OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber Montana 270wsm swarovski scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber Montana 270wsm swarovski scope
    Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:12
I need help. I just purchased a Kimber Montana 270wsm, Swarovski av3-10X42 scope and leupold
STD kimber 84 bases with STD medium rings. A kimber montana is built with the rear part of the 
receiver lower than the front part of the receiver. If you mount the bases, the scope, and the medium rings the scope sits at a slight angle with the front of the scope higher than the rear. It's
simply not level with the barrel. I've never claimed to be the smartest marksman. This can't be 
correct, Right?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:27
Not to worry the bases are made to compensate take a good measurement with a micrometer and you will see this. if this is not the case some how you received the wrong bases?

Edited by rifle looney - February/13/2009 at 20:28
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:31
Do you have the bases on correctly
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:40
The bases are definitely on correctly.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:42
Did you get the rings together as a matched set?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:43
Ok just for the sake of it measure the height of the bases are they the same or different?...we have to start somewhere and rule things out.
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:53
Rifle Looney, the bases measured at the thickest part are 3/8". Both, exactly. I purchased them today match set from cabelas. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:05
Do you have a picture of the set-up
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:08
I can take a picture of the set up. Can I post It here?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:11
OK I don't own a kimber but just looking at pictures it looks like the front ring is higher then the rear, therefor the bases should be of different height this is true on mauser actions as well as some others. I would say you have a missmathed pair of rings? one thing you can do is steady the gun some how ...vise/ gun craddle? level the gun check with a level and check that  the bases are the same? unless this is really apparent, then no need just send the rings back for replacement.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:11
If you have a photobucket account, yes. If not, and you want to e-mail them to me, let me know
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:14
This is all I can suggest hopefully Roy can set you straight. good luck and welcome to the OT.
                                                              Smile
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:14
Rifle Looney, Would it be ridiculous to think I would need a short ring on the front and a medium ring on the rear to level it out?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:19

Edited by 300S&W - February/13/2009 at 21:22
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:20
No this could be the case although Ive never come across that situation before. then you are really mixing stuff together. Guns and accessories are precision made every thing should go together and and function as such. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:23
If you can do what Roy said about the pics this would help? if you need assistance he is still on line.
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:28
Roy I would have to e-mail you the pic.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:30
Check your PM
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:33
  Check these out: Look at the recievers on both.

I believe you've got bases for an 84M Montana and you need bases for an 8400 Montana.

Edited by 300S&W - February/13/2009 at 21:36
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:35
I have a Kimber Montana, I used a one piece dead nutz rings and base set.  I'll have to take a look and see if the rear seems to be higher ?

Edited by lucytuma - February/13/2009 at 21:35
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic