OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upcoming reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:06
thanks Koshkin,  
for taking time to fork out the cash and your time to answer many questions that all of us  have had. you sure are a great help when it comes to optics, many of us really appreciate what you are doing to help everybody!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 01:09
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

well for me, The Kahles CL. 

I have looked at Kahles CL and Swaro American side by side and, to my eyes, Kahles CL looked a touch better.  They were very close and the only conditions where the difference was perceptible, was in how well they controlled flare.  I was looking at Kahles American Hunter, CL and Swaro American.  They were all pretty close with the Swaro fitting between the two Kahles scopes. 

It is kind of a moot poin though because we do not know what is happening with Kahles right now.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 06:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Midrange tactical scopes that do not break the bank.  This is a topic that is certainly of interest to me, but it is a bit ambiguous.  I need to think of what the contender here are.  What do we consider a "does not break the bank" threshold? $400, $600, $800, $1000?  Then, how do we define a "tactical scope"? presence of tall knobs and a ranging reticle? FFP or SFP (or no difference)?  I am looking for some feedback here.

Sightron SIII SS 3.5-10x44 LR MD vs. new Vortex tactical, but I guess it would have to be the SIII SS 6-24x50 LR MD vs. Vortex' 5-20X to get a closer match. That definitely puts the threshold up to $800. I know for some that "midrange" begins with IOR and NF and tops out with USO, S&B, and Hendsoldt. But for most of us, $600-800 seems reasonable for a scope that is basically reliable, optically decent and that allows you to shoot out past max. point blank range. I would consider any kind of target turret, ranging reticle, and either FFP or SFP.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 06:55

That works for me ILya, Thanks!

take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 10:22
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Swaro American please....... 3-9X36 or 3-9X42.  something in that range.

Todd, I'm not Ilya, but I have the Swaro American 3-9X36 and 3-10X42.  What would you like me to compare one or both of them to?  Or, do you just want a single scope review?

In short, I think they are placed about right on the SWFA scope rating chart.  They are optically as good as just about any scope you'll find.  There have been reports of the AV series in general being a bit fragile, specifically when used on heavy recoil rifles.  I haven't had any mechanical problems with mine.  The 3-9X36 is mounted on a lightweight 7 WSM and the 3-10X42 is on a .300 Win Mag -- not super heavy recoil, but no mild kickers either.  They are perhaps a bit behind the likes of Zeiss Diavari, S&B, etc. optically, but not by much.  I think they are on par with Kahles, and noticeably better than Zeiss Conquest and comparable scopes to it.  They have excellent light transmission and are good performers in low light.  As a bonus, they are aesthetically good-looking scopes that are also very lightweight in comparison to other scopes of similar power.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic