OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is a 56mm scope worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:52
Taz will play...

Al, are you saying, perchance, that perhaps the mystical "cheek weld" obsession is overstated and that perhaps one can shoot, and shoot well, without a scope mounted a dollar bill's width from the barrel????  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:52
The short answer to your question is NO it's not worth it!!!  Al, cheek weld is an issue for long range hunting shots like a bean field so it does have reliance.  but many other things matter as much or more.  Like actually knowing your rifle and the ammo's ballistic characteristics.  

Edited by Steelbenz - March/24/2009 at 20:53
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:58
If its truly a beanfield / deer stand rifle that you aren't going to tote around then go for it. The 56's really shine when shooting in low light with the scope set at the higher magnification settings. I wouldn't worry about the extra height of the scope either. You see a lot of guns with 50mm scopes mounted on them with extra high rings that would probably work with a 56. It's personal preference. I have a 2.5-10X56 mounted on a Rem Sendero and its a critter gitter so long as you don't have to tote it very far from the truck to the stand.
RK
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:59
I'd say if you want to put in the time and you want a long-range tack driver, 56mm is good, especially if it will be a high-magnifications cope (>15X.)

It would be a special-purpose scope and rifle, which I think you mentioned it would be.

My advice, since you asked, would be to set it up as a benchrest gun, shooting into the field in the off season, learn the distances and the dope for the shots during the season.

Personally, I like big objectives on long-range guns.  So long as I ain't stalking with it or worrying about banging it on something or worrying about the weight, build a huge, hulking bohemoth that will hit coke cans at 600 yards, there is little more gratifying than a perfect long-range hit.

But maybe it's just me.

And for the record: I own no 72mm objective scopes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:05
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Al, are you saying, perchance, that perhaps the mystical "cheek weld" obsession is overstated and that perhaps one can shoot, and shoot well, without a scope mounted a dollar bill's width from the barrel????  

Yessir. Smile   -Al
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:06
I don't either... BUT I WANT a Hensoldt 6-24x72 SAM.  WHY, you might ask... because it exists. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:08
Al, I know you have little trigger time to back up your feelings...................grin
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:08
Originally posted by Al Nyhus Al Nyhus wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Yessir. Smile   -Al
Agree.  

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:11
I'm sorry to disagree but thirty years of shooting tell me otherwise! Scope or steel, at long ranges consistent cheek weld is important. 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:14
There are many more factors also but the basic building blocks of a good shot comes from consistent sight alignment and good fundamentals.

Edited: Fingers don't want to do as there told tonight!!   LOL

Edited by Steelbenz - March/24/2009 at 21:18
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:20
I don't think cheek weld is essential for accurate shooting, but it is better when the configuration of your rifle allows you to settle into a familiar form, in the same way that a pistol that better fits your grip helps you to shoot it better.  Everything that aids the shooter in repeating the same form ultimately results in greater accuracy.  Also, a rifle is faster to aim quickly at moving game when the scope instinctively lines up with the eye without having to reposition the head after shouldering.

But then again, this didn't apply the stated purpose of the rifle in question, where I think a 56mm scope is a fine choice.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:26
But  his question was, is it WORTH it?  I think he can get just as much bang for his buck in a 50mm as compared to a 56mm. I just don't think most peoples eyes are going to be able to notice the difference. 
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:29
I just got in on this thread. To answer the o.p.'s question, yes there is a slight difference in performance between 50 and 56mm. If you are going to be using the scope for extreme dusk conditions, go with the 56. If dim light performance is not that big a deal, go with the 50 or even smaller. This difference is only if your comparing like-branded scopes within the same model.Ex; Nikon Monarch 50 vs Monarch 56.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:37
Derek, We didn't get to the BJCC until 11.  Did you see how many guys fit the description you gave me. Derek? No! Derek? No Derek? No! 

Edited by Steelbenz - March/24/2009 at 21:37
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:44
   I recently had a chance to compare two new 5.5X22 scopes side-by-side....one a 50mm and the other a 56mm objective.

In bright sunlight, I couldn't tell any difference. In overcast and low light conditions, the 56mm was brighter. Not by a lot.....I'd hate to have to live off the difference.  

Though the overall optical quality was pretty ho-hum.  Disappointing, actually..... Sad -Al

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:47
Originally posted by Al Nyhus Al Nyhus wrote:

I recently had a chance to compare two new 5.5X22 scopes side-by-side....one a 50mm and the other a 56mm objective.

Did the brand in question happen to start with an "N" by chance, Al?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:48
But would it have given you a shot when the 50mm would not have? 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:48
So we have to guess what kind they were????   What a tease...

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:52
Let's say you had the 56mm on 10X and got 5.6mm of light transmission.  The 50mm at 9X is giving you 5.5mm of light transmission and your still not missing the shot. That extra 1X is not going to be a shot buster.  Just my thinking.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:55
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Did the brand in question happen to start with an "N" by chance, Al?

Unfortunately, it did.  These two NSX's were simply not in the same league as the BR series scopes...despite claims that there are no differences in optical quality between the series.

Maybe it was a fluke? But two of 'em?

Not dissin'....just wonderin'.   -Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic