OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MILL-DOT OR BDC RETICLE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MILL-DOT OR BDC RETICLE?
    Posted: April/08/2009 at 19:28
i AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A SCOPE,I HAVE READ ALL THE MILL-DOT INFO BUT I AM NOT SURE IF BDC RETICLE WOULD BE EASIER TO USE. Any help from experienced shooters would be appreciated.
ZREXXX
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 19:38
  A laser rangefinder and a BDC are probably EASIER to use.
 A trained shooter using a Mil-Dot scope doesn't need a laser rangefinder. He has one in the reticle, as long as he knows how to use it and if he knows about how big his target is.
zrexxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 19:43
I am still undecided, I think I would like to learn how to use the mill-dot sight, but it seems the learning curve would be longer to become proficient in a usable or practical time frame.
ZREXXX
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 19:54

It's also a skill you need to use often to stay proficient at.

I believe most shooters would be happier with a laser, at least for ranging.

I'm different...

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 21:09
Why don't you check out www.mil-dot.com an see what you think.  I qucikly became hooked on the mildots.  I find I can calculate range peetty good .  Its the windage thats giving me hemroids!  Nice thing about learning this system....no batteries required.  Although range cards and cheatsheets are a huge help!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 21:23
Get a Mil-Dot Master from SWFA along with the mil-dot scope.  It will save a lot of heartburn.  Also get a Slope-Doper.  You can use a laser rangefinder, but if your batteries ever fail or conditions aren't right for the laser, you have the mil-dot, which is an exceptional range finder once you learn to use it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 00:59
Where do you get a Slope Doper?  I'm assuming it takes the headache out of angles up and down.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
zrexxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 05:54
I assume a slope doper is a range finder???
ZREXXX
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 08:47
Slope Doper is available from a number of places.  It aids in determination of shooting angle.  It is NOT a range finding device. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 11:00
If you go with a BDC reticle, you can't use the reticle as reliably to make corrections for a second shot since the gradations aren't uniform. Also, a BDC reticle may or not match your load well. In which case, you might as well get the advantages of a mil-dot or other uniformly gradated reticle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:13
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Where do you get a Slope Doper?  I'm assuming it takes the headache out of angles up and down.

http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=accessories

I recommend the gen 2.

Several people make them, and you really don't need one unless you shoot long range and/or big angles.

I like mine, but I take it off when it isn't needed.

It is not a range estimation device but rather helps calculate an accurate distance for a shot taken at an angle (as opposed to a shot taken at an angel.)

God gear.  Like a rail-mounted level and like FFP: if you don't know if you need it, you don't need it.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:15
Be advised that a BDC is only as accurate as you verify it is.  A mil dot is a mil dot, it has no drop associated with it, just an angle subtention; to be meaningful, you gotta know a few things.  The same is true of a BDC.

There's no free lunch or easy way out - unless you hire a really good shot and have him make it for you.
zrexxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:33
I think I will go with the mill-dot and just learn the math and how to shoot with it.
It sounds like the way to go with out having to have a range finder.  I looked at the mill-dot site and started to do the demos. I am slowly catching on. I now understand the basic concepts of mill dots. It is just going to take time to learn them and use them enough to make it practical. Thanks for all the help...
ZREXXX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:36
Be advised, you really want mil-adjustment turrets if you are planning to learn the mil dot.

Also, forget the math, buy a mil dot master and don't worry about your calculator dying on you (voice of experience!)

And, like Ronk said, to do it well, you gotta do it often,  ranging (accurately) is a very perishable skill.
nukemmc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukemmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 18:40
Wholeheartedly agree with Rancid above.  To be just learning mil-dots, it's MUCH easire to learn with turrets that adjust for mils.  You won't have to do the quick math involving 3.6"/100yds.

To effectively use the mil-dots for hold-overs and windage, you MUST know how your rifle shoots your ammo.  Get a very good no-wind zero at each range you expect to shoot at (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 650, 700 etc).  Now, us that no-wind zero to shoot groups at your "zero" yardage (200 for me) on a nice, constant-wind (like a 3 or 5mph wind) day.  This gives you an idea of how your windage will go in comparison to ballistics charts.  It sounds complex, but do it a couple times and you'll get the idea of it pretty quick.

Also, you'll want to make a verification target for your scope (if it's a variable) that has 3.6" squares on it.  This lets you find the EXACT magnification that the mils subtend 3.6".
zrexxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 18:56
Any recomendations on scopes that come in mills on the turrets.  Variable power,4-15 possibly and in the $350.00 range.  I like the nikon scopes.  I have always had excellent clarity and longetivity in their cameras. I figuered their scope glass woud be just as good,
but I don't think their scopes come with mills on their turrets. I beleive you have to do the calculations, and I like your idea better.
ZREXXX
zrexxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 19:32
Check the last post and give me some options. I think all you guys have some great advice.
I now I would have bought something I wouldn't of been pleased with right from the get, if I didn't come here first.
ZREXXX
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 20:34
Keep in mind that rangefinding with a reticle is based on knowing as close as possible the actual size of an object in the field of view. I'm not qualified to say how well it works with a man-sized target, e.g. 2 meters, but with a game animal, where you're dealing with smaller sizes, e.g. 18" for a deer from shoulder to brisket, even a difference of an inch or two would throw your range estimate off enough to make a poor shot. I rely on a rangefinder for that.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 21:27
That is an excellent point. I use a reticle to range when shooting steel, but I know the size of the target exactly. For things that you don't know the exact size of, you won't be nearly as accurate.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 21:51
I know Falcon does, Millett might (have mil turrets and a mil reticle.)

And you do need to know the exact dimensions of your target to range it well.  Off by a few inches at 400+ yards = miss!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic