OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope for 27" 338 lapua

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epinlasvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope for 27" 338 lapua
    Posted: January/27/2009 at 07:53
I meant to look into buying a simple remington 300 win mag and kinda ended up with a custom 338 lapua from GA precision.Barring my wife finding out and castrating me i need a scope.This would be my first long range precision rifle.I guess it would be used more for tactical purposes of protecting our property.There is at least 1 mile field of view in the desert where i would use it.I realize top of the line equipment costs money but would like to keep it around 2000$ But that said i really like the premier heritage and if i have to save up for a few more months i will.Thanks for your time
joe l.
Las vegas,nv.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 08:11
EP, if you are already considering the Premier, I would say go with it.  You are nearly there monetarily... if you can stand the wait, save up and get the Premier.  I think the jury may still be out on durability, based upon some other members' posts, but I suspect it will be just fine.  IF I had the funds, I would take the chance.  What's the worst that could happen??  You hate it and decide to give it to me at a DRASTICALLY reduced price...
You have the rifle, put the scope on it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
epinlasvegas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epinlasvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 08:35
I am not really in a hurry as i need to pay the rifle off first anyway.Then the ammo is crazy too,so with my budget i will not be able to get the scope for 1-2 months depending on tax returns.I was looking at ellis scopes and they seem pretty good? I have owned an IOR before and it seemed pretty decent,i like the mp-8 reticle.I was thinking swaro but wonder if it can handle the punishment.I know this is the best place to find out though.
Thats +1 for the heritage so far
joe l.
Las vegas,nv.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 12:37
The Ellis Optics scopes are still pre-production.  While durability is second to none, there are still some things they are rectifying.  Improving knobs/positioning, consistent glass quality, hard to turn magnification knob, etc.  Currently, the timeframe is uncertain since there are some design changes underway, based upon a conversation yesterday.  If you are saving funds for a few months anyway, who knows.  The Premier, according to one of our resident experts, Koshkin, is a superior optic, though. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 13:10
You'll want something with a ton of reticle travel.  A Nightforce scope would be a good choice.  I would not get an IOR unless you get the fixed 16x as most of them have 70 MOA or less or travel, it has 100 MOA  IOR has the one 40mm tubed one that has like 125 MOA but it is only 14x. 

Swaro has good glass but they don't really have a tactical scope. 

Nightforce is probably the best choice in your price range.  You can get a 5.5-22x for around $1600-$1650 and then spend the rest on a really nice set of rings and  base. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 13:41
I suggest you go and look at the 2009 SHOT Show impressions by Koshkin.  A lot of information there. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 15:55
Thats odd I went to GAPrecision talking to them about a 338 Lapua and they talked me into a 300 Win Mag.   I'm surprised they didnt talk you into a U.S. Optics scope. I would say buy a 16x Super Sniper for $299 and put that on so you can enjoy shooting it - as I doubt it will get shot a lot that may be all you ever need.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic