OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

eXplore Optics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 17:01
Welcome aboard, doeroller.  Good name...
Thank you for the information.  I would like to be able to evaluate one, but that requires a bit of time, can't be done on a time constraint.  Perhaps one will show up in this area sometime soon...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
doeroller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doeroller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:34
Kickboxer.... one shot does not an evaluation make......I mean what would I have thought about the scope if I had missed.... I know I wasn't being very objective, however it was clear and bright but will it hold zero or repeat zero?  I have know idea.  If you do get a chance to study one, I really like to read about it.  However, for the money I'm still going to try one.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 22:20
You are right, one shot does not an eval make.  It was a good data point.  Seems I saw one somewhere a while back and "played" with it, but don't really remember the details.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cotys View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 20:56
Well guys, let's see how it goes.  I do 300 to 800 yrd prairie dog shooting and have used a Super Sniper 20x, which I purchased at SWFA.  I decided it was too difficult to find the target in the scope with the 20x.  The field of view is fairly small.  When shooting in TX, in the late afternoon the mirage can get pretty bad with a 20x. 

I have seen Explore Optics for the past year at the gun shows.  I decided to give one a try.  The scopes are very bright and clear.  They have models with lighted reticles, but that drops the warranty to 3 yrs only.  I have no need for the lighted reticle and avoided it.  I went with an 8x-32x and have only done paper shooting.  I have ran the turrets up 20 MOA and fired tight groups and then back to zero.  So far so good.  It will get a good workout in April 2011 on my next prairie dog trip.  Be rest assured I'll carry my secondary with my faithful Super Sniper with me.

SWFA has fantastic service and is a great company.  The risk I take is buying a scope that doesn't have a proven track record or a solid company like SWFA behind it.

I'll let you know how it goes.  At this point is it a gamble.

Coty
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 21:20

I may be out of line here since I've never heard of these scopes before, But with that said...If Ilya is leary of them and SWFA doesnt carry them, thats about all I need to know to say I'll pass on them.

bearslayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2010 at 18:43
Originally posted by doeroller doeroller wrote:

I just returned from a hunt in central Texas where I was lucky enough to guide a father and his two daughters on the girls first deer hunt.  The father had a 4 x 16 Explore scope mounted on his new ICON, 30 TC.  After he had harvested a nice management buck we notice a small group of Axis crossing a hill in the distance.  Now, I have been trying to harvest an Axis for the past several weeks but have not been able to either because I was not armed at the time or I was with a client.  The father noticed my disappointment at another chance at Axis being lost and offered me the use of his rifle.  I made the windage and elevation corrections using the "mill dot" system on the scope and cranked it to 16X , then turned the parallax to 500.  The buck continued to walk and I picked a location to ambush him by letting him walk "into" the bullet.  At the shot, the buck crumpled.  The shot was 605 yards.  I was impressed with the quality of the optics and plan to purchase one for my 7mm Remington Mag. in the near future.

Wow no input from "CHEAPTRICK"?  605 yards? Must have slipped through the cracks? No worries he should be by soon,He finds long shots on game very" DISTURBING".
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2010 at 20:48
Bearslayer 

Please give it a rest. It is one thing for you and CT to have this discussion on one thread (the one it started on), but do not bring your attitude to other topics please.

Yes someone stated they were concerned with long range shots on big game. That is their opinion and they can have it. Just please give it a rest.

If your capable of the shot and feel comfortable go for it. That is your choice. No one else has any clam to your conscience. Just be satisfied that the choice is yours and live with it.

For the rest of the community we do not want to hear pissing matches. Heated discusions are one thing but don't get personal. 
Gerald Baker
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2010 at 21:00
Whatever CT would say, I'll say this:  I would NEVER take a shot on game at 500+ yards with a gun I had never fired. (I don't consider hogs "game.")

As for the optics in question, sounds like another Countersniper to me, maybe I'm wrong; but when people satrt comapring a $300 to "the big 3", I remember that everyone is selling something.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 12:33
Beerslayer, if you have a problem with Cheaptrick take it to PM.  There is no need to air your frustrations out on an unrelated thread.

As for eXplore optics, if they are at SHOT, I'll check them out.  However, I am with RC on this.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 12:55
+4

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 13:01
Originally posted by bearslayer bearslayer wrote:

Originally posted by doeroller doeroller wrote:

I just returned from a hunt in central Texas where I was lucky enough to guide a father and his two daughters on the girls first deer hunt.  The father had a 4 x 16 Explore scope mounted on his new ICON, 30 TC.  After he had harvested a nice management buck we notice a small group of Axis crossing a hill in the distance.  Now, I have been trying to harvest an Axis for the past several weeks but have not been able to either because I was not armed at the time or I was with a client.  The father noticed my disappointment at another chance at Axis being lost and offered me the use of his rifle.  I made the windage and elevation corrections using the "mill dot" system on the scope and cranked it to 16X , then turned the parallax to 500.  The buck continued to walk and I picked a location to ambush him by letting him walk "into" the bullet.  At the shot, the buck crumpled.  The shot was 605 yards.  I was impressed with the quality of the optics and plan to purchase one for my 7mm Remington Mag. in the near future.

Wow no input from "CHEAPTRICK"?  605 yards? Must have slipped through the cracks? No worries he should be by soon,He finds long shots on game very" DISTURBING".

Man, you must be really bored.
bearslayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 14:18
Koshkin,

I will also be at the Shot Show.We all know that you don't get anything for free in the optics world.You get what you pay for.Some may be able to do it for less but there is no way for a $300 scope to compete with the big boys.There are far to many variables that come into play.Building a top scope is not a cheap process.Building a good scope can be done but it will not be on par with the Big guys.That being said It all comes down to what you are looking for in a scope.The eXplore may be the best $300 scope out there. Time will tell.I will reserve my judgment until i have seen one in person.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 16:52
The best $300 scope out there is the 6x42 Super Sniper that is unlikely to change.  Anyone trying to engage any type of target at extended distances in low light would quickly appreciate the usefulness of this optic.  7mm exit eye pupil  Tactical / Target knobs.  Mil dot reticle that can be used to determine distance or can be used for known hold over.

Range find An 18 inch chest to brisket DEER
5   mils = 100 yds
4   mils = 125 yds
3   mils = 148 yds
2.5 mils = 200 yds
1.66 mils = 300 yds
1.5  mils = 333 yds
1.25mils = 400 yds
1 mil     = 500 yds
.75 mil = 750 yds
.5 mil  = 1000 yds
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_drift-5.1.cgi print a chart in mil 's of your cartridge then you have your hold over in mils.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
verk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 22:35
I have the Big Bore 6x24x50 30mm Explore optics on my Savage 223 target rifle. Man what A scope! I can see 22cal. bullet holes on paper Targets @400 yards. Have Three of the scopes and will be getting more. Was at the range last week a shooter had a NF ask to look down range. The Nf was very clear scope but the Explore optics was just as clear. I am not saying the explore optics is = to the NF but  for the $ I will buy the Explore optics.
texascraig123 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texascraig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 00:04
I saw these scopes at the gun show for the first time and they looked really good. I purchased the Big Bore 6-24 x 50 with 30mm tube to go on top of my Remington 700P. I was very impressed at the range the first time I used it. Range master bore sighted it for me. 1st shot on paper at 100 yds. 2nd shot dead center bullseye. Probably one of the easiest scope adjustments I have ever made.  One adjustment is all it took. Moved to 200 yds and was really impressed at being able to read the fine print on the bottom of my target. Fired more than 100 rounds that day and was amazed by the scopes abilities to keep its zero and clarity of everything. BUT AND HERE IT COMES!!! 
Opening morning deer season, in the stand 1 hour before daylight cocked locked and ready to rock. Sun comes up enough to be able to see my surroundings and out comes a huge doe. Ease my rifle up, take the safety off and go to look through the scope and saw nothing but fog fog fog. Did I mention the glass on the scope was so fogged up I couldn't see anything. I knew I did just wanted to make sure you got it. FOG!! I called eXplore optics to see what was going on and they told me to wipe the glass with FogX. That is like trying to look through dirty glass. Stick with the brands you know and trust. Luckily, the doe walked within range of my Kimber 45 and went home with me at the end of the day anyway.
If you are found here unlawfully at night, you'll be found here dead in the morning.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 00:38
Mouth Taped Shut
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
texascraig123 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texascraig123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 23:53
Sent eXplore optics an email yesterday about my problem and got a quick response today asking if it was fogging internal or external. I replied back externally and have not heard anything back as of yet. I will post when I hear back from them.  
If you are found here unlawfully at night, you'll be found here dead in the morning.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 19:44

Try a little more practice with breathing control. Any scope will fog on the outside if you breath on the lens.

Ok mike....  I could not help it. Better now?

Edited by 3_tens - January/04/2011 at 19:47
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
TCCowboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 20:02
I have used eXplore optics for some time now. Have one on my AR that I use with the Sheriffs Office Tactical Unit. It's a great piece of hardware. Has not let me down yet. It has seen several thousand rounds and has not moved from where it was sighted in, even getting banged around going through doors and windows. It is bright in low light situations even at the lowest setting, but if you know how to shoot in those situations it comes out on top. Several of the other team members have one now and they like it as well. 
TCCowboy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic