OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22 Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deer Slay3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 Mag
    Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:13
Hi, my name is Jared. I'm new here and looking for some advise for a new scope.

I'll be using it on my 22 Magnum for predictor hunting. According to The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries you can use a light as long as its not attached or cast from a vehicle. So I'll need one that will perform in low light conditions well.

My Savage has a 21" bull barrel on it and is very accurate. I'll be shooting close ranges and up to maybe 100 yards.

I'm looking at this Weaver:
http://www.competitorss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849409&CFID=15107025&CFTOKEN=93218292

I was wondering if someone has this scope? Or if anyone knows a scope cheaper that is comparable to this one.

Thanks in advance for any input provided.

"Do whats right because it's the right thing to do."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:21
Welcome to O.T.
This site is owned by SWFA and posting a link to a competitor is against the rules. Since you are a new member, here is the link to forum rules. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5473
What power range are you looking for in a scope? Also, what price range?
My 22 mag night time rig has a 3.5-10x50 and is never used at 10x with artificial light. I think you can get by with a smaller scope.

Edited by tahqua - January/25/2009 at 14:21
Deer Slay3r View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deer Slay3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:59
Thank you for the rules, I didn't read then until after I had posted my message. Sorry about that. Lesson learned.

The one I'm looking at is a 4-16X42. The parallax is adjustable from 30 feet. But I don't know a whole lot about scopes so I'm not really sure what the best powers for my situation would be.

Price range preferably under $270.
"Do whats right because it's the right thing to do."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 15:07
The Nikon Team Primos and Bushnell4200 3-9x40's are a couple of scopes that have very good optics for the money. They actually perform almost as well as scopes costing twice as much. They have all the power needed for predator hunting at 100 yds or less. The reticles will also be fine with artificial light.
I think you would be better off with scopes of this quality than stepping down in quality to have a higher magnification range.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

Edited by tahqua - January/25/2009 at 15:08
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 07:22
Excellent
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The Nikon Team Primos and Bushnell4200 3-9x40's are a couple of scopes that have very good optics for the money. They actually perform almost as well as scopes costing twice as much. They have all the power needed for predator hunting at 100 yds or less. The reticles will also be fine with artificial light.
I think you would be better off with scopes of this quality than stepping down in quality to have a higher magnification range.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

Excellent EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATIONS
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 16:15
I think the 4200 would be really nice. I am not too fond of the bdc reticule which I "think" is on all the Primos.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 16:16
the primos indeed does have the bdc, but i didnt think i would like it, and after a few range sessions you forget its there.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 16:22

Yeh.........I haven't really spent any time with one.Just didn't like it at a glance !

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 16:44
730132P Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • Red/Green T-Dot
  • CR 2032 Battery
  • Weaver Style Rail
SWFA: $154.95
More Info... Buy Now
CRF03ILLD Vortex 2.5-10x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope                                                                                  Vortex 2.5-10x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • V-Brite
  • 1"
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

CRF01ILLD Vortex 3-9x40 Crossfire Rifle Scope                                                                                     Vortex 3-9x40 Crossfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • V-Brite
  • 1"
SWFA: $129.95
More Info... Buy Now
SFRDHUNT Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight                                                                               Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight
  • Matte
  • Red/Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes w/ Low Ring
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
If you are talking about hunting at night you need to be able to get on target and  you do not need a lot of magnification but it would be very helpful if you had an illuminated reticle.
You will find that you are better off not to exceed having the scope set on 3 or 4 power and a fixed 1x red dot would be just fine.  This is a 22 mag and really doesnt merit a $400 to $600 scope as your distance will be under 100 yds. If you just had more money that you needed you could put an expensive scope on but get something with an illuminated reticle and  you will be better off at night.  Note I prefer Trijicon and Aimpoint  illuminated optics.  If you have to have a traditional scope most 4x fixed power scopes would work fine.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic