OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Well, going with Victory 10x56 FL*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 13:19
Originally posted by Agustinmx Agustinmx wrote:

I think 3 pairs of binos it's ok but I'll be better with 2 binos and a spotting scope; so I'll choose a 10x42FL, and maybe 7x56FL and then I'll  go for the spotting. A Zeiss digiscope 20x60 60mm will be a dream......  

There is no Zeiss 7x56. There is an excellent 8x56.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

8x20
8x42
15x56

8x20: nice, but better make sure that you can hold steady such a small package. 
Some of those tiny things have very mushy hinges, making it difficult to hold the IPD steady, the focusers tend to be small, and sometimes are at the wrong end. I did like the Leica Ultravid, but not enough to spend $600, and they where nowhere near my EL 8x32. I got a really nice set of backpacks instead. Instead of getting a tiny glass to increase the chances of having binoculars with me, i got a few packs that make it easy and comfortable for me to carry my toys, increasing the chances of taking them with me. 

15x56: Does your Aflac cover injuries caused by these?Smile I went the route of a small 20x50 scope+light tripod instead.

The victims of my "get comfortable and use what feels best" are a Swarovski 80mm spotting scope and a Leica 10x42. They feel depressed and abandoned now.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 14:56
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

8x20
8x42
15x56

8x20: nice, but better make sure that you can hold steady such a small package. 
Some of those tiny things have very mushy hinges, making it difficult to hold the IPD steady, the focusers tend to be small, and sometimes are at the wrong end. I did like the Leica Ultravid, but not enough to spend $600, and they where nowhere near my EL 8x32. I got a really nice set of backpacks instead. Instead of getting a tiny glass to increase the chances of having binoculars with me, i got a few packs that make it easy and comfortable for me to carry my toys, increasing the chances of taking them with me. 

15x56: Does your Aflac cover injuries caused by these?Smile I went the route of a small 20x50 scope+light tripod instead.

The victims of my "get comfortable and use what feels best" are a Swarovski 80mm spotting scope and a Leica 10x42. They feel depressed and abandoned now.

20mm binoculars are definitely a specialty glass and most assuredly involve compromises (but then again, all optics do).  The thing is though, I carry binoculars EVERYWHERE.  No exceptions.  I have them at work, at church, at concerts, at the theater, at school functions, when I travel, at restaurants, etc.   I even have an 8x25 in my pocket right now as I type this. In some of these places backpacks, lumbar packs, and even briefcases don't fit in too well and so; even an 8x32 (though admittedly offering better optical performance) just is too big. 

15x56s are also specialty glass.  They would be used almost exclusively from a vehicle and with either a tripod or a window mount.   You can see alot of things with a 15x56 that you won't see with an 8x or a 10x glass.  It also is more comfortable, because both eyes are being used for viewing, than a spotting scope for long periods of glassing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not willing to give up my spotting scopes.  The question asked however, didn't say anything about them.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 14:56
do you think the 8x42fl's are much better than my el's??
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 14:57

I guess since 10x are sort of a mute point I'll keep the hgs ive got.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 16:54
Originally posted by haminator haminator wrote:

If you could have any 3 pairs of binos for different applications, price no object.  YOU MUST HAVE THREE no more or less what would they be???

If price is no object, then I'm assuming someone is giving me these binos for free rather than me buying them.  In that case, I would probably go for:

Nikon EDG 7X42
Leica Ultravid HD 8X32 (which I already own and wouldn't part with)
Zeiss Victory FL 10X56

That lineup would provide variety and each would fill a niche depending on the situation.

Of those 3, in all truthfulness, I would probably have the Leica 8X32 around my neck the most, since it's just so darn compact, light, and handy, yet produces an exceptional view on par with most premium full-size binos.  I'd use the Zeiss 10X56 for long range viewing from blinds in low light.  The Nikon EDG 7X42 is a leap of faith for me, and since I'm not paying for them anyway (my interpretation of a "price is no object" wishlist), or I'm so filthy rich it doesn't matter to me, I'm willing to believe the reviews and hype I've heard about them are totally true.  It would be in 7X42 because of the relaxed view offered by this configuration, but mainly because I don't already have a 7X binocular.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 17:54
I was looking at the leica 8x32s.  Have you compared them to others in class?  What do you like so much about them?  And yes its hypothetical.
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 17:55

Kind of the just im getting is that the 50plus obj isnt worth the weight for the performance diff to the 42s what do you think ted?

cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 19:47

I was looking at the leica 8x32s.  Have you compared them to others in class?  What do you like so much about them?  And yes its hypothetical.
I tried the 8x32 leica ultravid and can say that it is a great bino.  It is compact and optically great, and one day I will own a pair.  However, with my last purchase I went with full size larger exit pupil bino (7x42).  I could only afford 1 pair at that time.  I found there was noticable difference in low light performance and much larger FOV with the Zeiss 7x42 FL.  I also just enjoyed looking thru the 7x42 more.  It was just a more relaxed, comfortable field.  They were much more stable as well.  No one should question a choice of the 8x32 Leica ultavid if you are looking for a great compact glass. 
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 19:49

Kind of the just im getting is that the 50plus obj isnt worth the weight for the performance diff to the 42s what do you think ted?

It depends on the mag that you want.  In my opinion if you want 10 power you need 50 objective or higher.  I thought you said weight wasn't an issue.  Trust me it is when you are hunting.  Not only the weight but the bulk.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 06:09

Yes, and I've also compared them to some very good full size binos as well.  I posted a review here several months ago with details.  Look in the "Members Tests and Reviews" section of this forum for the review.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 06:16

Not to me personally, but each of us is different.  However, if I was going for 10X bins and wanted the best low light performance I could get as my first optical priority, I would get 50 or 56mm objectives.  I just wouldn't use them for general walking around use due to bulkiness.  They would be fantastic for stationary use in a blind/stand though.  I have a pair of 8X50's that I use for this very purpose.  I find that I pick up my 8X32's more than my 8X42's, 8X50's and 10X42's nowadays because they are so light and handy I almost forget they are hanging around my neck, and I find I really don't lose much performance vs. full size bins.

Edited by RifleDude - March/05/2009 at 06:18
Ted

haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 10:21
Yeah good point.  My wife and I hike alot and I really do enjoy lighter bino's for that.  I guess as often as I use my 10's the hg's are plenty good.  They are no shabby optic.  The picture deffinately compares to the alphas.  The fov sucks but ohh well, I already own them.   I didn't buy them at any thing close to retail.  Went to an estate sale in a suburb of detroit with a buddy of mine.  I didnt even want to go, he gave me $%^& till I said ok.  Long story short the 2 hour drive was worth it, paid 180$ I dont even know if they were used before I got them. 
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 13:10
ive got to hand the light gathering capability of these hg's though.  I was pest hunting last night and I could hear something out in the wood behind the house.  I had my airifle and I ran into the house and grabbed the 10x52s.  It was a bright moon, but too dark to see through the scope.  I watched a possum walk around for about 15 mins before he came into shooting range.  It deffinately wasnt like daylight through them but I was impressed that in moon light I could clearly see what it was from about 75 yards and in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic