OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new rifle shooter came in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new rifle shooter came in
    Posted: April/01/2009 at 09:43
terry weiland did an excellent article on the old 7x61 sharpe & hart. i knew a bit about this unique round but terry filled in the holes. i didnt know that phil sharpe developed the .357 magnum. remingtons 7 mag certainly killed the 7mm s&h, i think the rem version is better any way.

the new t/c icon precision hunter looks like a sharp rifle, laminated stock chambered in .204 .223. 22-250 .243 and .308. the test rifle shot very well.

craig boddington did not let me down this month, his article entitiled todays mule deer rifle was and excellent read. he made mention of his person afliction to the .264 win mag and how he managed to bag two of the biggest deer in a long time in a matter of two weeks. he shot a big mulie in wyoming and then i very nice white tail in georgia, both with the .264 he of course mentions the .270 and .280 and 30-06 quite a bit, he likes that family of cases. he also takes some time to talk about scoping for mule deer hunts as well as for white tail, and the big differences one may encounter between the two.

wayne van zwoll did a review of the .375 ruger alaskan. he put a sightron scope on it, and proceeded to shoot a sub 1 inch group at 100 with a 300gr factory load.

another good issue, if you dont buy it or subscribe to it you should, its a great mag for the rifle looneys.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 10:10
I got my subscription about back in 07'....good stuff
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 10:21
i really like the writers they have on staff, weiland, boddington, simpson, van zwoll, fortier they are all excellent.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:29
A sub moa with a .375 Ruger Alaskan uh?????.................Whistling   Wink    Naughty
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:31
three shots not 5, and he said he prefered the african model over the alaskan, but the hogue stock did eat up a lot of recoil and helped to balance the rifle out nicely.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/01/2009 at 11:32
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:41
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

A sub moa with a .375 Ruger Alaskan uh?????.................Whistling   Wink    Naughty

Damn BS, how did you find that reference so fast?  You must have a search engine built just to look for 375 Ruger. 
God save the Empire!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:44
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

craig boddington did not let me down this month, his article entitiled todays mule deer rifle was and excellent read. he made mention of his person afliction to the .264 win mag and how he managed to bag two of the biggest deer in a long time in a matter of two weeks. he shot a big mulie in wyoming and then i very nice white tail in georgia, both with the .264
Of course, you know this already Pyro, but I have been shooting a .264 for almost 20 years now.   I might just have to go see if the local grocery store carries this magazine and see what ol' Mr. Boddington has to say about it.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:48
its funny, craig has cheaptrick & 3_tens disease. as a lefty of course he had buy a m70 westerner in a .264 in a right handed model, and he hunted with that rifle for years and years. he finally talked serengeti rifles out of kalispell mt to build him a lefty version in a .264 with a 26" barrel and a laminated stock. i am a firm believer in the power of the 6.5mm family, all of them are good performers and i wouldnt hesitate to take mine after elk or moose. the swedes have been killing moose with the 6.5x55 for eons now.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:54
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Damn BS, how did you find that reference so fast?  You must have a search engine built just to look for 375 Ruger. 
............I haven`t seen the new "Rifle Shooter" mag yet! I just read Pyro`s post of Van Zwoll`s sub moa group results................I can relate!!! Done a few of those good groupings with my Alaskan.

PS......................No search engine!!......................Laugh

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 13:07
The 270 Winchester.....heh heh...

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 16:11
Boddington is one of my favorites?, I just like his writing style.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:37
I think Craig is good on TV too!
take em!
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:51
elmer keith helped develop the 357 mag. and I am puzzled why mr. pyro does not like the 270 win.  fine caliber with a good choice of slugs.  the diameter of the slugs are only slightly larger than the 6.5s and the BCs are generally pretty good.  i love my 6s and 6.5s, but the 270 win. and O'Connor cannot be wrong.  all of the 6.5s are almost on equal footing, untill you get to something like the 6.5-300Wby. which I am told is a barrel burner, which is also probably one of those campfire gossip stories, since almost nobody owns one.  maybe I will make one of those.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:08
Originally posted by mastsif man mastsif man wrote:

...I am puzzled why mr. pyro does not like the 270 win. 
Because it's not a .264.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:10
Pyro ?   by the way Mr. Oconner did not only like the 270 he was very fond of the 7x57 and the 06 he just used the 270 more than the others? 
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 06:54
pyro is just an ornery cuss when it comes to the .270 is all.
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 09:09
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Originally posted by mastsif man mastsif man wrote:

...I am puzzled why mr. pyro does not like the 270 win. 
Because it's not a .264.

or a .284 either!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 09:12
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Pyro ?   by the way Mr. Oconner did not only like the 270 he was very fond of the 7x57 and the 06 he just used the 270 more than the others? 

Seems I read somewhere that he thought the .280 was great too, maybe better than the .270.
take em!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 09:40
+1 on Craig B's writing style.  Ah yes, the great .270 debate with Pyro.  Ain't it great how much calibers overlap?  A guy can load up about anything he wants to that will do about whatever he wants.  It is interesting how close a lot of calibers are but only one really took off.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 11:18
i think jack o conner was the first person to say that the only thing wrong with the .280 rem is the .270win. the .270 had just a few years head start to establish itself among the masses. the 7mm family of bullets just preform a little better than the 6.8's do, and its very close with the 6.5's and 6.8's too. between me my dad and two uncles and my grand dad only one of them has owned a .270. my father in law doesnt own one either, my brother in law and his grand dad both do. i just dont see that their is anything a .270 can do that a .280 wont do better.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic