OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First Shots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Shots
    Posted: February/01/2009 at 16:27
I just re-scoped my German Voere Titan II 30-06 with a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 2.5-10x42 from the SWFA samplelist.  First 3 shots after boresight, 100yds, no rest.  I'm pleased, so far.  I couldn't wait to take it to the range, but after those three shots, I can remain "good" until I can get to a place where I can really tune it in.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 17:08
 Pleased? I reckin you are. Factory or reloads?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 17:48
Looks good, Dan. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 20:17
Diavari  --- WOW   Im impressed.  What is it like to see all the stuff youve been missing?Shocked

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 20:24
No rest!.......fine shooting.     Excellent
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:19
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Pleased? I reckin you are. Factory or reloads?
Federal Power-shok 165gr.  Not a good hunting load based upon past experience, but very good for targets.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:52
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Diavari  --- WOW   Im impressed.  What is it like to see all the stuff youve been missing?Shocked

To my eye there is a clear superiority of the Zeiss to the ATN 6-18x65 that has been on the rifle... in optical clarity.  The difference is almost indescribable.  However, the ATN does have a very good range finding and bullet drop compensating reticle.  I like the reticle a lot better than the Zeiss #8.  BUT, as they say, you can't have everything.  I will always trade the glass for the reticle.  
The big "tell" is when my wife looked through the Zeiss. SHE was amazed.  SHE even said it was probably worth it.  If SHE says something like that, you KNOW it is good.  

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 04:31
Nice start. The Voere is a great rifle. My dad had one in a 308. Shot very well.
Some handloads, a rest and you can get some cloverleaf.
That should impress your wife!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 05:39
8, the Voere is probably the best rifle, overall, I have.  There are more expensive, but none with the character, feel and just built in quality of the Voere.  The action is amazing.  That one group measured .78in center to center and with a rest my wife and I consistently hold 1/2MOA or under.  I don't reload anymore, so have to go with what the factories provide.  However, they are pretty darn good nowadays.  Not sure I can do any better.  

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 06:25
  Your right about factory ammo! If the rifle has no major accuracy robbing problems there's no reason why factory ammo won't give tight groups. My .270 FWT really likes 130gr Win Super-X ammo.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:28
Wow. I would be happy to get groups like that any day. The good news is you may be able to trade that Zeiss for a new one someday. I hear they are planning on putting the Rapid-Z reticles in the victory series next. You would have your rangefinding bdc reticle, and great glass. Nice shooting.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 15:39
I may learn to love this reticle... I don't think I will want to trade it in anytime soon.

Still have not been to the range, had to set up in the backyard again, but this is after I made the turret adjustments.  I am VERY happy.  Mr. Chris, thank you very much...
The group size was measured with a ruler, battery is dead on my caliper, it is SLIGHT over .5in.  

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 16:39
  DEFINITELY a keeper set-up!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:32
One of the easiest scope mount and zero jobs I have ever done.  Glass is absolutely superb.  I will be writing a review of this scope soon.  Still need to spend some time at the range with it.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 15:21
Nice shooting Dan.

Should I be taking the credit for pushing you toward the Zeiss? or was it someone else?

Allround, I believe it is the best hunting scope made.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 19:31
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Nice shooting Dan.

Should I be taking the credit for pushing you toward the Zeiss? or was it someone else?

ILya

All credit goes to you, Oh Dark Lord.  Your recommendations steered me in the correct direction.  It is truly a complement to the excellence of the Voere rifle.  I did a direct comparison today, low light, general observation (no "grid") between the Nikon Monarch 4-14(laser), Springfield Armory 6-20x56 3rd Generation, and the Zeiss.  Ziess has a visible edge over the SA, significant edge over the Nikon. Soon I will do a direct, scientific comparison.  
Thank you very much for helping me make up my mind... your inputs gave me the impetus to make a good decision.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 22:11
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Nice shooting Dan.

ILya

All credit goes to you, Oh Dark Lord.  Your recommendations steered me in the correct direction.  It is truly a complement to the excellence of the Voere rifle.  I did a direct comparison today, low light, general observation (no "grid") between the Nikon Monarch 4-14(laser), Springfield Armory 6-20x56 3rd Generation, and the Zeiss.  Ziess has a visible edge over the SA, significant edge over the Nikon. Soon I will do a direct, scientific comparison.  
Thank you very much for helping me make up my mind... your inputs gave me the impetus to make a good decision.  

A first step toward the Dark Side, but an important one: from ATN to Zeiss Victory.

I prophecy that there shall be moreDevil

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 22:44
You know, I know you are just joking, but I just HAVE to be an #$$ here.  
C'mon, there was never, in my mind, a valid quality comparison between Zeiss and ATN.  The ATN fit a particular need at a particular time for a price I could afford.  While not in the "league" of a Zeiss, for the dollars (after all the initial hassles...maybe they had to build one specially for me to make it work, I don't know) the ATN has not been a terrible scope.  Lacking in many respects, but functional.  I have always wanted to move up to a better scope.  When YOU have 4 daughters and their associated costs, a "custom" house designed by your "better half" that is about double the required square footage,  associated cars, insurance, etc, and a salary that is Government dictated because you choose to try to better the system rather than feed off it, then I will accept criticism for scope-type purchase.  I cashed in an IRA to buy this scope.  Something I thought was worthwhile at the time... I could live to regret it.  My wife is, though she appreciates the scope's quality, STILL unhappy about the purchase.  Everybody's a critic.  Just blowing off some steam, my friend.  Nothing personal... You ARE the Dark Lord of Optics and I spent a lot of time looking at various alernatives at your suggestion, which is HIGHLY respected and much appreciated.  The point is, given the restraints I had, you might have purchased an ATN yourself.  Don't say "no" until you walk in my shoes.  AND, everything about the ATN is not bad.  It does have some features I like...unfortunately those are outweighed by more important features, which are negative.  Like, oh, SEEING things through the lenses.  Low light performance may actually be better than daylight performance.  
Howver, the Zeiss is all I hoped it would be and more.  I am still exploring the vast utility of this fine piece of optical craftsmanship.  However, it WILL NOT stand up to the beating an Ellis Optics scope will take. I am NOT going to take it out and throw it up against the 10 foot ceiling in my garage and let it bounce around on the concrete floor.  It MIGHT live over it, but I am not willing to bet on it. 
The Sith turn on their own...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 23:16
I think it is the fate of the Sith to be misunderstood Boo Hoo.

All I said was that there is a significant step up in going from ATN to Zeiss Victory (which is an entirely valid point), and what do I get in return?  A stern admonishment backed up by some serious firepower.  What am I supposed to do now? Avoid Alabama until the end of days?  I sense that the Thanksgiving dinner invitation is about to be revokedReally Sad

On a more serious note, previously to this post, I was by no means criticizing your earlier purchase of ATN (which happened before I knew you, I think).  I was merely congratulating you on a purchase of the Zeiss.  Nothing more than that.

Now, had I known anything about that whole IRA business, I would not have recommended Zeiss.  YOU asked for a top notch scope recommendation, because YOU wanted a "special" scope for such a special rifle.  If memory serves me right, I recommended a whole list of different scopes in different price ranges and some of them were cheaper than the ATN (which, by the way, is not a cheap scope to start with, unless you got a 60% discount on it).

Now that we are both done venting, one more comment on Government dictating salaries: it may happen to all of us soon enough, the way things have been going.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2009 at 09:26

Just diggin' at you, ILya, as has been suggested by some "stirring the pot".  My warped sense of humor.  Your invitation is ALWAYS open and I would NEVER admonish you "for real" about such a thing.  Your recommendation only fueled my zealousness.  I got what I wanted, and my wife is not nearly as unhappy as that post possibly sounded.  She did, a few nights ago, start sharpening the sword I gave her, though.  There is so little to compare between the ATN and the Zeiss, it is almost a crime to put them in sentences together. 

Apologies if there was a misunderstanding.  I was just trying to make you feel like a heel... did my tale of woe bring tears???????????? 
I SHOULD have mentioned my 7 step-children, as well. 

Edited by Kickboxer - February/09/2009 at 09:27

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic