OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alpen Apex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alpen Apex
    Posted: May/17/2005 at 21:50
Anyone had any experience with the Alpen Apex line of binoculars?  Other sites have tons of posts bragging these up.  Anyone know anything about them?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2005 at 01:11

Alpens are pretty big with birders.  The ones that I have seen have appeared to be pretty good for the money.

ranburr

swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2005 at 12:13
Do you know what they are comparable to?  Are they in line with either the Pentax SP or Kahles? Or more in the line of Nikon Monarch, Bushnell legend, etc?  Thanks in advance for any info.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2005 at 13:59

They are probably better than the monarchs, comporable or a little better than the Legends.  I have never put them all side by side.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2005 at 15:25

Better than Monarchs.  Better than Legends too.  Not as good as Pentax SP. 

I think that Alpen Apex binos are comparable to Sightron S3 and Leupold Pinnacles.  New Swift Ultralites should be comparable as well, but I have not seent them yet, so this is based on comments from others.

Ilya

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 11:11
Is this the company that was a spin off from Bushnell?
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 16:09

http://www.optics4birding.com/RevAlpenApex.aspx

"President Tim Gardner (founder) and Vice President Tony Proper, who each held top management positions at Bausch & Lomb’s Sports Optics Division, have more than 20 years optics experience, contributing to Alpen’s widespread success"

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2005 at 18:40

I have two pairs now - Alpen Apex 10x42, and some older Alpen 7.3x30 (weird, I know!)

Both are very nice, clear optically, very little optical aberation at the edges, just a little CA that I can detect - they sight-in very well and focus adjustment is great.  Lightweight - for the price I paid (used off ebay) they are great.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic