OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How Good Are Weaver Scopes Today?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Good Are Weaver Scopes Today?
    Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:20
I have been searching for a scope to put on fairly light 7mm-08 rifle.  I have a great deal of experience with Leupold especially with their fixed power 3X and 4X compacts; as I always liked small and light weight scopes.  I still have a 3X that works just fine but was considering something with a little more versatility.  I have hunted enough to know that in average field conditions, an honest 250 yards is a long shot for me.  In fact, I don't think that I will ever take any shots beyond that range.  Most of the foreign scopes appear to be a tad heavy for my taste.  I was leaning toward a VX II 2X7 Leupold but saw a Weaver V series 2X7 that was also light at 10 ounces.  I was also interested because of the price differance.  Does anyone know much about these scopes? Thanks for your help. 
Bill E.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:30
  I like Weaver scopes! I've got a few old steel tube scopes,2 GS's,and a Classic K2.5. Also had a Classic V9 but gave it to someone who needed it more than me. GOOD scopes!

Here's another VERY nice scope that most people who mention them get flamed on:

I've got one on a 7lb all up .30-06 and it's doing fine. Plus its got a moisture repellent on the lenses that works and GREAT eye relief. Just an option for ya.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:38
Both the new Weaver and Simmons scopes are very good scopes for the price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either for your intended use.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 10:54
I'm told that the early Japanese Simmons Prohunter was a pretty good scope. From first hand experience it's still surprisingly good for a Chinese scope. I own several of both and prefer the Weavers. I just have a sneaking feelings that a LOW built Weaver isn't going to break when I need it. I save the Prohunters for farting around at the range.

What I like a lot in your magnification range is the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. It's small and only weighs 13oz and is very sharp.

Edited by sholling - February/21/2009 at 10:56
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:11
The Japan made Weavers are good.I believe ATK owns them so you should be fine.Simmons AETEC is hit or miss. 
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:35

Another option in your magnification range is the Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2X7X32MM. I have one mounted on a 30-30 levergun I use for hog hunting. Very light(12 Oz) and durable and has the Rainguard coating which works well in the damp conditions  we hunt the big uglies. I think SWFA offers it for less than $200. I have also used Weaver Classic V scopes on  30-06  and 308 deer rifles with good success. Personally, the Bushnell Elites are hard to beat for the price.

oyeme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 18:36
Thanks to all for the professional input!! I think I have enough confidence now from what you'll said about Weaver and Simmons to make a choice.  As you could probably tell from my description of what I consider a long shot; I am a pragmatic hunter and shooter.  I have seen the trends in scopes over many years of ever more magnification and larger objective lenses.  IMO it all has to do with marketing and added profit margin.  Kind of like extra options on a car.  I save the big, super clear, high magnification scopes for the bench but in the field it is small, light and low magnification.  It's a system that has served me well for many decades.  Thanks again!
Bill E.
TominCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 16:08
My Nephew has the V 2x7 on his youth Rem 7-08. The scope is not as sharp as my VX-III which in turn is not as sharp as my Monarch which does not match up to my Z. Conquest. 

Now that all of that is out of the way I will also say that it is more than adequate for most all hunting situations. It holds zero, has good glass, adjusts accurately and is rugged enough to ride around in the pickup and bounce around on ATV's. That little scope is a real good deal! It is also a great size and lightweight with pretty good eye relief and field of view.

I also have a Weaver 1 x 3 on one of my AR's and while it does not do as well optically as the 1 x 4 Burris - It still does the job and does it well, at less than 1/2 the price.  I would buy one without hesitation!
Tom in CA
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 17:40
The recent ones I've used (Grand Slams) were quite nice for the money.  My only concern about Weaver would be whether or not I could get service down the road, should the need arise.  The brand has been bought and sold so many times, it concerns me a little.  At least ATK (who also owns Simmons, Redfield, Nitrex, Federal, CCI, Speer, Alliant, RCBS, and many other brands) seems to be a company more interested in establishing a reputation for quality than Meade was.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
oyeme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 10:14
Thanks for your perpective and experience on these value scopes.  I like the size, weight factor and I am also looking into the Simmons that was recommended.  As I said before, I have no complaints with Leupold and have used them for over 30 years but was looking for something comparable and at a better value.  Thanks again.   
Bill E.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic