OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint Comp M3 vs Comp M4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aimpoint Comp M3 vs Comp M4
    Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:49
I have been looking at getting a red dot for my AR.  What is that major differences in there two?  Is the M4 worth the extra money?  I am leaning towards the M3 to save money.  Also is there and other recommendations for red dot sights?

I got to play with a red dot very briefly in the military about 5 years ago.  It was an Aimpoint, but I can't say which one it was.  I was impressed with it, and I know a lot of military guys love the Aimpoint, but I am open to suggestions for other sights.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 11:11
Comp M4   2moa dot is better, AA is better

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/01/2009 at 20:25

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DOESRF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOESRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:08
Having shot several Eotech's and Aimpoints I settled on the CompM3.  Not a huge fan of the sight picture on the Eotech and the only difference between the CompM3 and M4 that I could tell was the type of battery.  The new m3 has 50,000 hours for one battery.  In my opinion the m4 isnt worth the extra $.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 13:45

You probably used something like the Comp M2 when in service. I loved that sight, but I'm REALLY warming up to the new T-1 I got.

Hard to beat this deal on an Aimpoint though.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:21
Which do you prefer?  The 2 MOA or the 4 MOA?  Also have any of you guys played with the 3x Magnifyer?

CT, do you thing the T-1 is as rugged as the M3 or M4?

I really wish there was a store here that had Aimpoints I could look at, but I haven't found one yet.

A few things I have seen that I like on the M4 is the mount is attached (no ring to mess with, and it is quick release), and the AA battery.  I like those features.  Is it worth the extra dough to get the M4 (battery, quick release mount, and killflash)?  Also, is the killflash necessary?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:59
I haven't fooled around enough with the T-1 to really comment on it's ruggedness, but I have read where several guys have knocked them around with no problems.

Check out the Vida's.

I prefer the 4 MOA dot because I feel it's a little faster for target acquisition.
Others prefer the 2 MOA dot because they feel they can attain better accuracy with the smaller dot covering less of the target.

As an aside, Aimpoint states that the T-1 has a 4 MOA dot, but it appears to me like it's closer to 2 or 3 MOA.

No experience with magnifiers, sorry.

Edited by cheaptrick - February/01/2009 at 15:59

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 16:01
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12982-507-aimpoint-larue-tactical-lt66x-qd-mount.aspx

Oh, if you Andy or any one reading this thread plans on running a T-1 or H-1 on a AR flat top, you'll need a riser mount.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 20:07
the Comp3c is the same basic optic expect it can't be swam with if you plan to go beyond 15ft deep :)

I like the 2moa dot because it allows for a more precise shot at distance and can simply be cranked to max for fast and close target acquisition

I have a compc3 and about to get another one

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic