OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR: 30mm benefits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR: 30mm benefits?
    Posted: April/06/2009 at 18:27
In the market for a scope for long range hunting (300-450 yrds) and target shooting (600 yrds) for a 300 WSM. I was between the Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40mm and the Leupold VXIII or VX3 6.5-20x40mm...until I noticed the Luppy VX-3 6.5-20x40mm Long Range with 30mm tube. My question is what is the advantage of the 30mm tube? Is it worth the extra cost over the 1 in versions of the Luppy...or even the Bushnell? Thanks in advance.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 18:30
I have the VX III version with varmint hunter reticle on a Cooper.  It's a great scope.  The main thing you'll gain on that over the 1" VX3 is adjustment range.  Leupold's 30mm tubes all have 70 to 90 minutes of windage and elevation.  Most 1" tube scopes have about half that much adjustment.  Other than that you don't gain much IMO.  Some people will argue the 30mm tube is stronger but I've never bent a 1" tube.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 18:32
With the 30mm you get more internal adjustments slightly better light transmission and possibly a stronger tube.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 18:57
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

With the 30mm you get more internal adjustments slightly better light transmission and possibly a stronger tube.

Slightly better light transmission is debatable.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:08
I hope your not thinking your gaining a tremendous amount of light with using a 30mm tube! 
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Slightly better light transmission is debatable.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:15

No...I hope you're not thinking you're getting any.  Slightly was not the debatable word.  It's debatable if you get ANY increased light transmission you referred to.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:27
With the older scopes that may have been the case but with the newer scopes with the advancements in optics your eye can only pick up a certain amount of light.So your point of No can be true.

No...I hope you're not thinking you're getting any.  Slightly was not the debatable word.  It's debatable if you get ANY increased light transmission you referred to.

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:55
Loco
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:01
So your saying that I'm crazy.What was said many people would still agree that a 30mm tube would bring in more light than a 1 inch tube so trying to insult me by using that is just rude.  

Loco
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:10

So your saying that I'm crazy.What was said many people would still agree that a 30mm tube would bring in more light than a 1 inch tube so trying to insult me by using that is just rude.  

Loco

This is what got me.

"With the older scopes that may have been the case but with the newer scopes with the advancements in optics your eye can only pick up a certain amount of light.So your point of No can be true."

Your first sentence was vague and your second was unledgible.  "So your point of NO can be true".  Loco  Put together a meaningful sentence or you're gonna see alot more of these.....Loco
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:14
Your still saying that a 30mm tube would not bring in any more light than a 1 inch tube, is that your answer.Please explain!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:20
On the low end a 6.5X can make it very difficult to engage game at relatively close ranges.  On the high end a 20X won't exactly provide a superb sight picture with a 40mm objective lens. 
What kind of targets will you be shooting at 600 yards?  If you're content with being able to bust clay pigeons stuck on a bank at 600 to 650yds then going with the scope below will be plenty for this.  Plus, if you have the opportunity take a shot on game at less than a couple hundred yards you'd have a much better field of view with something in a 3.5 to 4.5X low end.
If this were a long range varmint rifle or dedicated match rifle then the one you're looking at would be the better choice; in only my opinion of course.
If you want the target turrets just send it to the Leupold Custom Shop, and for about $60 per turret you can get the M1 knobs.Thunbs Up

LEU66395 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope                                                                                  Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $679.95
More Info...
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:23

Your still saying that a 30mm tube would not bring in any more light than a 1 inch tube, is that your answer.Please explain!

As I said it's debatable.  If you look at a diagram of the image path through a scope you see that the body of a 1" tube does not interfere with light passage.  The objective size determines how much light can enter the scope regardless of tube diameter.
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 21:41

C'mon everyone, play nice. I appreciate all the input. It sounds like the main benefit of a 30mm tube is great range of adjustment....does that translate into finer adjustment?

As far as targets at at 600 yards it would probably be silhouttes and clays, maybe a local high power match for fun...not a serious target rifle.  I was wondering if the 6.5 x 20 is too much, but the 4.5x14 seems a little weak on the high end. Maybe that's what I should be looking at though?

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 21:45
No it  doesn't translate into finer adjustment.  For 600 yd shooting at small targets I'd get the 20x over a 14x.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 21:48
As has been said here many times, a 30mm tube does not increase light transmission.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 21:49
No the 30mm tube will not allow more light gathering ...transmission.....magic light show .you just get more adjustment and maybe a stronger tube ? maybe I don't see how though round is round 30mm is 30mm 1'' is 1''? in order to get more strength you need to have a stronger material or thicker material!

Edited by rifle looney - April/06/2009 at 21:51
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 22:10
this topic gets beat up at least once a month and stop any name calling-- basically any angle intersection supports more surface area on the 30mm,  as far as light transmission most 30mm simply use 1" innards, however some 34 mm scopes use larger dia. innards in which case the light transmission can almost be doubled.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 22:20
Which is more important to you?  Shooting game or targets?  I can tell you from my own experience that a 12X with decent glass is plenty for punching holes at 600 yards.  At 12X a target at that range will appear as if it is only 50 yards away. 
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 23:24
The primary purpose of the rifle is hunting.  This will be my "desert" rifle, what folks out east and the midwest would call a "beanfield" rifle....for reaching out and getting animals like barbary sheep and antelope that you just can't stalk in close. In order to shoot one of those critters at that range would take alot of practice for me to be comfortable, thus the targets.  My local range is talking about opening a 600 yrd range, if that happens I'm sure I'll be out there once a month practicing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic