OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Fullfield II vs Leupold VX-II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Fullfield II vs Leupold VX-II
    Posted: March/30/2009 at 15:32

Hello all, I’m a new member here, great site!

I currently have a Millett DMS 1-4x which I like very much, but I am looking for something with more magnification, in the 4-12x range. This will be mounted on a Sig 556 rifle and used primarily for target shooting and occasional hunting that may involve some night time trips.

I am currently interested in this Burris:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12465-203-burris-45-14x42-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.aspx

I really like the LRS Ballistic Plex reticle as well as the illumination feature.

How does that Burris compare to this Leupold in terms of quality and clarity?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6214-86-leupold-4-12x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx

I am benchmarking against this Leupold because I have shot with it on my buddies rifle many times, and I feel the quality and clarity will be just fine for my needs. My searches on this forum turned up mixed reviews on the Burris so I’m not sure how it stacks up to the Leupold. Just going with the Leupold seems the safer bet, but as I mentioned I really like the reticle and illumination features much better on the Burris.

What are some other options to look at with similar features? It seems when you throw illumination into the mix there are fewer options, so I would be willing to go without it for the right scope. I’m looking to spend about $400-$500.

Thanks!

Brett B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 15:36
I just realized this probably belongs in the Rifle Scope section and not the Tactical Scopes section. Hopefully a moderator can move it if appropriate.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:14
The Burris FF II 4.5-14 will be more clear than the Leupold. At 1000 yds you will be able to see betterwith the FF II than with a Leupold vxIII. The B-plex is very well suited for the .223 55 gr. bullet. If you are wanting to click up and down the Leupold will have more positive clicks on the turrets. I like the B-plex and it is my choice between the 2.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 19:34
The FFII is clearer than the VXII.I do like Leupolds adjustments better, but see much better through the FII. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 20:59
Burris is better in my opinion.  I like the Ball-plex reticle too.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 07:44
The Burris is Hands Down the brighter and clearer of the two.  I don't care for turning the whole eyepeice to change power but better performance is better performance.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Brett B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 07:47
Thanks for all the great responses guys. It sounds like I would be quite happy with the Burris. Is there anything else in that price range with similar options I should be looking at? Or is the Burris pretty much the best bang for my buck in that class of scope?

Thanks again.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:10
If you're serious about the $400-$500 price range check out the Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16's they make a 40mm and a 50mm version and you get the Rainguard feature. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:26
Yes the 4200 is indeed a better scope.
Brett B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 13:28
Thanks for the pointers, will take a serious look at the 4200.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 15:06
I have not compared the two scopes you mention, and probably nobody else has either.  I do have a Burris FFII 3-9X40 and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 right now, and the Leupold is a much better scope.  Brighter, clearer, and better adjustments.  The Burris is good, for the money, but not close to the Leupold.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:15
The Burris wins hands dow. However, take a serious look at the Elite 4200. IMO it is one of the best values in all of "scopeland."
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:05
the fullfield is a good mid priced scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic