OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is a 56mm scope worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a 56mm scope worth it?
    Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:04
Loco Ok, the gears are turning and smoke is slowly seaping out my ears.

I'm in the market for a specialty scope. It's going on a long range "bean field" type rifle to shoot deer at medium/long range.

The delima is which size scope to buy. I've got the brand and model picked out but they make it with a 50mm and 56mm objective. Of coarse the 50mm is the one I want because it's not as bulky but, this is a specialty rig desined for one purpose and I'm not going to be carrying it around much. I think I can learn to like a 56mm scope IF there much benifit to it. So there is my question. Is the 56mm scope that much brighter than a 50mm? And, is the extra bulk worth the extra light transmission?

Thanks,
Terry
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:08
I don't know.  But if I had a beanfield rifle that I was going to use while sitting and not climbing mountains, I would get one.  What the heck.  If weight is not an issue, and if high mounts is not a concern, I'm sure a real fabulous 56mm scope would probably be very bright.  You can just use another rifle when you are running around mountaintops.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
TerryC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:10
Forgive the terrible grammer Ying Yang
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:16
Your talking about a 2oz weight difference with a 50mm and 56mm objective.The 56mm scopes I have were indeed brighter than the 50mm scopes.You just have to remember you need extra high rings for the 56mm.I just bought 2 Weaver Classic Extremes on closeouts to see how they compare to my other scopes.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:19
The 56mm sounds great for low light conditions!! How's your rifle's cheek weld??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 16:25
It all comes down to the scope and the coatings for that line.  The coatings make for more differance than 6mm.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 17:47
I mentioned cheek weld because the scope will probably be sitting higher than say a 40mm - 50mm. For me, I find long distance consistency while hunting may suffer some if I don't get a good cheek rest so I might shy away from a 56mm scope.

Some on the other hand love the 56mm especially when hunting hogs in low light/night time conditions which I think is really cool!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:01
Perhaps only a slight amount............................

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:02
Excellent
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:04
Texas Sheep Rifle...................
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:08
Nice cheek weld. Wink

Sweet rifle!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:12
I hope you don't think that train wreck is mine.................what a POS
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:18
Roy, that aint no damn Remington .....Wink

Edited by rifle looney - March/24/2009 at 18:18
TerryC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:17
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Perhaps only a slight amount............................

Yea, I've seen that one before. That's a 72mm objective Zeiss! It's a little different than a 56mm. The donuts on the barrel are a hoot.

The cheek weld is something I really haven't considered and don't know about. I've got a stock on order from McMillan so I won't know until they deliver.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:24
The "donut" on the barrel is the Limbsaver Barrel Deresonator... works the similar to the Browning Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:34

Why?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:45
I think it all depends on the intent for the rifle it's to be mounted on.  I'm not a fan of 56mm objectives (and in some cases, even 50mm) in general, but I do realize they have their use.  My personal objection to huge objectives isn't really about additional weight either.  For me, I just don't like my scope to be significantly wider than the rifle's forearm, when looking down from above or below.  This is partially an aesthetic consideration, partly a mount height and cheek weld consideration, as well as a scope & mount system rigidity consideration.  Having the objective bell wider than the rifle itself means that the bell dictates how well the rifle will fit inside a scabbard or case, and can cause undue wear on the objective bell finish.  Lean the rifle up against something and it tends to want to roll onto the objective bell, especially if a huge scope makes the rifle top heavy.

HOWEVER, I have a 56mm scope on a rifle with adjustable cheekpiece that I only shoot from a bench or bipod, and in that application, it isn't at all a hindrance.  If I planned to use the rifle for the purpose specified in this thread, I can see the value of gaining that little extra low light performance at higher magnifications a 56mm scope offers.  Whether or not 56mm really makes a difference vs. 50mm depends on the magnification setting you really use most of the time.  IMO, having a 56mm objective doesn't make a huge difference vs. 50mm to my eyes on a scope topping out at no more than 10X.  Beyond that, and the larger objective does start to make a difference to me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:32
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Why?

Why, what? Why do I call it a train wreck or a POS. I honestly don't know what someone would use that rig for. Deer hunting? Long rang shooting? I can think of so many more practical and efficient applications for both.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:34
    Ahhhhhh, the mythical, magical, can't-shoot-well-without-it "......cheek weld". Love

Too funny. Wink   -Al
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:48
quality glass in 40-45mm will do 99.9% of the 56mm stuff in the dark and 100% of it in legal hours for deer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic