OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Colt Police Positive 38 SPL $ ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colt Police Positive 38 SPL $ ???
    Posted: March/03/2009 at 16:36
Okay guys,  Need your help evaluating estimating  value of this heirloom.

Timing appears to be off in double action mode.  Force cone on back of barrrel is cracked and slightly flaired because of this.  Grip checkering is still very sharp.  Blueing is in pretty good shape except for the frame between the grips along back end.  Look her over boys.

I see that my son snuck it out and fired it some.  It has not been cleaned and the scratches on the cylinder lock are new.  I am gonna be tenderizing some rump roast this weekend when he comes home from college! Wink

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 16:43
Bud its hard too tell the worth but to someone ...it is still worth a bit. barrels are cheap. I think someone was pulling your leg in order to get a good deal I had a COLT trooper in 38 in rough cond. and still got $500.00 for it with out trying?

and the barrel price I was quoted $25-$50 on a S@W 2',4', 5'. obviously used that is.

Edited by rifle looney - March/03/2009 at 16:47
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 16:59
I spent some time on Gun-br0ker last night and determined by the handle design that it is a second issue.  I don't know alot about it.   It was grandpa's then dad's, now mine.  No paperwork and I doubt if its registered.  I know I didn't.  I am trying to decide if it is worth    the expense to repair it.  The cylinder binds on closure because of the barrel force cone being distorted.  once shut it is a pain to get open.  I am currently trying to determine the date of manufacture by S/N.   I will have to call COlt and see if they will give me a ROM on repair before I send it in.  Also I have to check into the legality of shpping it and whats required in PA.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:18
I am sure you can send it as long as it is going for repair or the manufacturer there are others who can do repair you just have to locate them I will look up some here in cali if you would like .
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I am sure you can send it as long as it is going for repair or the manufacturer there are others who can do repair you just have to locate them I will look up some here in cali if you would like .
I appreciate the offer RL.  Doesn't really make since to ship it cross country when Colt is a couple of states away.  Their website indicates that if it is defecetive parts they will fix it free.  I am not holding my breath on that one! LOL
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:53
WOW,

I just visited proof-house and they indicate this gun was made in 1925!  I had no idea it was that old!  Shocked

It has to be worth something!.  I thnik it is in pretty good shape especially for its age!!!

Edited by budperm - March/03/2009 at 17:55
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 19:31
I called my mom tonight to get a better history on the Colt.

According to her it was my great-grand Uncles' service revolver.  He was a Sheriff in a little Hick town in Georgia.  after he retired he gave it to my father when Dad was in Bolls Military Academy for Hi School.  It was during rapid fire target practice that the 1st barrel became jambed with 3 bullets.  It is amazing it did not explode!
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 19:41
B UD i KNOW IT IS A LONG SHOT BUT WHEN YOU TALK TO COLT ASK THEM TO DO A CHECK THEY CAN TELL YOU WHERE THAT GUN WAS SHIPPED TO ...IE...DEPARTMENT ...STATION..ECT AND IF YOU GET PAPER WOK ON IT WOOOHOOO!   THEY MIGHT CHARGE YOU FOR DOING SO BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 20:13
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

B UD i KNOW IT IS A LONG SHOT BUT WHEN YOU TALK TO COLT ASK THEM TO DO A CHECK THEY CAN TELL YOU WHERE THAT GUN WAS SHIPPED TO ...IE...DEPARTMENT ...STATION..ECT AND IF YOU GET PAPER WOK ON IT WOOOHOOO!   THEY MIGHT CHARGE YOU FOR DOING SO BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

According to the Colt website it will cost me $75.00 to roll the dice for an archive search.  I might spring for it depending on repair cost.  Things are pretty tight right now.

I am going to call Colt CS tomorrow.
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic