OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best optics $650 and under

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best optics $650 and under
    Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:16
hello everyone i would like some opinions on what the best optics i could buy for $650 and under the scope will be going on a 280 ackley custom and i would like as much magnification as possible in 14 inch or shorter scope
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:26
What do you intend using it for???
Welcome to OT. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 10:03
For me, I recommend the Kahles CL 3-10x50 or 4-12x52. I have the 4-12 on a 300 WinMag and it is very good glass.

If you can stretch a little further $$$-wise get a Kahles CS 3-12x56 with MultiZero. That is what I have on my 280AI, and the combination is truly awesome. I don't have any concerns about customer service, as I have not experienced any need for customer service. And my Kahles scopes have been well exercised! I have a 3-12x56 CS on a 338 WinMag that has a little recoil, and the scope just keeps working flawlessly. Of course, YMMV...

Regards,

Texas
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 10:45
Originally posted by Texas Texas wrote:

For me, I recommend the Kahles CL 3-10x50 or 4-12x52. I have the 4-12 on a 300 WinMag and it is very good glass.

Regards,

Texas

I would LOVE to know where I could get either of those Kahles scopes for $650 or less!!!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 10:53
So would I...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 11:39
Ok, how 'bout 699.99 for either?  GOOGLE Kahles scopes... they are out there. I looked.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:16
Originally posted by seattlesetters seattlesetters wrote:

Regards,

Texas

I would LOVE to know where I could get either of those Kahles scopes for $650 or less!!!!!

+1
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:21

I looked when  I was buying.I never could find no 650.00 Kahles either. You might want to look at Sightron i have one and love it 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:28
Must be a different internet...

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:54
That is kinda harsh, considering I am trying to help and I am correct. I am not going to advertise Chris' competition on the board, though. I bought both of my CS model scopes from Chris, and I will always buy from him if I can.  You would not regret getting Kahles equipment even if it costs an extra $50 - this glass ROCKS!!!

Regards,

Texas

Edited by Texas - May/07/2009 at 15:56
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:00

Meopta makes a decent scope in this price range.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Must be a different internet...

Shocked
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:02
No worries there Texas..... If the competition is valid SWFA has their 110% price guarantee.
I just prefer to spend my money at SWFA, I know them to be honest and trustworthy. You do run the risk when using too many internet vendors. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:10
Agreed, cyborg. Chris and company are just good people. I have been buying glass from them for nigh on ten years, and they keep taking care of me time after time. Best retail organization I have found on the web.

Texas
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:15
We enjoy picking at each other here, as you've no doubt seen. Any loyal customer to SWFA is certainly a friend to all of us here.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 17:13

That is kinda harsh, considering I am trying to help and I am correct. I am not going to advertise Chris' competition on the board, though. I bought both of my CS model scopes from Chris, and I will always buy from him if I can.  You would not regret getting Kahles equipment even if it costs an extra $50 - this glass ROCKS!!!

Regards,

Texas
Maybe, wasn't really intended to be "harsh"... perhaps flippant, and not questioning your veracity, but I went to 9 different sites that had a leader for Kahles for $699.00 using Google search, all were out of stock, never in stock or other scopes than CS or CL (or one 3-9).  I understand it could be several levels down, but it is not just an easy hit.  
I agree that the Kahles is a great buy, even at significantly more $$.  

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 21:40
Ok Kb, no worries... my skin must be thinning. I got a hit on this place on the first page of my google search, and I bought my CL from them about a year ago. They are good people too, and they do have the CL scopes in question in stock. Have a great day, man!

Texas
dm17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dm17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 22:01
Google "Kahles CL 4-12x52" and you will find them on the first page of hits at the prices Texas stated.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 23:54
Originally posted by kelly1278 kelly1278 wrote:

hello everyone i would like some opinions on what the best optics i could buy for $650 and under the scope will be going on a 280 ackley custom and i would like as much magnification as possible in 14 inch or shorter scope

Welcome Kelly what do you want to use the rifle for?  When you say as much magnification as possible under $650 there are a lot of really nice scopes out there that may be just a tad more expensive like the Bushnell 6500 scopes but if it's a target gun you might be really interested in this scope:
10414 Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette 66860, Matte finish, 1/2min Leupold Dot reticle, 1" tube, adjustable objective (50yds-infinity), target knobs, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures   $599.95
http://www.swfa.com/pc-14390-132-new-leupold-30x40-fx-3-silhouette-riflescope.aspx
13.2 inches long

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/07/2009 at 23:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 19:01

Ok Kb, no worries... my skin must be thinning. I got a hit on this place on the first page of my google search, and I bought my CL from them about a year ago. They are good people too, and they do have the CL scopes in question in stock. Have a great day, man!

Texas
Thinning skin or not, my wife and children all tell me I have an "ABRASIVE" personality. I don't see it.  

I expect that Mr. Chris would give you as good or better a deal, though.  FYI, I am originally from Texas, it is still and always will be, my home.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic