OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage scopes from 1960s and 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:07
Originally posted by BobH BobH wrote:

Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Try the on-line auctins AA and E***
I see Pecar's on the latter farely regularly.

Hi Magshooter, thanks for the info, but who is Pecar?  Or do I just look silly asking that question?

Pecar was a small German optics firm that sadly closed its doors early last year.  They made very good high quality scopes.  Most of what I see on the auction sites are their older scopes with steel tubes.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 19:48
Pretty Tittie.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:34
[QUOTE=iwilder]BobH biggest

What scope you need will depend to some degree on what model and year your mannlicher Schoenauer is.  I have a  Mannlicher Schoenauer 1956 magnum in 6.5x68.  This gun has a factory mounted Kahles 2x7 rail scope in Steyr mounts.   That is the factory setup.  See if you can find an old Stoegers catalog from the 50s.  They were the MS importer.   Ebay has a lot of older european scopes for sale. Check them out. 

The biggest obstacle will be the mount.  Due to the spilt bridge, mounts are usually high.   I would steer away from mounts that require you to drill extra holes.  The Redfield mount works well.  The Leupold mount requires extra holes.  The Bausch & Lomb\Kuharsky mounts may work for your model and the early B&L balvar scopes are nice and easy to find.  They have etched tapered cross hairs in some of them (Balvar 8a).  I have several of these and like them.  From the 1951 model on they were drilled and tapped on the left side ti the rear of the receiver.  Not until the MCA model M/S was the receiver ring factory drilled and tapped.  Some models have a plate for a side mount.  This is mounted below the stock line on the left side.  I believe Griffin& Howe as well as some others will work.  This doesn't require new holes or cutting away at the stock.  It also allows easy removal of teh scope for use of iron sights as does the Steyr mount I mentioned earlier.  It is similar to the EAW mount.

I hope this helps
[/QUOTE
Hi I wilder, when I was looking for this rifle, I wish I had you as a reference.  The rifle I bought is a 1956 MC, with the factory holes on the left side of the reciever.  It currently has a Pachmyer side mount, but I am hoping in the next several months to find a Griffin and Howe side mount as well.    I had a laundry list of things that I wanted, but I could not piece all of them together into one rifle, so I chose the 1956 as it was the closest to what I wanted.

I wanted a polished bolt instead of blued.  (1956 or 1961)
.243 caliber (1956 only)
Side mounted, G&H mount (pre MCA/1961)
Less radical MC stock (all but MC)

Now I would like to find a period scope for it, but I am seeing that it will take some time to find just what I would like, and more money than what I was expecting to spend.

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:38
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Here is my gun, a 1903 with a variation of Stricker patent cheekpiece and 7/8" diameter scope in orignal mannlichers shoenaur scopemounts from the 50th. The scope will be replaced with a Zeiss, Hensoldt, Kahles or whatever when I find one. The Binocular at the picure is a Leitz Binozito (1910) one of the first Leitz (Leica) binoculars to come out on the market. However as you probably want you gun to be correct, I would recomend either this orignal mount (farily easy to find in europe, Ebay is a good solution) or a clawmount, but those are expensive.  Scopevise I would go for Zeiss, Hensoldt, Kahles, Swarovski or any other high end european that qualityvise corresponds to the gun you have.
Technika

Agree with you completely on the brands of scope that will be appropriate, now I just need to find them.  Thanks for the input.

BTW, that is an absolutely perfect rifle to my eyes.
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:39

Just noticed that I did not say thank you for all of your input.  I do appreciate you taking the time to reply

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 22:57

Now that I have the rifle, I have reconsidered and am looking at putting a modern scope on the rifle.  While fooling around with a few scopes that I have on hand, I have run into a small glitch.  The rifle came with a Pachmyer Lo-Swing mount that has a solid piece that runs along the bottom of the mount system.   The Swarovski and the Burris that I fooled with both have a saddle that runs completely around the scope and creates a conflict with the mount.  Is there a high quality scope manufactured today that does not have a 360 degree saddle?

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 00:02
 This is all I've been able to locate so far:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic