OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for Bud's new 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for Bud's new 308
    Posted: March/12/2009 at 22:06
Well, here we go again.  Just couldn't pass up the Reed's sale on Browning A-Bolt Medallions Pyro listed.  Bought a Medallion in 308 and its already in transit.  I should have it by the 16th. Yippee  The timing was terrible financially, but hey thats what plastic is for right?  I have the Simmons Blazer 3-9X40 off my Savage 270Win.  Thought I would start with that and see it it will hold zero on a 308 when it wouldn't on a 270. 

I am quite impressed with Reed's Family Outfitters.  Next day order processing and shipping on out of state order.  Also, no surcharge for using CC to purchase firearm! Excellent

Anyway the budget is non-existant for at least 3 months.  I want to stay in the $200-300 range for a better scope for it.   Was toying with the idea of a Team Primos 3-9X40 off the samplelist.  That bang for the buck is hard to beat!

You guys have any suggestions?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 22:21
Great value on the Team Primos, even though I`m not a BDC fan.

But for your 308 Medallion, I like the 2.5-8x32 Nikon Monarch better, which is still under your $300 budget.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 22:52
Bud that is a classy rifle let it sit for a while I know it's hard but that gun needs a nice scope save up some coin and do it good I love my 2x7x36 KAHLES on my 308 look at  the VXIII 2.5-8x36 or the something in 3x9x40 sample list dude if you can spend $200/$300  now, just wait and get one later another $100 will get you in the game in more than one way!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 02:23
Funny I was thinking Trijicon accupoint all the way up until I ran into reality.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 05:56
I agree, if you can wait a month or two rather do so. The rifle begs for a nice classy scope. Maybe something like a Leupold VX11 or Bushnell. The Kahles would be grand too.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 06:29
Boy did UIF hit the nail on the head or what!!!  Wes, you must have a cystal ball!  Talk about getting my parade rained on.....

I got into work this morning and waiting for me are 2 corporate cost cutting announcements.

Across the board salary reductions and discontinuance of corporate matching on 401K and Supplimental retirement savings.  (pension plans were stopped 2 yrs ago)  OUCH!!!

At least they decided to sell one of the corporate jets!
Executive pay cut 10% rest of us 5%.  Salaries had been frozen for 2 years already unless promoted.

looks like the time frame for a fancy scope just got extended a bit!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Bud that is a classy rifle let it sit for a while I know it's hard but that gun needs a nice scope save up some coin and do it good I love my 2x7x36 KAHLES on my 308 look at  the VXIII 2.5-8x36 or the something in 3x9x40 sample list dude if you can spend $200/$300  now, just wait and get one later another $100 will get you in the game in more than one way!

Man, a Kahles sounds just about right!  Long as I am dreaming...
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 06:38
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I agree, if you can wait a month or two rather do so. The rifle begs for a nice classy scope. Maybe something like a Leupold VX11 or Bushnell. The Kahles would be grand too.

Which Bushnell are you referring to 8s?

One of the things I would like to do is get scopes with different reticles, BDC, Mil-Dot etc.  Since I only have experience with my 4200 with standard fine crosshairs.  I like it but it has no distances reference marks.   More fun learning and trying different reticles!!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 06:46
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Bud that is a classy rifle let it sit for a while 

You know that that ain't gonna happen, LOL 
Pretty guns are like pretty women!
They make me hard just holding them! Clown

The idea of waiting is cruel and unusual punishment in the extreme! Shocked
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 07:06
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Which Bushnell are you referring to 8s?

One of the things I would like to do is get scopes with different reticles, BDC, Mil-Dot etc.  Since I only have experience with my 4200 with standard fine crosshairs.  I like it but it has no distances reference marks.   More fun learning and trying different reticles!!

If you are looking for a different reticule, forget the Bushnell.
Have a look at this:

LEU61275 Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II Riflescope                                                                                         Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $359.95
More Info...
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:32
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Boy did UIF hit the nail on the head or what!!!  Wes, you must have a cystal ball!  Talk about getting my parade rained on.....

I got into work this morning and waiting for me are 2 corporate cost cutting announcements.

Across the board salary reductions and discontinuance of corporate matching on 401K and Supplimental retirement savings.  (pension plans were stopped 2 yrs ago)  OUCH!!!

At least they decided to sell one of the corporate jets!
Executive pay cut 10% rest of us 5%.  Salaries had been frozen for 2 years already unless promoted.

looks like the time frame for a fancy scope just got extended a bit!

You are lucky Bud. Usually I get news like this right after I spend $1000 for a scope, not before.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:33
What kind of load do you plan to shoot through the .308?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 10:06
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

What kind of load do you plan to shoot through the .308?

TBD... RL favors 46gr Varget w/ 150gr GKs or Nosler BTs.

Of course I have to find out what she likes 1st!
--Thomas Jefferson

BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 11:48
I have the VXlll 2.5-8x36mm on my 308 and I like setup, but I also have a burris ff2 2-7x35 that is not a bad scope for the money ( under $200). I bought it for a 30-30 but just like open sights on it. I have it on a 444 marlin now and after a few boxes of leverevolutions it had held zero fine. it is not as clear as the leupold but has been a good scope.
We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 12:24
You should be able to find a good $200 scope on web since your strapped for cash.I've seen many good deals on new Nikons Team Primos.The Sightron SII is a great deal.Bushnell Elite 3200 is under $200.Any of these scopes should do the job. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 16:48
SI39X40MD Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope                                                                                           Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Thunbs Up
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $119.95
More Info... Buy Now
SI2510X44 New Sightron 2.5-10x44 SI Riflescope                                                                                    New Sightron 2.5-10x44 SI Riflescope Thunbs Up
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $169.95
More Info... Buy Now
733946 Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope                                                                                      Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $99.95
More Info... Buy Now
731642M Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
734124B New Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope                                                                                  New Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC Ret

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 16:54
Hell Bud, you put the gun on plastic, might as well add the scope to the card.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 16:59
What about a Nikon Buskmaster? I don't hear many people recommending these scopes but I found the one I have to be a very nice scope for the price....

Edited by Monster - March/13/2009 at 16:59
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 18:44
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Hell Bud, you put the gun on plastic, might as well add the scope to the card.

You and my inner-devil would get along real well!  LOL

Remember. I did this before I found out about the 5% pay cut!

Edited by budperm - March/13/2009 at 18:45
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 18:49
Man, I never realized there are so many different reticles
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic