OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping the SOCOM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping the SOCOM
    Posted: March/22/2009 at 14:34
   I bought a SOCOM 16 a few years ago, great gun, but the tritium front sight broke in half on the third magazine fired! Springfield Armory replaced it promptly (with 2 sights, nice work). This is a carry gun and I thought an Aimpoint in a quick release mount would be perfect...use the dot and if there are problems, dump it and use the irons.
   The problem was most mounts were too high for comfort (no cheek weld). I couldn't find a solution on the Net.
   Finally, I tried a Warne quick release Low mount. Problem solved, and rather inexpensively ($59.95 for a pair of mounts...you only need one). The Aimpoint ML3 sits right down on the rail and the dot floats just above the front sight with a decent cheekweld.
   There are some smaller and lower red dots out there that would work, but I didn't want to spend another few hundred when I had the ML3 already in hand. Haven't tested the zero repeatablity yet, but that would be a huge bonus. Hope this .02 helps.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 14:38
Welcome to Optics Talk!

Great first post! Do you have any pics of this setup?
I'm an Aimpoint whore. Big Grin 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 14:48
I have a SOCOM and have been searching for the perfect optic for a few years now.  I started with Aimpoint, went to magnified scopes (Millett for awhile), and am considering whether I want to get a Trijicon Accupoint or just go back to Aimpoint.

Aimpoint ain't as precise as I would like at 300+ yards, but is servicable.

Scoping that thing is a pain in the ass.  If you decide to go with a magnifying scope, you will probably need a cheelkk peice, I recommend Karsten's, he makes good stuff.

Good luck, send pics of what you have.  I'll try to dig up my pics.

Does your top rail go all the way back behind the ejection port to the clip guide?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
43Sniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 14:51
   I am, too. No pics, and I am kind of illiterate when it comes to posting on blogs, but I'll try to get it done (I'll have my kids help!)
   I have an earlier ML3 on my AR in a quick release scout mount / spacer (purchased thru SWFA) and it works great...the Aimpoint is rugged and the zero repeatablity is spot on.
   I also have an M1A Squad Scout with a 2X Leopold Scout scope in quick release Warne rings. It's outstanding also, but the SOCOM/Aimpoint is shorter and a bit faster.
43Sniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 15:04
 The rail is mounted way forward of the action on the SOCOM and Scout. The rear of the Leopold scout scope is also forward of the action. I have not tried to scope the full size M1A, but have seen many and most mounts do go over the action. This also raises the height, requiring an add on cheek piece for the stock.
   I agree the Aimpoint dot is a little glittery and not as "flat" or precise as some others. The Burris red dot is nice and clean and they make good stuff, but I like the Aimpoint for it's extremely long battery life and ruggedness. The SOCOM for me is a short range fighter, but I'll be testing it at 200-300 yards next time out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 17:12
Just asking because the new SOCOMs have, as an option, a rail that runs all the way back to the clip guide, and I wish I had that rail.

Mounting something over the action bothers me - though the rifle functions fine.

Here was my setup with Larue, it worked fine.  I am now considering an Accupoint 1-4 or possibly a US Optics SN4 with long eye relief - or maybe a Nightforce 1--4.

And yes, I did have to mount a cheek piece to get good weld, given that the optic is so high up there.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 18:26
LEU58810 Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope                                                                                        Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $279.95
More Info...
200269 Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope                                                                                              Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $249.95
More Info... Buy Now
What do you guys think of these scout scopes for the SOCOM with forward rail

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 18:38
I wonder how the new T1, with it's low mount would work on a M1A receiver?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 21:08
If I put a forward scope on, I'd like it to be variable.

This rifle is primarily used for hog hunting and the need for quick and accurate shots is most important.

Anyone know anything about the Burris, good or bad?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 21:08

I think the T1 would be good up front on the scout or socom but I have worried about the battery it uses being long enough life.  I've been thinking Comp M4s with the spacer removed would be a good choice or possibly the 9000SC 2moa with two low 30mm rings but the batteries are hard to come bye but they do last well eaven in the cold.

11417 Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $373.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 21:21

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 03:00
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I think the T1 would be good up front on the scout or socom but I have worried about the battery it uses being long enough life. 

Battery life?!?! Long enough??!!  Shocked
50,000 hours or 5 years of constant use not enough for you, Brother?   
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 09:52

I thought it used one of those coin type which battery does it use is it the same as the other aimpoints?

10315 Aimpoint / Leupold Battery                                                                                              Aimpoint / Leupold Battery
  • Sanyo Extra Battery, 1/3N
  • 3 Volt Lithium
  • Works with any Aimpoint and illuminated Leupold scope
SWFA: $4.95
More Info... Buy Now

My understanding is the coin type like the 2032 go dead in the cold really quick. Winter here is what might kill them the little 3 volt above have  held up but they are hard to find compared to a AA.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/23/2009 at 10:34

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic