OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MOA How much internal adjustment .308 Cal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:06
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

I'm simply amazed at the things to be learned at the feet of one who's never done..................

Play nice.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:10
Well instead of just talking about this, I just spend an hour up above town shooting my precision .308 at various distances.  There was a 15 to 25 mph crosswind tonight so I thought it would be some good practice, so I went and shot 20 rounds.

There is this ridge I like to shoot off of, I have about 2000 yards I can shoot from this ridge.  There is a big sandstone rock at 1125 yards from where I like to shoot from.  It has a dark spot in it that measures about 8 inches. 

I decided to try the cold bore shot at 1125.  So I dialed in my dope and adjusted for 4.5 mils for windage and squeezed one off.  I hit .5 mils to the right.  Made my adjustment and follow up with number 2 and hit the dark spot. 

So ya, an experience shooter shooting a .308 would have absolutely no problem making a cold bore 1000 yard hit with a .308 everytime.  I still have a lot to learn, reading the wind especially.  But I was able to make first round hits at 550, 750, and 890.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 22:53
Thats cool super....
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 22:55
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

I'm simply amazed at the things to be learned at the feet of one who's never done..................
What exactly are you saying Mike...enlighten me I am just here to learn
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 01:09
Mike is the expert on long range shooting.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/29/2009 at 20:50

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 08:49
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

So ya, an experience shooter shooting a .308 would have absolutely no problem making a cold bore 1000 yard hit with a .308 everytime.    

Tool, we've had our disagreements in the past, and I'll leave there there; but Mike's point is well supported by this statement of yours.

It ain't ever that simple.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:53
Coffee

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/26/2009 at 10:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 21:29
I haven't shot at 1000 yards in a long time, and doping the wind might be tricky, good news is, you break out your little black book find a old set up that fits your conditions an dial it in and trust your experience. That's nice at the range.  But a head shot, cold bore after 5 or 6 years of not firing at that range? Even Mr. McDonald, who's shooting capabilities I have great respect for, would be danged hard pressed to make that guarantee. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 21:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I have access to more powerful rifles but I want a cartridge that I can enjoy shooting.  For that matter I also have access to close air support which is really preferable at distance.

That's more like it.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 21:47

USPS HomepageSkip Navigation Home  |  Help  |  Sign In

Track & Confirm FAQs

Track &amp;amp;amp; Confirm
Search Results
Label/Receipt Number: 0307 3330 0001 1671 7051

Your item was delivered at 11:22 AM on April 29, 2009 in RED OAK, TX 75154.
I would certainly like to hear what Trijicon has to say and would like to know if the mildot reticle exhibits the same irregular line feature or appears sharp.

Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 21:48

Mike is the expert on long range shooting.

Thunbs Up   Thunbs Up 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic