OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for .300wsm deer/elk ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for .300wsm deer/elk ????
    Posted: February/01/2009 at 06:42
I need help. I am looking for a scope to put on a model  70 winchester in.300wsm.  This will be my deer/ elk rig.  Like to stay in the 450 and lower price range, no a o , sf ok. I was looking at the 3-9x50 3200 with firefly and nikon 2.5-10x50 monarch.  4-16x max power, open to any help thank you in advance.  
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 07:24
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10619-1511-new-sightron-3-9x42-sii-big-sky-riflescope.aspx  Only good stuff about this one,  i looked through my buddys, almost ran out and got me one that day
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 07:25
And theres a $50 doller rebate
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 07:46
  IF you have the funds to spend I would go ahead and get the best I could. Here are a few:

These aren't listed in order of preference.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 10:03
what do you think about firefly ret. is it good or a gimmick? i like the 4200 how does it compare to the nikon monarch and sightron sii as i have both on my varmit rigs and like both.  is the 4200 worth nikon money??
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 10:17
Nothing wrong with the 4200, it holds its own against the sightron, zeiss, leupold and monarch.  At this price point I'd forgo the firefly and get the best optics I could afford, in other words I'd take any of the above optics without firefly over the 3200 with firefly.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 10:45
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Nothing wrong with the 4200, it holds its own against the sightron, zeiss, leupold and monarch.  At this price point I'd forgo the firefly and get the best optics I could afford, in other words I'd take any of the above optics without firefly over the 3200 with firefly.

+1
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 11:57
I agree but the 4200 has two offerings with the firefly a 2.5-10x40 for 400 and 2.5-10x50 for 490. is the 50mm worth the extra money?? 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 14:57
40 mm will serve just fine, and keep your scope lower to the gun
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 16:37
I recommend you not get anything with a 1" diameter tube (and Swaro agrees with me, and Zeiss, and...)

I've shot the firefly reticle and it ain't my favorite.  be advised that it is significantly fatter than most reticles.  It does work well and functions as advertised, but it isn't made for precision work.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 22:17
<snipped>

Edited by koshkin - February/02/2009 at 19:47
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 13:45
Next question sightron sii big sky 3-9x42 hunter hold over 400 new, zeiss conquest 3-9x40 rap. z 600 for 460 sample list, or leuold vx-3 2.5-8x36 b@c 450 plex 390.   3.5-10x40 b@c 530 plex 446 sample list new. ?? What is the best by/ best scope?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 14:57
These scopes are all so close that it boils down to personal preference and brand loyalty.  Pick one and enjoy!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:08

I have a couple of comments, mostly about some of the previous posts. I am assuming that since you want this for a deer/elk rig then the deer hunting isn't shooting Southern whitetails at 700 yards. If so, then there is no reason for evne considering an A.O. in the first place, which makes your list of choices a good one.

Second, yes the Firefly reticle is pretty thick, though at the center it really isn't all that thick. It won't "cover up" a deer or even come close, even at 400+ yards. You'll still see plenty of deer to aim at. Just put the middle of the reticle where you want the bullet to land, and it will. The same thing applies to a lot of thicker hunting reticles.

This is a hunting scope, not as target scope. A lot of people are apparently under the impression that without a fine-centered reticle that we won't hit the right hair on a deer's chest. Guess what? We won't even with a very fine-centered reticle, and it doesn't matter.

The Firefly works fine for big game hunting, even at quite long range. I know this because I have used it onb a lot of big game animas, as well as other "too-thick" hunting reticle like the Leupold Heavy Duplex, even on pronghorn at longer ranges. They were designed for hunting, not shooting 1/4' groups, and work great for their intended purpose.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:28
Agreed, John. I have 6 4200 and two of them have the FireFly reticle. I used to get some ribbing here about the FF reticle for it being nothing more than a "gimmick". I have never charged the reticle while hunting as I have never found it necessary. It's bold profile is what makes it a great low light reticle, IMO.
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:39
Originally posted by Dave Wilson Dave Wilson wrote:

i can't post my scope for sale in the classifieds, but this seems like a logical spot. i have a NIB Sightron 4-16 Big Sky that i'll ship for 400. it's never been mounted, brand new.

What reticle?
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by Dave Wilson Dave Wilson wrote:

<snip>

Dave, this is certainly not the logical place to place your classified ad.  The "For Sale" forum is restricted to people who post on the forum regularly.  We were trying to avoid a situation where people stop by just to sell some stuff and never post again.  The "For Sale" forum is designed as a tool for forum regulars to sell stuff.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:52
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I have a couple of comments, mostly about some of the previous posts. I am assuming that since you want this for a deer/elk rig then the deer hunting isn't shooting Southern whitetails at 700 yards. If so, then there is no reason for evne considering an A.O. in the first place, which makes your list of choices a good one.

Second, yes the Firefly reticle is pretty thick, though at the center it really isn't all that thick. It won't "cover up" a deer or even come close, even at 400+ yards. You'll still see plenty of deer to aim at. Just put the middle of the reticle where you want the bullet to land, and it will. The same thing applies to a lot of thicker hunting reticles.

This is a hunting scope, not as target scope. A lot of people are apparently under the impression that without a fine-centered reticle that we won't hit the right hair on a deer's chest. Guess what? We won't even with a very fine-centered reticle, and it doesn't matter.

The Firefly works fine for big game hunting, even at quite long range. I know this because I have used it onb a lot of big game animas, as well as other "too-thick" hunting reticle like the Leupold Heavy Duplex, even on pronghorn at longer ranges. They were designed for hunting, not shooting 1/4' groups, and work great for their intended purpose.

Ditto on the Firefly reticle: it is a very visible reticle in low light even without the glow.  As for shooting groups, I thought it worked fine for that too, although not as well as some ultrathin reticles.

ILya
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 20:00

Koshkin.......I thought Dave was saying that he didn't have enough posts in to post his scope in the "For Sale" forum.  I could be wrong.

Doug

but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 20:05
yes.. there for he may not post it for sale any where on SWFA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic