OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New brass - full resize or neck only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New brass - full resize or neck only?
    Posted: February/16/2009 at 19:04

I'm just getting into reloading and have a bunch of stuff on order. I've been reading a lot of online articles and there's a bit of conflicting data - go figure.

On new brass cases it was suggested to size the neck only to get upwards of 10 cycles per case. And if the rounds are shot from the same firearm, future resizing can be limited to just the neck as well. Then my brother-in-law who's been reloading for 30 years says he lubes and does a full resize every time, trimming to length, and getting only a couple rounds per each case. He gave me a reloading book to read that's also 30 years old and he probably has never been on an internet forum.

Is the best procedure to fully resize and trim every case? Seems like if you start trimming case and removing brass, something's getting pretty thin somewhere - probably why he throws them away after 2 rounds. The article I read about sizing the neck only says you can get 10 pounds per cases this way. Any help in pointing me to the correct direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 19:12
Full length sizing you should get up to 12/20 reloads and will be more reliable cycling.. neck sizing should only be used if you only shoot this ammo in your own gun! and you can see a prolonged case life..I would full size always.

PS....get new reloading manuals?

Edited by rifle looney - February/16/2009 at 19:13
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 19:14
On brand new virgin brass, I fully resize on the first loading and for my rifles, I neck size from then on. Not sure why your brother in law is only getting two cycles on brass. Depending on the chambering and how hot you are loading, trimming shouldn't be necessary all that often. What I do on new brass, is to trim back about 5 thousands. Trimming also squares up the neck on virgin brass and once that is done you are good to go.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 19:24
New brass needs to be full length resized!!! I don't care who makes it. I just did some Lapua new brass in .308.  Brass is excellent, but I still ran them though a FL die and checked, trimmed and cleaned the inside of the neck to prep for loading.  The brass now will be only neck sized and trimmed when needed due to shooting this ammo ONLY out of MY bolt gun.
If your shooting this stuff out of an Auto loader like an AR you will have to Full length resize ever time.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 19:44
I've just neck size new brass.  I've never had a problem doing that.  The mouths of the new brass that I get always are dented somewhat.  I used to just run the expander ball through the neck to straighten out the mouths of the cases and not even neck size.  I never had a problem there either.  I FL resize everything after it's been shot, though.  I've tried neck sizing a few and some I've had difficulty chambering the round even though it was shot in the same gun.  I'm somewhat new to this reloading thing as well.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 20:00
tpcollins, one of the problems is that there is no set of definitions for the types of reloading, at least that I have seen.  So someone may say they are Full Length Resizing (FLR) when in fact they may be Neck Sizing (NS).  After several years and different forums the most common understanding of the different types of reloading are:

Neck Sizing (NS) - sizing all or part of the neck without sizing the shoulder or case body

Partial Full Length Resizing (PFLR) - sizing all the neck and all of the case body and leaving a slight contact at the shoulder

Full Length Resizing (FLR) - sizing all the neck and all the case body and pushing the shoulder back to where there is no contact at the shoulder

New cases are substantially smaller than most chambers and the shoulder has a long way to go to expand to fit the chamber.  I could give many example but let's just take a typical one, a factory 30-06.  These are measurements taken with a Hornady Headspace Gauge http://www.competitor.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=479704 which take a measurement from the case head to the datum point on the shoulder

New case shoulder position - 2.040"
Once fired shoulder position - 2.0485"

Now the brass has so much springback when it is new that a once fired case is still not tight in the chamber.  If you neck size you can get additional loadings while the brass is growing work hardened so that it will not springback enough, then it will become hard to chamber.  So neck sized you will get the following measurements

Twice fired shoulder position - 2.050"
Three times fired shoulder position - 2.0510" (slight crush fit)
Four times fired shoulder position - 2.0515" (crush fit)

When you get a crush fit then it is time to push the shoulder back.  You can then push it back far enough so there is no contact at the shoulder and that would be FLR, or you can push the shoulder back a minimal amount, say .001" or so, so that there is a slight contact at the shoulder and that would be PFLR.

On the smaller calibers it is possible to neck size forever since the leverage you have when closing the bolt just overpowers that small case, but on the larger calibers it can be very hard to close the bolt on a several times fired and only neck sized case.

So when you talk about a new case where the shoulder is set back from .005" to as much as .030" on belted magnums and the case body is also much smaller than chamber or die size, then you can set your die to FLR but your die will not do anything except contact the neck.  So to say you FLR new cases is not true, you would accomplish the same thing by taking a neck sizing die and truing up the necks with that.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 21:32
Now that's what I call an answer - too bad the link didn't work.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 22:32
Yeah, I forgot about that competitor thing here.  Anyway it is a link to M-I-D-W-A-Y for reloading equipment (not really something they sell here).  It is a red holder that attaches to your caliper and has a collet that your case fits into that hits on the shoulder shown here taking a reading on a new case

and a once fired case

Anyway, you have the most control over your case dimensions when you have reached the PFLR stage and can set your neck size, shoulder dimension and case dimension to the exact same size everytime with PFLR.  If you are neck sizing for the first few loadings then your shoulder is in flux and expanding a little more each time and if you are FLR then you have are not holding the case in stasis against your chamber, which will subject you more to the effects of runout.  When you are repeatedly PFLR'ing your case then you are containing case movement by binding it in the chamber between your bolt face and chamber shoulder and you are doing it exactly the same way everytime.

Consistancy is one of the most important factors in accuracy.

Edited by sakomato - February/16/2009 at 22:43
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 02:20
"... a couple of rounds for each case..." is a pretty serious indication that he is doing something wrong.

I use the Lee Collet dies for reloading.  They've worked just fine with both new and used cases when fired from only one rifle.  And yes, you can expect a shorter case life from a large magnum with full-house loads than from a regular .30-06.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 08:40
I always full length size all of my brass, but I also am a hunter and don't require the precission that many target/bench shooters require.  I also have rifles of the same caliber and want to make sure that they will cycle in all of my rifles.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 10:56
Quote    Consistancy is one of the most important factors in accuracy.

I've been loading for three yrs and still feel like a novice. That said, I offer this as testiment of where I am and for scrutiny for my learning sake. I mark my brass on the third load so I know not to use them for future accuracy rounds. I started doing that because once in a while out of the blue I would throw a round out of the group. I have a custom shooting bench that give great consistancy so when a round goes out side I know wether it was me or not. All that to say that when I started leaving those marked rounds in the box I have alot fewer throws. I'm now to the point that for the sake of consistant clover leafs or better I plan to start weighing each piece of brass before loading and picking some common standard to see if there is any noticable value. This is probably old news for some of you, but as stated I'm still learning. Now I'll kick myself in the shin, because buying the high dollar brass makes me sick I have resolved to what I like and that is Winchester brass. It is not beautiful brass but I can get consistant accuracy most of the time. Another reason I plan to check weight before loading.

So let the knowledge flow. Can anyone save me some time and back ache?
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 16:13
Weighng and segregating brass can certainly help accuracy. 

However, the quality standard for brass is a lot higher now than when I started reloading in the sixties.  Then, you could find a variance of up to 12 grains in the weight of .30-06 brass when comparing different boxes of ammo from the same manufacturer.

The latest brass I've purchased has usually varied no more than a couple of grains.

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 19:37
If you FLR all the time then you are much more subject to case head separations

When the firing pin slams into the back of the case it pushes the case forward till the case shoulder stops on the chamber shoulder (except belted magnums and we'll go into that in a minute).  The pressure then expands the case body to the chamber walls where it binds, then the pressure forces the case head back to the bolt face.  The case body thins at the pressure ring which is where the case body is still thin before it becomes solid at the case head

If you PFLR or NS fired cases and headspace on the shoulder it mitigates the thinning because the brass is in stasis with the case head against the bolt face since it can not be moved forward by the firing pin.  If you repeatedly create headspace by FLR then you are repeatedly thinning the case at the pressure ring and greatly increasing your chances of a case head separation and you are reducing your potential case life.  Also sizing more than absolutely necessary is working your case and will increase work hardening of your brass.

Sgt. D, do you anneal or check for runout?  Single flyers can be because of inconsistant bullet grip which annealing will help.  Also inconsistant seating depth will lead to a flyer and the easiest way to get inconsistant seating depth is because of different seating force needed to seat the bullet.  A seating depth change of as little as .003" can make a difference in POI especially if you are seating close to the lands.

I forgot about belted magnums.  The belt actually defines the headspace on belted magnums because the forward movement of the case in the chamber is stopped by the belt.  I have measured the forward movement permitted by the belt a couple of times (it is involved and more difficult than measuring gap at the shoulder) and even though there may be .020" to .030" gap at the shoulder on new cases, the belt only allows the case to move forward between .003" to .007" (on the 2 I measured).  So the forward movement is stopped by the belt and the pressure still pushes the shoulder forward to contact at the shoulder before the case body expands to grip the walls.  Then the thinning at the pressure ring happens anyway.

Edited by sakomato - February/17/2009 at 19:44
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 18:41
Sgt. D, do you anneal or check for runout?  Single flyers can be because of inconsistant bullet grip which annealing will help.  Also inconsistant seating depth will lead to a flyer and the easiest way to get inconsistant seating depth is because of different seating force needed to seat the bullet.  A seating depth change of as little as .003" can make a difference in POI especially if you are seating close to the lands.

No I haven't been because early on I was checking for runout (if runout means case strecth/thinning) and other variables that my mentor suggested I look for. After a number of checks, that was one of the factors that made me start marking the 3rd load. However I was not looking for excessive runout. Because in my limited experience I considered deburring a remedy. When loading the 4th and 5th time I run them thru the trim for good measure. I do not load more that 5 times. I am very particular about seating depth and I neck size new brass because I expect the first load to be premium. What indicator would I have of varying seating force if any? If OCL is consistant isn't that the final indicator?
I do seat just off the lands.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 20:03
Hey Sgt D, no, runout is the amount the case or bullet on a loaded round is out of round from the true axis of the case.  It is measured with a concentricity gauge such as the RCBS Casemaster

or the Sinclair version

there are other versions like NECO and Hornady is coming out with a new one this year where you can actually measure concentricity (runout) and fix it right there sorta like I do with my Bersin tool

If you have decent runout on your loaded cases in the <.003" range and you then have one that runs out to .008" or .010" then you will have a flyer.

Yes OCL or OAL is the final indicator but distance to the lands and seating depth is much more indicative of variances if measured on the ogive with a comparator, not on the bullet tip.  Next time you are seating and you seat one that seems to have greater resistance compare the seating depth and see if it changed.  If I feel the resistance I will check and usually the depth has backed out a few thousandths.  If one slides in a little easier then it will be seated a few thousandths deeper.

A few thousandths is not as critical if you are seating .020" off the lands or more.  The farther away the less critical complete 100% consistant seating depth becomes.  If you are trying to seat .005" off then you need to be 100%.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 20:50

It depends on what you are loading for. If it's a big rifle, there's usual no reason to full-length size new brass, even in a very accurate varmint rifle. In fact, with standard dies you may just pull the neck out of alignment with the body of the case, which means the seated bullet will almost surely be out of alignment.

New brass has the same dimensions as the brass in factory ammo. It will fit a little more losely in the chamber than fired and properly resized brass, but not much. In addition, ythe forming of new brass leaves the necks in very good alignment with the case body. The neck mouth may be out of round, due to bouncing around against other cases, but the basic alignment will be good.

This is why I normally just run new brass necks over the expander ball, instead of running them all the way into the die, whether a neck-sizing die or full-length die. This normally leaves them in much better alignment with the case body than running them all the way into a FL die.

How to size cases after the first firing is another question, and depends on the intended use (big game, varmints, targets, etc.)

Getting only two firings out of brass means something is seriously wrong. It casn be any number of things, including over-resizing or too-hot loads or not knowing how to set up the die properly. But even without annealing any centerfire rifle case should last at least 5 firings without problems.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 10:55
First of all, sakomoto has some really good advice in this posting (not the only one, but my experience jibes with his). I use the Hornady comparator as well and PFLR, but only after the first firing for my .308. I just don't think it's necessary with brand new Lapua brass and haven't noticed much difference in accuracy. The nice thing using the comparator is that you can keep your resizing to the minimum and avoid working the brass.

Things are totally different for my M1 rifle. That requires FL resizing every time. However, at this time I just save the brass for down the road and rarely reload it. I stocked up on HXP .30-06 from CMP and just can't reload for .25/rd. Nor is it worth it to me. I have a great barrel on that rifle but it will never be sub-MOA.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 16:30
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Hey Sgt D, no, runout is the amount the case or bullet on a loaded round is out of round from the true axis of the case.  It is measured with a concentricity gauge such as the RCBS Casemaster

or the Sinclair version

If you have decent runout on your loaded cases in the <.003" range and you then have one that runs out to .008" or .010" then you will have a flyer.

I find this alarming! If a fired case is out of round, doesn't that suggest that the chamber is causing it? I had always expected that a fired round would to some point become custom fit to the chamber. I was thinking that the sizing die was primarily for correcting neck deformation and brass nearing the end of its usefulness. If the chamber is a presicion bore how can this happen?

John added this, and makes me wonder now how far I am from where I want to be.

"How to size cases after the first firing is another question, and depends on the intended use" (big game, varmints, targets, etc.)

If you load for targets, wouldn't that cover all bases?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 16:35
I recently watch a video called "High power rifle reloading with David Tubbs"  IT was fantastic.  He goes through every step of making precision ammo and uses many different tools and explains the pros and cons of them all.  He spends a lot of time talking about these concentricity gauges and explains how brass curves and how to correct it. 

I would recommend it for anyone who wants to learn a few tricks.  http://gunvideo.com/pgroup_descrip/114/5519/
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 19:55
[QUOTE=John Barsness]
This is why I normally just run new brass necks over the expander ball, instead of running them all the way into the die, whether a neck-sizing die or full-length die. This normally leaves them in much better alignment with the case body than running them all the way into a FL die.

i don't know how to address this statement other than to say it is very incorrect. the expander ball is by far and away the worst culpurt for making ammo that's not straight. just running over the neck and not completely into the die would be the best way to make the necks crooked with the case body. personnally, i remove the expanders from my dies. you will make much straighter ammo. use an expander made for making the necks round, and then run them through a full length die. set the die so it only bumps the shoulder about .001 or so you can just feel a little resistance at the end of bolt travel when closing. now you have sized brass that will sit straight in the chamber but not be tight when closing the bolt.

someone mentioned weight sorting brass. it is a waste of time. it will do nothing to improve accuracy. it's a feel good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic