OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Refurbished Nikon Warranty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refurbished Nikon Warranty
    Posted: March/05/2009 at 13:15

I have been lurking around here for a while as I am in the market for a new scope, actually for several of them.  I have a number of rifles that don't have a decent scope mounted.    Most of the scopes I own are older Redfields, Weavers and some european stuff (Kahles, Hensoldt, Nickel, etc.).  I like older guns but appreciate the better optics.  Based on what I have read on here, that optics have improved substantially in the last few years,  I should be able to get better optics than what I have now for a resonable price. 

I recenlty bought a used 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch.  It seems like a decent scope so I may be interested in something similar.  I looked on the Sample List and see that "refurbished" Nikons only have a 90 day warranty while those purchased "new" have a lifetime warranty.  It would seem that this policy would harm the resale value of Nikon scopes as opposed to those with more liberal warranty policies.  Based on this I have several questions.

1.  How does one tell if a scope is refurbished?  I can't see any special marks on the Monarch I bought.

2.  How much is repair work if the scope is not waranteed?  I know this is a loaded question but some manufacturers have a flat fee.

3.  Doesn't this appear to reflect a lack of faith in Nikon's own product?

4.  It appears that Nikon must replace scopes so what sort of warranty does the replaced scope have?

OK that's enough for now.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Nikon or their products it just strikes me as a strange policy.

Thanks, 
Ike
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:45
The Refurbscope's are placed in boxes with refurbished written on it and the serial numbers are documented by Nikon that said model was sold AS A REFURB.Nikon does high volume on scopes and a vast majority are sold on the internet at closeout prices.Some are dealer leftovers like demo models,with slight blemishes like ring marks.The company gives a lifetime on new but the refurbs are only 90 days.The company feels that a consumer pays a msrp on a scope that a lifetime warranty would cover the expense paid for the lifetime of the scope.When a customer buys a REFURB he gets only the 90 day.Some of the refurbs are new with no problems and your getting a good deal on a Nikon.By the way if your planning on buying a Nikon the best kept secret is the Team Primos.It's a Monarch for $50 cheaper.    
iwilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 06:34
Thanks Hunter12345, I guess that means that you have to discount used Nikons accordingly if you don't know their pedigree.

Ike
Ike
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:36
Welcome to Optics Talk, Ike.

I'm happy with my Prostaff Nifurb. 
If it goes TU, I'm still sending it to Nikon to fix, even though I've owned it for about a year.  
I'll let them figure it out if it's a "refurb" or not, I just want the damn thing fixed.
That 90 day, refurb warranty is BS!!    

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic