OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with scope mounts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazergt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with scope mounts!
    Posted: April/27/2009 at 19:37
I just bought an AR-15 flat top with 20" match grade barrel and free floating guard and now i need a scope.  I want one of these two- The VX-I 3-9 40mm or the 50mm

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-i-riflescopes/vx-i-3-9x40mm/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-i-riflescopes/vx-i-3-9x50mm/

Im not sure what to use to mount it to my AR.  Is the 50mm to big? should i just go with the 40?  I dont need anything fancy and wont be taking it on and off.  Please help!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 20:06

To begin with I think you selected the wrong scope and unlike most of the crowd I am very strong on Leupold scopes.  The fixed 6x42  FX3 scope would be a fine choice for you and is quite tough.  I tend to think 50mm is a bit much on an AR. Burris has some new  mounts that probably are not in stock yet and should be placed on back order asap to get some when they come in.

410343 New Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1 Scope Mount                                                                                    New Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1 Scope Mount
  • Matte
  • Picatinny Tops
SWFA: $69.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 20:07
For an ar-15 I personally would say you cant beat the 10x42 30mm super sniper with burris tactical med. rings. Check these scopes out on swfa's websight
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
blazergt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazergt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 20:40
Well i really like the 3x9 so im going to stick with that but i really like that mount.  It will fit with the leupold vx-I 3x9 40mm?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:05
If you want to stay with a 3-9, might I suggest you look at either a bushnell 3200 or 4200 or a Nikon team primos. All three are either slightly less or a little more than the leupold vx-1 with significantly better glass.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:13
I never put a scope on an AR, but I think you have to use high rings anyway, so there's room for a 50mm if you want one.  And if you want a Leupold, there ain't a damned thing wrong with that.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:18
Leupolds are great but I would save some more and up grade to the VX-II.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:27
Fully multicoated is, indeed, better, as far as I can tell.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:42
I agree w/Shenko i wouldnt put a scope on an AR-15 it just seems redundant.....however if i did I would use the ss with med. rings they seem perfect for the AR. The scopes just seem to fit.....in my opinion you need high dollar optics ( leupold..ect.)on long range rifles not AR's, and the ss's are between $300-$400 and worth every penny. Multi coated is definately better.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:51
Originally posted by sniper13 sniper13 wrote:

I agree w/Shenko i wouldnt put a scope on an AR-15 it just seems redundant.....however if i did I would use the ss with med. rings they seem perfect for the AR. The scopes just seem to fit.....in my opinion you need high dollar optics ( leupold..ect.)on long range rifles not AR's, and the ss's are between $300-$400 and worth every penny. Multi coated is definately better.

AR'S are used for many a things and long range is one of them and they do it pretty well, as well as prairie doggin so you need a scope, and a good one at that, and high dollar optics start at around $800.00 ......... three or four hundred gets you good mid level optics.
blazergt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazergt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 00:02
Thanks guys, this is all great.  This rifle has some nice upgrades so it definitely needs a scope!  I can upgrade to a better one later on, right now i still need ammo :(
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 00:52
I didn't say that I wouldn't put a scope on an AR.  Just that I never have.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 01:07
SI39X40MD Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope                                                                                           Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
SI39X40HHR Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope                                                                                           Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Hunter Holdover Reticle
  • 1"
SWFA: $154.95
More Info... Buy Now
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now

731642M Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
Ok I could see right off you really wanted to be a Leupold guy so there are a lot of reasons I suggested the fixed 6x42  it has awesome glass a 7mm exit eye pupil (bright in low light) is one of the toughest most durable scopes ever made. But I can see that you are set on a variable so dont forget to turn the power down when it gets dark. Any of the above variables will ultimately make you happier than the leupold bottom of the line variable you selected. Once you get to a VX3 or FX3 you are really getting quality glass but until you get there Leupold is really not up to speed with the competition. 
 Pick one of these and save yourself a hundred bucks you can thank me later.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/28/2009 at 01:12

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 08:17
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Originally posted by sniper13 sniper13 wrote:

AR'S are used for many a things and long range is one of them and they do it pretty well, as well as prairie doggin so you need a scope, and a good one at that, and high dollar optics start at around $800.00 ......... three or four hundred gets you good mid level optics.
I am not bashing the effectiveness of an ar-15,if it sounds like it..sorry. All I was saying is all you really need is a mid-level optic. After all its not the gun that lacks capability its the cartridge ( .223 )
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 08:34
Dude, I'm following your posts and maybe you should do some research before snapping or commenting ...............just saying!
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 08:41
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Dude, I'm following your posts and maybe you should do some research before snapping or commenting ...............just saying!
You actually believe that with a .223 poor ballistic coefficiant that its a good long range round????? I guess I should ask what your idea of long range is...to hit a prarie dog your only looking at 300y with a well set-up ar-15. Past that you would need a better cartridge like a .308.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:22
You are dead wrong on the matter a 223 is good to go out to 600.800yrds using heavy bullets it is done all the time! ask someone here. as a matter of fact I use a t/c contender handgun  14" barrel   223 and shoot jack rabbits at 3oo yrds + all the time with a 4x scope?

Edited by rifle looney - April/28/2009 at 17:57
blazergt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazergt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:45
Thanks, i like those 3-9 scopes you picked out
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:54
At 600 yards a 77 SMK 2750 at the muzzle is still going 1600 FPS, with 450 ftlbs energy.  That is as much as a 45 auto at point blank range.  I think that will easily take care of any varmint and any coyote alive. 

I hit a coyote at 460 yards with a 55 grain FMJ and a 4x scope on my AR.  I will count some of it as luck, but it did it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic