OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 WSM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 WSM
    Posted: February/23/2009 at 23:51
What loads do you guys like for 300 WSM.   Are any of you shooting lighter loads like the 110 gr Horniday VMAX or 125 gr Nosler green tip for varmits?  I am looking for a light load for coyotes.  I have been loading 180 grain close to max but I'm thinking a lighter load would be a better choice out to say 300 yds max.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 00:04
Maybe it's not that way anymore, but my old man tried to load some 110gr. hollow points in his 300 win. once, and they came apart shortly after leaving the barrel. Maybe the v-max will take it, I don't know. Dad was pushing his at like 4000 fps though, he could have tried backing off, but just gave up instead. Let me know how you come out. I was thinking about loading 110gr. v-max out of my .270 wsm.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 02:13
May not be exactly lighter loads, but I`ve starting using these and they are accurate. Extremely accurate in my rifle and should slam your coyotes pretty darn well I`d say!

I`m developing some devestating hog loads in various Berger VLD weights and here are two I like so far beginning with the lightest.

From my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact; 16.5" barrel,,,,,,,,,

Berger VLD HP match (hunting) 155 grain........68.2 gr. IMR 4350 @ 3024 fps
Berger VLD HP match (hunting) 155 grain........59.8 gr. Varget @ 2967 fps

Add about 4.5% to your velocity if your barrel length is 24 inches

Check out the Berger site and watch the new VLD Match hunting bullet video!

Slam them coyotes!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 08:06
the problem is that the super light bullets will fall apart under tremendous speeds. i would tell you to use stuff no lighter than 150gr, unless barnes bullets of a lighter weight can be used.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 13:11
 For serious hunting loads I use H 4350 & 180 & 165 grn bullets. For some lighter loads I use H 4895 & 150 grn bullets.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 13:14
r-19 with 180gr sierra pro hunters made a nice little hole with 5 shots.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 18:50
I loaded some 125 gr Noslers with 62.5 gr Varget will have to see how those do.  Nosler book was saying 62 to max 66 gr Varget.  I also loaded a few  168 gr AMAX molly at the minimum load with IMR 4350 to see how those do. I got distracted from working on loads for the 300 WM when the O factor came up.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 21:03
Are you looking for a special coyote load? I have found that 180's from a .300 WSM kill coyotes pretty dead--and don't drift as much in the wind as lighter bullets. They also generally shoot extremely well.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 08:20
Richard Franlin in Virginia has been building a round called the 300Varminter. he specifically shoots the 125 BT and 110 V-max with a 300WSM. the main difference is he uses 15 twist barrels and very strong actions. he gets the 125's around 4000 and the 110's a little more. it's pretty much a "red mist" thing. have heard from a couple that have witnessed this gun in action say it is very impressive. most production guns have 10 twists and might limit the speeds but i would bet the 125BT would not come apart even out of a WM unless it had a rough bore.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 09:02
 125's at about 4 grand? IMPRESSIVE!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 09:38
can you say significant throat erosion??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 11:48
 Heck with it. They make new bbl's everyday.
Big Stick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:42
Re-19. 168A-Max for play,168X for tags.................
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:58
Since the rifle is a Winchester coyote lite in 300WSM with a 10x Super Sniper on it what I'm looking for is a light loaded   mid-weight bullet.  I'm not really looking to max out the velocity just reduce the recoil and muzzle blast while still having a cartridge that will roll a coyote.  I may settle in on the 168gr AMAX molly just a tad over the minimum load but I'm curious about how the 125 Noslers will do.  The weather turned back into crap while I was waiting for a scope to come in so I didnt make it to the range when we had nice weather the last 2 days.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:15
 Can't imagine a 125 Nosler run at a warmer- than- modest velocity wouldn't work just fine.
 They aren't going to fly apart until they hit coyote fur.
Relentless Pursuit View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Pursuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 18:24
'frnd,

The .308" 125BT's are fairly rugged little bastards,but have flight characteristics of a marble.

Lotsa ways to skin a cat,but I can't find arguement to curtail the practice of whistling a play bullet(168'Max),that dupes the flight characteristics of a tag bullet(168X). BC's jive nicely and in all my .30cal tubes they print in very close proximity,which is never a bad thing.

I shoot the combo pretty hard in my 700 s/a based 1-10" Hart and within your 'yote you'll have more COAL latitude than my HS DBM. Typically,Winchester gets throat/mag geometry right in their WSM's and that 3"+ box is nice to work with.

My Winny S/S Classic 300WSM was a pretty good machine too. (Top)

IMHO,the '68 melding is a great way to fly in WSM,unless you wanna shift gears,get ugly and start hammering dogs with the 155Scenar.

Not much hangs with it,for slipping wind and gobbling distance............... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic