OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

my new 44 with an AImpoint Micro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my new 44 with an AImpoint Micro
    Posted: April/28/2009 at 07:04
got my new toy in, Smith Performance Center 44 with a 6.5" barrel and an Aimpoint T1

I like it...

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 12:37
Very nice set up, I like the site and the gun. The non-fluted cylinder and the tapered ejector shroud add some weight that helps with recoil reduction. The tapered shroud looks better than the full length one IMO.
What mount and grips?

Edited by tahqua - April/28/2009 at 12:47
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 12:40
That is cool!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 13:21
thanks
grips and mount are what came with it from Smith
I am having them send me another mount (they didn't even charge me!) and I am going to see about machining it down to give me a flat base at the rear (where the Micro sits) and removing the Weaver clamp from the micro and mounting it directly to the base via the 4 screws that the Weaver clamp affixes to the Micro

that should get it at least an 1/8 to maybe even a 1/4" lower

Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 19:52
That is COOL!!!
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 20:03
That's nice!           here little piggy piggy! Wink
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 10:48
"here little piggy" is definitely the plan
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 16:45
Have you shot the pistol with the T1, Coke?
If so, are you experiencing any problems with the dot disappearing between shots?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 08:33
disappering? you mean "losing the dot" from my vision or having the dot cut out momentarily due to recoil?

if the latter, no
I have been practing alot with it dry firing getting used to the red dot setup
It would be nice to be a little lower and I am considering a custom mount, but then again, I am considering not and having a quick release lever so I can take it off and shoot iron sights with it if I want to
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 09:57
It looks like you would have a  tough time getting that Micro any closer to the frame. Are you not getting a good cheek weld? Big Grin
It is nice to see a blue Smith for a change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:41
I mounted a T1 on my Mossberg and the dot would disappear after the shot. It would reappear after a little while, and shut down after every shot.  
I wrote Aimpoint and they advised me to tighten the battery cap a little better and that should resolve my issue.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:27
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I mounted a T1 on my Mossberg and the dot would disappear after the shot. It would reappear after a little while, and shut down after every shot.  
I wrote Aimpoint and they advised me to tighten the battery cap a little better and that should resolve my issue.

Stare
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:38

I
the dot would disappear after the shot. It would reappear after a little while, .    

Sounds like a detached retina to me.
  Or a brain tumor, maybe...   
                                                          Smoking

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:03
I noticed it has a 4 screw sideplate. What model no. is it? Is it one of the Classics from the custom shop, and does it have that dang trigger lock?
It's a nice looking revolver, I'd love to try it out.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 21:24
yeah, I have the battery cap cranked nice and tight
no issues

it's a PC model from 2005, I got new in the box, it does have the stupid trigger lock, I didn't think it did but it does, but I will be disabling it :)

description:
S&W HANDGUNS [Website]
Man. Number

Title

S&W M29 6.5" IFS UNFLUTED CYLINDER
Description

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 29 PERFORMANCE CENTER REVOLVER 44 MAG HIGHBRITE BLUE FINISH 6-1/2" BBL INTERCHANGEABLE FRONT SIGHT AMERICAN PRIDE LASER ETCHING ON GRIPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 06:09
I received this email back from Aimpoint the other day.

Don’t worry your sight is good to go.  We have seen this and determined it is being caused by the user not tightening down the battery cap enough.  It is not a problem with the cap, but rather the cap not being tightened down enough.  All you have to do is tighten the cap down with adequate torque to compress the o-ring, and the problem is solved.   

Keith Weaver

Customer Support, Commercial

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 06:49
yep, saw  a similiar thread on M4carbine.net
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 17:11

I received this email back from Aimpoint the other day.

Don’t worry your sight is good to go.  We have seen this and determined it is being caused by the user not tightening down the battery cap enough.  It is not a problem with the cap, but rather the cap not being tightened down enough.  All you have to do is tighten the cap down with adequate torque to compress the o-ring, and the problem is solved.   

Keith Weaver

Customer Support, Commercial

So did that solve the problem, Mark?

Edited by RONK - May/01/2009 at 17:12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 18:15
I think so, Ron. I noticed it more while shooting slugs than anything else. I tightened the cap down and shot some target loads and all was well.
First time I ever "under" tightened anything that resulted in a problem in my life, I'll tell you that. I'm usually over doing stuff.

I'll try some buckshot and slug loads this weekend and report back.    

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 10:57
just an update
aimpoint has held zero and works great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic