the soreness. 

Had to dig a pit to bury my sisters golden Lab, Chloe.  Old Chloe was the corn picking dog I told you guys about!  She was 11 and her hips were totally shot.  My sister had kept her going for the last 3 years on steriods.  She went into kidney failure and gained 10 pounds in one week. couldn't get up anymore and was suffering from the heat.  It was her time, I went over and got her in the Cherokee for sis then while she went to the Vets to do the deed I dug the hole.  I buried her in the back corner of the property with her facing the house so she could keep an I on us.  We'll miss her for sure, she was all heart...and corn!

Edited by budperm - July/28/2010 at 06:31
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:32
Here's a link to google maps of Blain PA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=blain%20pa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

If you go just south of the town, you'll see Book road, that is where the preserve is. Hyd-a-del is the name of it. There is a small hotel in town (Blain hotel) that most of the hunters from out of town stay in. It's way out in the country so the nearest hotels are probably a good hour a way in Carlisle, so you'd probably not want to drive that much to and from where you're staying.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:36
  SORRY to hear that,Bud.

I'm SO TIRED of putting pets down.  Two to go.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:43
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Man I'm a little stiff this morning from running a skid loader last evening.  1st Time I've run a Gehl 4840.  Used to a Bobcat 753.  Pretty sensitive controls so I bounced around a bit and got thrown around too a bit.  Hence the soreness. 

Had to dig a pit to bury my sisters golden Lab, Chloe.  Old Chloe was the corn picking dog I told you guys about!  She was 11 and her hips were totally shot.  My sister had kept her going for the last 3 years on steriods.  She went into kidney failure and gained 10 pounds in one week. couldn't get up anymore and was suffering from the heat.  It was her time, I went over and got her in the Cherokee for sis then while she went to the Vets to do the deed I dug the hole.  I buried her in the back corner of the property with her facing the house so she could keep an I on us.  We'll miss her for sure, she was all heart...and corn!

Sorry to hear about Chloe. I have a 10 year old Chocolate lab, named Dutch. He's got lumps on his hips and probably doesn't have many more years in him. Great dog, and it will be very hard to lose him, especially on my mom.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:50
Yeah,  they are a member of the family for sure and usually some of the better behaved members at that!  My sister was a Vet Tech and ran the operating room in a large practice before her arthritis got to bad.  She's rescued 100rds of animals of all kinds.  I watched her stop and perform a roadside C-section on a doe that got hit and killed by a car in front of us.  She actually saved the fawn! 

Anyway Chloe was the surrogate mother for everything from kittens and squirrels to dogs and rabbits.  They would sleep with her and she would tend thelike they were her own!

Sorry my fingers are not co-operating today!

Edited by budperm - July/28/2010 at 06:51
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:53
Sorry to hear bout the dog Bud.   Sure isn't easy
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:55
Ten years is a long life for a big dog!  I am sure he wil be sorely missed when he is gone.  Labs in general are great family dogs!  So you've got a chocolate knothead huh!  My sis bread chocs for years, I love them!
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:58
Morning all.  Got a busy day here. How bout yall?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 06:59

If you go just south of the town, you'll see Book road, that is where the preserve is. Hyd-a-del is the name of it. There is a small hotel in town (Blain hotel) that most of the hunters from out of town stay in. It's way out in the country so the nearest hotels are probably a good hour a way in Carlisle, so you'd probably not want to drive that much to and from where you're staying.
Thats actually a great location, Paul.  Earl could jump on 81, Ed and AJ could jump on the PA turnpike.  Scott and I would probably come up through Carisle! Scott's has boys that hunt too so thats also a possibility.
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:01
He is such an awesome dog. Most laid back lab i've ever been around in my life. Nothing really got him riled up. Very well mannered. Except for horses. He HATED them. Would bark like a maniac and chase them off if riders came through on the edge of our property lol. Not sure what it was. Probably a territory thing. They really are the best family dogs and he was no different.

My dad broke his leg a few years back after slipping on a wet slope of grass and Dutch stayed with him as my dad had to crawl back to the door and holler for me. And he protects my mother like no one else. He's tied to her hip lol.

Edited by shooter07 - July/28/2010 at 07:02
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:08
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Thats actually a great location, Paul.  Earl could jump on 81, Ed and AJ could jump on the PA turnpike.  Scott and I would probably come up through Carisle! Scott's has boys that hunt too so thats also a possibility.

Yeah it actually is located well for travel from multiple areas. And with the hotel right in Blain it keeps you from having to get up extra early to drive up.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:11
I'm anxious to hear what he can tell you this weekend so we can seriously start planning it.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I'm anxious to hear what he can tell you this weekend so we can seriously start planning it.

Absolutely. When i go up, ill gather as much info as i can. I won't be able to give exact pricing obviously because you'll want to figure out how many are coming up and how many birds you want but i can get a brochure and mail it to one or both of you guys as well. I'll check on the rules as i'm sure things have been updated but like i said before, no license needed (im 99% sure of this) and there will be a no alcohol policy while hunting on the property. You need orange on head and body while hunting. And you'll be asked to sign a liability agreement, or that's how they've handled all new customers in the past. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:17
I dont' care about the drinking thing, dont' think anyone does.  Just let us know.  A brochure would be great. Let me know and i will PM you my mailing address.
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:19
I guess I can dig a decent shotgun out the closet for a bird hunt.  Got a nice 11-87 that was my brothers that would be cool to use.  Fancy Grade for sure.
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:19
I can't shoot an over-under very good, tried for many years but never did get it.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:20
Morning men,  OH and Bud....
scooter65 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:22

I can't shoot an over-under very good, tried for many years but never did get it.

whaaaaa?  those are usually the better guns to swing on a bird.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 07:24

That's my shotgun of choice for birds, but you see many single barrels and even a few side by side.

I keep bugging the owner to sell me his Browning Citori over-under! Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484485486487488 657>
  Share Topic