OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tikka T3 Lite 30-06
    Posted: February/10/2009 at 10:06
I've wanted something a little less brutal than my 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM yet lighter than my 7.4lb Howa M1500. I'm a 30cal kind of guy and I've gone ahead and ordered a 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. 

I'll probably sell my 30-06 Howa. They make good rifles but I'm 53 and when hiking through rolling hills in 100 degree weather every ounce counts and losing 17 ounces is golden. Here is my delema. Do I transfer the 13.5oz 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos to the new Tikka; buy another 13.5oz 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch; buy a 11oz Leupold VX-II Ultralight 3-9x33; or maybe a 13.5oz Bushnell Elite 3-9x40. I'm not sure if it's normal but the focus on my Team Primos (I have two) is not nearly as sharp as my 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch or my 2.5-10 Burris Signature Select and that really bugs me.

Anyway I've ruled out all of the 2.5-10x models because of weight. All seem to be over 15oz and I don't want to go heavier than the 13.5oz Team Primos. That would just defeat my main reason for buying the Tikka. Well I'll admit that part of it was that I do love Tikkas. Big Grin

I'm leaning toward the 2-8x32 Monarch but would like to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I've spent too much on guns and optics lately so let's keep it under 13.5oz and $350.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 11:04
Maybe get one of the old Leupold VX-IIIs that are on sale now for about $350.  They should be under 13 oz.   Bandito  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 11:31
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I've wanted something a little less brutal than my 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM yet lighter than my 7.4lb Howa M1500. I'm a 30cal kind of guy and I've gone ahead and ordered a 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. 

I'll probably sell my 30-06 Howa. They make good rifles but I'm 53 and when hiking through rolling hills in 100 degree weather every ounce counts and losing 17 ounces is golden. Here is my delema. Do I transfer the 13.5oz 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos to the new Tikka; buy another 13.5oz 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch; buy a 11oz Leupold VX-II Ultralight 3-9x33; or maybe a 13.5oz Bushnell Elite 3-9x40. I'm not sure if it's normal but the focus on my Team Primos (I have two) is not nearly as sharp as my 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch or my 2.5-10 Burris Signature Select and that really bugs me.

Anyway I've ruled out all of the 2.5-10x models because of weight. All seem to be over 15oz and I don't want to go heavier than the 13.5oz Team Primos. That would just defeat my main reason for buying the Tikka. Well I'll admit that part of it was that I do love Tikkas. Big Grin

I'm leaning toward the 2-8x32 Monarch but would like to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I've spent too much on guns and optics lately so let's keep it under 13.5oz and $350.
......................What are your average ranges for hunting and in what kind of terrain?

If your hunting distances don`t exceed 400, maybe out to 500 yards on deer sized game and larger and your not paper punching and scoring at long distances, why not go to an even lighter, lower powered variable?

For kill shots say out to 500 yards, some hunters never exceed 5x or 6x anyway. I am one of them. The more you magnify onto a target, the more scope wobble (wiggle) there will be, regardless of your shooting position or rest. That causes small time delays in getting the shot off.  If your eyes are in good shape, a 5x to 6x on the high end for hunting purposes is more than adequate for a 30-06.

I use a 9.5 oz 1.5-5x20 VX3 on my 300 WSM Ruger compact and love it. Regardless of the shorter tube, it is by no means a short to medium range rifle. That scope on the low power for moving targets or otherwise, has very fast both eyes open acquisition and aiming for brush and timbers, along with the capability for some precision long range plains shooting when needed. Recently at the range, I took a one gallon milk jug filled with water and placed it up on a hill at the 300 yard mark. One shot, dead on! No problem on the 5x zeroing in on that milk jug.

That VX3 or similiar scope like the lower powered Sightron Big Sky, will keep your rifle weight down, which will keep that Tikka a great handler and wonderful carry rifle in the field. Within 400-500 yards, the 1.5x5 will do anything that the 1.75 x6 can do or even the 2.5x8 for that matter.

Many people after buying lighter and better handling rifles, defeat the purpose or theme of their rifle by mounting a larger and heavier scope and sometimes over-scoping in the process. Aside from a rifle`s dimensions and weight, the proper scope is another element to better handling and speed, while keeping the weight down at the same time.

Although I`m not a big fixed fan, I have a shooting friend who has a fixed 4x Leupold on his 7mm Remy mag. He nailed a pronghorn at 467 yards with it.

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 13:03
My choice in your price range would be either the 3-9x40 4200 or a Sightron Big Sky. Reason being the hydrophobic coating. The Leupold ultalights are also a good choice especially with the Alumina filters and RainCote. I have a 270 Tikka T3 and just bought a Trijicon TR-21R 1.25-4x24 for the same quest for weight savings. Another option I've gone with is a picatinny rail so I can switch to a dot scope for light weight close in work out to 150 yards or so. When stand hunting longer distances I pop on a larger scope. You can even walk in with the dot scope then switch to a heavier scope from your pack when you get set up.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 13:06
P.S. Walking in with a dot scope is also good when your in rough terrain. You don't have to worry about dropping your rifle and being done for the day, not to mention out a good scope. Plus you have a back up if something goes wrong. When flying you can carry your optics in your carry on luggage too. OK. I'm done now...
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 14:35
I'd opt for the Elite 4200 3-9x40 along with a Limbsaver recoil pad. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 02:03
In the "tweener" category, I can recommend Vortex Viper 2-7x32.  It is a nice little scope and I like the reticle selection for it.  For quick acquisition, I think C3 reticle is a very nice way to go, while BDC reticle gives you some holdover options.

For something even smaller, Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20 is very nice.

For something compact, but with a bit more magnification, the often overlooked Sightron S2 2.5-10x32 is a surprisingly nice scope.

If you would rather have something a bit bigger, I think Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42 is within your weight limit, but barely. 

Another good choice is Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 although it may not sneak under your price cap.

ILya
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 00:23
Thanks for everyone's input. The reason that I haven't posted back is that I've been reading replies and thinking instead of speaking. For those that haven't noticed I also have a thread in the Tactical forum concerning optics for a new 6.8SPC AR15.  I've been doing some deep thinking and I'll toss out my thoughts on both and see what you fine folks think.

I currently have a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 w/BDC sitting on a Howa M1500 2N1 Youth Rifle that I bought for hogging in our local rolling hills. These very from scrubland to heavy brush and hog shots are 20-200 yards. The short youth stock and 20" barrel makes for a handy if heavy little .308. I also have a Bushnell/Browning 2-7x32 laying around, and a 3-9x40 Team Primos.  If I mount one of those three on the Tikka it would free up money for a Leopold VX-III 1.5-5x20 for the new 6.8 SPC.

Howa 2N1 Youth - the bipod is mounted for the photo only.

I hate moving scopes around but my favorite of the three listed is the 2-8x Monarch and I'm tempted to move it to the Tikka and stick the 2-7x Bushnell/Browning on the Howa. I'm just thinking out loud at this point, but am I crazy? On the right track? Should I shutup and just mount the Team Primos to the Tikka? Am I way off track thinking that the Leupold is the perfect SHTF/hunting scope for a Lothar barreled AR15 in 6.8 SPC?

My other Tikka with a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 installed. Bipod installed for the photo only.

*Note: The Browning is a Bushnell 3200 minus Rainguard.
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 00:44
A couple of comments:

-Browning is more like Elite 4200 optical quality without the Rainguard, but in a Elite 3200 configuration.  It is a pretty nice scope.

-Any of your three scopes would fit fine on the Tikka and Howa.  It is somewhat inconsequential which one, all are pretty good.  The new Monarch has the most eye relief, so put it on a rifle with the most kick.

As for your 6.8SPC, something along the lines of a 1-4x or 1.5-5x  would be a good way to go.  Although that Leupold would probably not be my top choice, it is a good scope and will serve you well.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 12:10
This is a bit over your ranges but it would be what I'd get.

Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest Rifle Scope

Send this page to a friend
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13.75

Zeiss Z-Plex
Z-Plex

Length (in): 12.2
Eye Relief (in): 4
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 39.9 - 13.2
Exit Pupil (mm): 12.8 - 4
Stock # Price Quantity  
5214259920 $399.95 < id=Quantity size=3 value=1 name=Quantity>

take em!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 15:47
Just an update. Since I blew all of my money on the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x24 for my upcoming 6.8 SPC AR15 I decided to punt and use the Team Primos scopes that I already had laying around. The rings are light weight Talley. Total empty weight just a hair over 7.1lbs including the scope and Limbsaver. Big Grin

Edited by sholling - February/26/2009 at 16:39

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:11
Talley makes great rings, all my Tikkas now wear Talleys. That almost sounds dirty. Almost.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Talley makes great rings, all my Tikkas now wear Talleys. That almost sounds dirty. Almost.

I usually reserve Talleys for my Howas, my 300WM T3 Lite sports DedNutz... now that sounds dirty. Smile

TexSands View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 12:48
I mounting a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 on my Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 300 wm.  Would you all recommend the Talley's or DedNutz set-up?  Low or medium height?
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 12:55
Nice guns!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 13:01
Originally posted by TexSands TexSands wrote:

I mounting a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 on my Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 300 wm.  Would you all recommend the Talley's or DedNutz set-up?  Low or medium height?
The choice of rings is going to come down to the scope. I'm not familiar with that one but as you can see for the pictures the DedNutz works best if the scope has a long tube. The Talley is a bit more flexable. A 42mm scope is going to be close with a low. See if you can find the outside diameter and we can figure it out.

TexSands View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 13:06
Here are the specs for the scope:

Specifications

Actual Magnification 3x-12x
Effective Objective Diameter 42mm
Exit Pupil (mm) 14.0-3.5
Eye Relief (in.) 4.0 -3.7
FOV at 100 yds (ft.) 33.6-8.4
Tube Diameter 1 in (25.4mm)
Objective O.D. (mm/in) 49.3/1.94
Eyepiece O.D. (mm/in) 44.0/1.73
Length (in) 13.1
Weight (oz) 18.7
Adjustment Graduation (1 click) 1/4 MOA
Max Internal Adjustment 60 MOA
Parallax setting (yds) 50 - ∞

It seems pretty compact for a 3-12x42.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 14:13
I'm going to give you generalities because the DedNutz lows are too close for me to call. If you go with the DedNutz low then make sure that you can return them just in case. The Talley lows are just too low. Mediums of either are a safe bet.

My calculator comes up with a theoretical minimum height of .470. However the taper of the barrel gives you roughly another .030 as a fudge factor.  Bottom line the DedNutz low may work but it will be close. The OD of the Burris scope in my picture with the DedNutz ring is 48mm (1.89"). As far as the length goes I think you'll be fine but again compare to the photo.

Your scope: (1.94-1)/2 = .470
My scope:    (1.89-1)/2 = .445

DedNutz heights:
  • Low, .437" to .500", average .469"
  • Medium, .562" to .625", average .594"
  • High, .687" to .750", average .719"

• Talley Heights:
  • Low, .400
  • Medium, .600

• Mounting lengths:
    Your Nikon
    Objective OD 42mm
    Length           13.1
    Eye relief        3.7-4

My Burris
    Objective OD 38mm
    Length          13.1
    Eye relief       3.6-4

Edited by sholling - June/18/2009 at 14:16

TexSands View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 14:24
    Thanks for your help!!!
    ccoker View Drop Down
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 14:55
    Here's my 308 T3 Stainless lite with a Weaver 2.5-10x56 and Talley mediums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic