OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VOLQUARTSEN 10/22 DELUXE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOLQUARTSEN 10/22 DELUXE
    Posted: March/17/2009 at 21:17
I just picked up a Volquartsen 10/22 Delux S.S.fluted barrel, only,20 inches long including comp.,39inch oal.,black McMillan stock w/studs,includes Warne quick release 1 inch scope rings mounted on two piece 3/8 dovetail rails to reciever,should be a nice shooter.....

So my question is what scope for.....
Plinking/target(100-150 yards max).
Some small game fun.
Budget......$400
So far i like....
Zeiss Conquest Riflescope 1.8-5.5X38MM ($299.99)

Leupold® Rimfire Riflescope  2-7X28MM ($199.99)

Feel free to add to the mix!

I'm classic shag nasty type.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 23:18
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 08:35
both the 3x9 efr and 6.5x20 efr are better scopes for the 22lr. If you are trying to get to 100 and 200 yds with consistent hits you will need something with target turret and use subsonic ammo. a 3.5x10 leo v3 with ao will focus down to 30 yds and is a good pick if 6x20 is too much. if you use subsonic your bolt spring will need to be changed. The 22 is demanding at the extra yardages and some type of holdover reticle also works well. If you don't use a holdover the need to dial is even more important.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 10:06

Leupold 3-9x33 EFR fits my price line.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 18:37
Nice rifle, Joe!  I think the 3-9X33 EFR would do nicely.

I too have a tricked out Volquartsen 10/22 that's spooky accurate!  Mine has their VX-5000 stock, "snake" fluted barrel, and Kidd match trigger assy.  It wears a previous gen Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 AO w/ fine crosshair.  It shoots about as good as one could ever expect from a semiauto .22. 

I predict you'll love it!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 19:10
I have the standard Volquartsen with a 3-9X33 EFR. And yes it is very accurate. The only issue I have with the 3-9X33 is that it has the coin slot for W/E adjustment. I am not real fond of that. But that can be changed at the Leo custom shop for about $100 and shipping.

Another option that I have been concidering is going with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40. Better glass, focuses down to 10yds, more magnification for longer shoots and does not have the coin slot W/E adjustments.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Another option that I have been concidering is going with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40.

Good call!  I had forgotten about that one.

Another option to consider might be the Nikon 3-12X42 w/ side focus, though its focus doesn't go below 50 yds.  That just makes it no different than a typical 50 yd parallax "rimfire" scope without SF / AO, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 19:41
I like # 2 Dale.....Thunbs Up
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 22:38
Don't waste any money! Just put a 4.5-14 Conquest on it, and ship it to me for testing!!Big Smile
I'll send it back when it's about wore out. I have nothing usefull to add here.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 07:11
no.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 07:11
the side ao conquest 4.5x1x50 with the 800 Zplex would be a very good choice, although it cost much more than the v3 leos, one could recalibrate the reticle for the 22 ballistic curve and just use the hold overs instead of dialing in. the 3.5x10 front or side ao leo works well for dial in as it has 1/4 clicks already, saving the cost of sending back to leo.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 07:59
That would be an awesome scope for his VQ, and the Rapid Z reticle would be fun to play with on a .22.  I considered recommending it, but it far exceeds his $400 budget.
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 08:04
Ted , your auto is as accurate as  any good bolt -- what brands did you find most accurate?? Do you see a difference between standard velocity lead and the other stuff?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 10:26
The only spare scope i have is a Leupold 4.5-14x40 Boone & crockett

Edited by Average Joe - March/19/2009 at 10:36
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 14:44

does it have the ao?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 15:08
ao?......................Adjustable Objective if so yes
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 18:03
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Ted , your auto is as accurate as  any good bolt -- what brands did you find most accurate?? Do you see a difference between standard velocity lead and the other stuff?

Unfortunately, it likes the most expensive match ammo best.  It seems to like the Fed Gold Metal match (# UM22) better than anything, but it also likes Eley Tenex really well too.  It shoots pretty good with CCI Green Tag as well.  So, it prefers the subsonic loads to the standard velocity loads.  With the first 2, my shots are all touching, with groups in the .2's at 50 yds, but it seems I have to clean the bore really well first before switching ammo and let the barrel "season" with whatever I'm shooting.  Eley seems to have some sort of lube on the bullets that evidently has to coat the bore evenly before it really starts shooting.  I still get the typical first round flier every now and then that seems common with autos.  I don't think this rifle would quite be competitive with true benchrest bolt action .22's over a long string of aggs, but it ain't far behind them.

The standard velocity ammo shoots o.k. too, but nowhere near what the match ammo will do.  Believe it or not, the cheap silver box Winchester Power Point std velocity ammo shoots pretty good in not only this rifle, but my other .22s as well.
Ted

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 20:22
That's a very-very nice rifle! I'm a bit of a 22LR nut and I think you'll find 150yds doable but very-very challenging with the bullet drop and wind. I do most of my target shooting is at 50m and my plinking out to 100m. My favorite target scope for a 22 is the Weaver V24 with Varmint-Plex reticle. It's absolute perfection for precision target shooting at 50-100m, but the magnification is a bit much for hunting. A great compromise would be a V16 with a Dual-X reticle. Dial it back to 4x for quick shots, and out to 16x for precision target shooting.

This is the V24 mounted to a 10/22 with a 18.5" Volquartsen THM Carbon Fiber barrel, VQ trigger assembly, and CPC bolt, sitting in a Boyd's Barracuda stock. She shoots single ragged hole 10rd groups at 50m with Wolf Match Extra...

This is my Anschutz MPR sporting a Weaver T24 so you can see that I take the quality of Weaver optics seriously...

Edited by sholling - March/20/2009 at 01:29
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic