OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Millett TRS scopes, any good?  Whats your opinion?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett TRS scopes, any good? Whats your opinion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefdp1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett TRS scopes, any good? Whats your opinion?
    Posted: March/29/2009 at 01:43
Considering the Millett TRS 4-16X50 Mil-Dot.  Any input will be welcome.  Thanks!
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 18:01
Originally posted by fivefdp1010 fivefdp1010 wrote:

Considering the Millett TRS 4-16X50 Mil-Dot.  Any input will be welcome.  Thanks!

I wasn't too impressed with the one I tested, but some folks like them, I recon.  
I'd recommend going with a Super Sniper for static target shooting and be done with it.    
Nokturnaldoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokturnaldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 20:43
Millett..Ya I have Millett, In fact I have a Millett scope on just about every rifle I own. I love the Millett Buck Gold series rifle scope in the 6x25x56 30mm tube,Duplex crosshair. The Target turrets are a great feature and these scopes come with a 4"sunshade. I have been buying these scopes for quite some time now and I have never had to send one in for any warranty work. I believe that the millett scope will please most anyone who is looking for a great scope at a great price,At least that is my opinion from many years of use in the fields of shooting preditors like yotes and fox to varmints like the whistlepigs and prairy dogs at looong ranges. Buy one and and give it a try, I'm sure you will enjoy it and most likely you'll buy more of them for your rifles too.
Nokturnaldoc
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 03:34
Nokturnaldoc, do you have the 4-16x TRS?

The TRS I reviewed did have to go back for service, but I was told that it was corrected and returned to the original owner in short order. So there's that.

Unlike the brother from the great state of Iowa, I thought the turrets on the Millet were unremarkable, especially considering the fact that they are 1/8 MOA instead of 1/4 like most "Tactical" scopes are.
(I never did understand that.)
Did have a turret locking feature, which might be useful to some, I guess.
The side focus wheel is MASSIVE and presumptuous. The lit reticle is unimpressive, like most Chinese scopes I've seen.  

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokturnaldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 14:12
I do not own the TRS,However I have mounted and dialed in a few of the TRS scopes for some other preditor hunters from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa(my home state) and they are well satisfied.
Nokturnaldoc
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 18:27
That's super ya'll like 'em. Cool screen name too.
Go Big Ten!!!
There's a Millet spook that hangs around here that will appreciate you're comments, I'm sure.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 22:11
Hello

I guess I am the Millett spook,  and I do appreciate the input I get from you guys.  The TRS is one of our most popular scopes, we cant keep them in stock.  

Voodoo6    we have them now with 1/4 moa clicks and if you are real serious .1 mil clicks. 

good shooting

Steve

Millett/ Bushnell.
Steve
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 22:39

Hello Steve!

I don't own any Millett scopes (yet), but I'd like to take a moment to thank you for your long-term oversight and feedback concerning your products on this forum. It says a lot about your company, and I wish some of the other big names would represent themselves as well as you do here!

KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 23:57
Thanks

Steve
Steve
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 05:29
The TRS I used had 1/8 MOA clicks, so I stand corrected in that regard.
Now, about that less than optimum lit reticle....j/k
Yeah as RONK stated, you got brass, Steve.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:47
HI

I do not know what you are refering to on the Less than Optimum lit reticle.   We have lowered the level of the illumination on the reticle to be better in low light conditions.   Our green reticle is one of the easiest to use by most shooters.  ( some with color blindness may have problem)  it works well in urban areas and contrasts well.

I listened to you guys and lower the level on the illumination.  We listen to the feedback.

Thanks

Steve
Steve
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:56
Gee Steve, IF ya'll seen fit to change it, why are so "dumbfounded" as to my comments concerning it? Guess it wasn't curtrting it.
I fully realize and confess, that I witnessed an early model apparently, and base my opinion on that.
Sorry, that's all you had.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 18:29
Hello

I dont think I was dumbfounded as to comments, just not sure if we are speaking of the same problems of brightness?  

Millett as long as I have managed the scope has listened to the shooters, made changes as we thought reasonable from feedback.

Good shooting

Steve
Steve
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 07:11
Yeah, it "was" too bright and I personally would like the scope better if it was just eliminated all together.
I don't think its a bad scope, just not for me.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 08:50
Hello

Voodoo6

Sounds like you would like the Target Varmint model scopes,  they have smaller focus knob, and no Illumination.   But they do have 1/8 moa clicks. 

Good shooting

Steve
Millett Bushnell
Steve
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 16:14
Perhaps your right, Steve. Shall I PM you my mailing address for a free test drive of said "Target Varmint"?
Kidding. Good Shooting.
shootureyeout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootureyeout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 23:29
Originally posted by KB0WZL KB0WZL wrote:

Hello

I guess I am the Millett spook,  and I do appreciate the input I get from you guys.  The TRS is one of our most popular scopes, we cant keep them in stock.  

Voodoo6    we have them now with 1/4 moa clicks and if you are real serious .1 mil clicks. 

good shooting

Steve

Millett/ Bushnell.

I'm serious, but it seems to me that if YOU'RE serious about getting me to buy one of your excellent scopes you'll produce one with 1/2 MOA elevation adjustments.  One turn and one turn only to 1K yards, that's my mantra.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 00:05

Hello

Voodoo

The I am not a fan of the 1/2moa adjustments as I try to shoot better then that in that the size of the adjustments is the smallest target you can hit.   If you have 1/2 moa thats 5 in. one click equals at 1000 yards.   if you have a 1/2 moa gun now you have increased  your error factor double from 1/4 moa.   We have 15.5 moa per turn on the TRS  so one turn at 1000 is 155 moa.  

I hope my explaination is understandable.   I feel the 1/4 is an advantage over the 1/2 Moa.   So if I get tons of requests for 1/2 I will take it into consideration.   Till then try the 1/4 its more accurate. 

The advantage of the .1 mil is it matches the Mil dot reticle and its .36 " per click.  closer to your  1/2 moa adjustment.

Good shooting

Steve
Steve
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokturnaldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 14:36
Hi guys, It's me again and if ya need a great deal on a Millett scope I just bought 4 more of the Buck Gold models @ competitorss.com . I've never got them for this low of a price before so I took advantage of that great deal. It looks to me like your getting things figured out with one another about the 1/4 and 1/2 moa and the lit reticles and such,Personally I like the 1/4 or even the 1/8 moa adjustment turrets for the type of shooting that I do, and I've never looked through a scope with a lit reticle that I thought I couldn't live without So I still don't own one.
Anyway...I haven't been on for a while since I have been reloading like a wild man getting ready to head out West for some prairy dog action in May or June...Ya that's a good time !! Red Mist ...I got to get back to reloading bench now, I'll try to keep in touch with you guys better and keep informed. KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY! And good shooting to you all.
Nokturnaldoc
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 14:45
Originally posted by Nokturnaldoc Nokturnaldoc wrote:

Hi guys, It's me again and if ya need a great deal on a Millett scope I just bought 4 more of the Buck Gold models @ competitorss.com . I've never got them for this low of a price before so I took advantage of that great deal. It looks to me like your getting things figured out with one another about the 1/4 and 1/2 moa and the lit reticles and such,Personally I like the 1/4 or even the 1/8 moa adjustment turrets for the type of shooting that I do, and I've never looked through a scope with a lit reticle that I thought I couldn't live without So I still don't own one.
Anyway...I haven't been on for a while since I have been reloading like a wild man getting ready to head out West for some prairy dog action in May or June...Ya that's a good time !! Red Mist ...I got to get back to reloading bench now, I'll try to keep in touch with you guys better and keep informed. KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY! And good shooting to you all.

here read this especially #3
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5473
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic